Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 09:58 PM

9 posts, read 28,553 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to Boulder next week. We're super nervous and we know no one that lives there. We visited a handful of times over the summer and fell in love with the area. We're taking a big pay cut moving their from Chicago but we think it'll be worth it in the long run. We're both in our mid twenties, and very much the outdoor types. We both snowboard, cross country ski, hike, rock climb, etc. We're looking at long commutes for work (my wife to Denver, me to Thornton) but luckily it's only 2-3 times a week. Living in Chicago now traffic is so bad I travel 13 miles to work and it takes me 40 minutes so I don't think it'll be too bad. Any advice for the move will be welcome. We're renting a 16' truck and towing a civic, with our other car being shipped there. Hope to get everything put away by tuesday or wednesday so we can get some climbing/snowboarding in before the weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 12:10 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
get a place that is EZ to move in and out of and rent by the month (so you can move if you don't like it).

Get an abode near a park / bus line / and toward outskirts of town (If you like to get outdoors daily).

To meet folks that will help you get settled:
Join / visit several hobby clubs of interest. (photo, hiking, whitewater, climbing, biking, garden, travel...)
Take a few community education classes.
Try a few cross generational activities (community service / library / history ...)

ASK LOTS of questions to everyone you meet.

We 'fled' Colorado in early 1980's while in our 20's and childless... Left all family behind, It was getting too crowded for me (ranch / farm kid from Masonville, CO). Where we landed (PNW), we knew NO ONE, were expecting our first kid (in 3 wks...). We met lots of friends and had no problem getting quality info and fitting in. Ironically, our best friends are still in Colorado, tho most of the really fun and precious ones are now in their 80's (I prefer older folks anyway, they have LOTS of interesting stories, adventures, and a much broader range of interest than folks my age).

Once you have kids you kinda end up being stuck, tho we homeschooled and lived on 3 different continents as a family... the kids (and spouse) were not keen on Colorado, so we stayed on the left coast (everyone but me liked GREEN... not BROWN vegetation. I miss Colo, and am still working on enjoying doing everything in the rain. We get back to CO frequently (like last week). $89 fares SWA and $10 priceline car rentals make for a cheap way to see the sun in the winter.

Coming from Chicago, Boulder will be EZ to enjoy. (hang onto your hats, it is BREEZY in Boulder)

Old 11-21-2011, 06:27 AM

49 posts, read 175,349 times
We moved here in late June and didn't know anyone either. But everyone here is super friendly and we all made friends right away. The good news is the flow of rush hour traffic seems to come into to Boulder from Denver on 36 in the morning. So you should have a smooth ride to Denver and Thornton. Boulder is amazing! Everything I thought it would be. Good luck

Old 11-21-2011, 11:41 AM

724 posts, read 1,935,256 times
Congrats and best wishes!!

Old 11-21-2011, 05:59 PM

166 posts, read 433,032 times
Welcome! Moved to Fort Collins from Grand Rapids MI about a year ago. You will LOVE the weather here ... you can actually get out and do things outdoors from Dec-April .. no shortage of sunshine here. A little different vibe from the midwest, but folks are friendly and helpful to newcomers. Good luck with your move!

Old 11-21-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliemac View Post
Welcome! Moved to Fort Collins from Grand Rapids MI about a year ago. You will LOVE the weather here ... you can actually get out and do things outdoors from Dec-April .. no shortage of sunshine here. A little different vibe from the midwest, but folks are friendly and helpful to newcomers. Good luck with your move!
Thanks! We can't wait to see the sun in the winter!!!

Old 11-23-2011, 09:49 AM

936 posts, read 2,070,284 times
Hey Streetdoctor: did you and your wife make your move yet? How do you like it so far? My partner of 8 years and myself are also moving to Boulder next week..we don't know anyone either. We are in CA now but spent most of our lives in Southeast Michigan. Can't wait!

Old 12-05-2011, 04:06 PM

Yes we did, just in time for the snow! Our first day here it was nearly 70... My wife was walking the dog in flip flops and a T-shirt. I flew back to Chicago for work and two days later I come back to 8" of snow. We love it though! Finally just finished getting everything unpacked yesterday so we really haven't gotten a chance to get out and meet anyone. We did hit Vail yesterday for some skiing/snowboarding on 9" of fresh snow though

Old 12-05-2011, 05:34 PM

724 posts, read 1,935,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdoctor View Post
yes we did, just in time for the snow! Our first day here it was nearly 70... My wife was walking the dog in flip flops and a t-shirt. I flew back to chicago for work and two days later i come back to 8" of snow. We love it though! Finally just finished getting everything unpacked yesterday so we really haven't gotten a chance to get out and meet anyone. We did hit vail yesterday for some skiing/snowboarding on 9" of fresh snow though
drool.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:00 PM

936 posts, read 2,070,284 times
Glad to hear you are enjoying it so much...I just got here Thursday and I go from loving it to thinking it may have been a horrible mistake every day .I guess that comes with the territory of moving though. It's been harder on me than I expected. Once my partner finds a job hopefully ill be able to relax, not worry about money and enjoy my surroundings a little more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area