Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 04:34 PM

3 posts, read 6,085 times

Advertisements

Hello all - I'm a married 40yo male currently living in Portland, Oregon and I've grown sick of the grey gloom that hangs around for 9 months a year. I've visited Boulder a couple of times and loved the weather and the outdoor recreation, so it is #1 on my list of places to move to. However, I'm concerned that there aren't enough 'older' people to hang with, as both times I've been to Boulder it seemed overflowing with young students.

I'm blessed in that I have a high paying tech job that I can do from anywhere, so employment is not a concern.

My ideal afternoon is spent in the sun, having a couple drinks, maybe a toke or two, and listening to good music with some good friends in the back yard.

The biggest challenge of moving to Boulder would be leaving my established friendships in Portland behind. I'd basically be starting my social circle all over again. Any advice/tips on how to meet non-workaholic types that are around my age in Boulder would be appreciated!

Last edited by MadHatterPDX; 04-05-2012 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 07:40 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,475,290 times
Have you been on Pearl Street in the evenings or weekends? Have you visited during Farmers Market season? Trust me, there are plenty of us "old fogeys" hanging around then. We are a shy and retiring species but despite our best efforts scientists have proof that we exist .

You'll get the usual advice for meeting people: thro work, church, the gym, the ubiquitous meetup.com (and that for me is working brilliantly) so I think you'll be okay.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:46 AM

73 posts, read 190,767 times
You will be surprised how easy it will be to find like minded folks here in Boulder. Quite a nice high tech crowd with similar interests. Most folks find their friends very open to visiting and even re locating to our sweet climate and amenities. Many circles of bikers, beer fanatics etc. to meet up with.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:00 PM

Gents - thanks for the tips. I'm definitely going to be doing meetups, indoor soccer teams, snowboarding/skiing. I just wanted to make sure Boulder has more 'types' than students or 60-hour-a-week salary men!

Old 04-13-2012, 10:09 AM

74 posts, read 295,241 times
How about your wife/ spouse? Is he/she coming with you?

Old 04-13-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashdown View Post
How about your wife/ spouse? Is he/she coming with you?
Yes, my wife and daughter will be coming along. My wife is very sociable, so that is another avenue for meeting people.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:51 AM

724 posts, read 1,934,799 times
You know, 40 somethings are HARDLY 'middle-aged'. Just saying, you should ask if they are lots of active, vibrant and positively energetic people just reaching their prime around.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:10 PM

1,665 posts, read 4,368,131 times
Here in Boulder you'll tire of the warm and windy (albeit sunny) weather we have on a regular basis, and the sustained drought. Ironically, it drove one of my best friends to move to Portland. There was a woman involved too...

Old 04-14-2012, 07:50 AM

462 posts, read 1,173,923 times
I'm middle aged but I've never lived in Boulder so I can't speak directly to your post. It's a real problem in all of the mountain towns I lived in though. There are always a lot of young people that are here for the skiing and a lot of retirees who just hang out. Middle aged people who want a career are few and far between because in most mountain towns, there isn't anything that could seriously be considered "an economy". That leaves a pretty big hole in the demographics so if you ever decide to live in the mountains, give it some thought. You should be fine on the front range.

I sure don't want to jack your thread but I'm moving to OR. Because of SAD, I want to stay in the "sunny" southern part (Grants Pass, Medford, Ashland). Ever live down south? Any advice? I'm self employed btw.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:47 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnuts View Post
I'm middle aged but I've never lived in Boulder so I can't speak directly to your post. It's a real problem in all of the mountain towns I lived in though. There are always a lot of young people that are here for the skiing and a lot of retirees who just hang out. Middle aged people who want a career are few and far between because in most mountain towns, there isn't anything that could seriously be considered "an economy". That leaves a pretty big hole in the demographics so if you ever decide to live in the mountains, give it some thought. You should be fine on the front range.
Was this a surprise to you? Mountain towns are pretty singularly dimensional in their economies. Not a whole lot of options for "careers". Definitely would not be my first option if I was looking for a career move. Most people in them are not "lifers", and just there for a few years to experience the mountain town atmosphere.

Boulder is not a mountain town though, which I think you know.

East of the Cascades in OR is much sunnier and drier than the Western side, but it's still not going to be the same sun level as you would be used to in Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area