Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 12:02 AM

7 posts, read 13,864 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

Some forum posts here say that Louisville/Superior/other Boulder satellites are less liberal than Boulder. Is this really true?

I am a religious, conservative family guy, and I think the whole "global warming" theory is hogwash. Am I just going to hate living in Louisville/Superior and working in Boulder because others will not be so accepting of my views? Or is there a chance for me? Despite how nice the area appears, I am really concerned that we're not going to fit in at all. However, I have a job opportunity there and the housing is much cheaper than my current locale (still waiting to get into my first house). I really want to like the Boulder area.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 08:18 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,475,290 times
I think you may have a hard time, especially in Boulder. Admittedly people there are not as liberal as they would like to think but there are a lot of attitudes and opinions that you may have difficulty dealing with. I hate to put anyone off Boulder but just read today's Boulder DailyCamera.com: Colorado, News, Business, Sports, Homes, Jobs, Cars & Information - Boulder Daily Camera for an idea of what to expect.

You might actually find Denver or further south a bit easier to live with.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:23 AM

377 posts, read 1,054,633 times
Honestly, you probably won't like it.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:28 AM

31 posts, read 125,772 times
I've found the suburbs around Boulder to not be as liberal as the folks in Boulder itself. Seems to be a mix of liberal and conservative to me, and I can't recall a conversation with anyone in our neighborhood who seemed so severely political one way or the other that they couldn't play nice with others.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:27 PM

5 posts, read 11,625 times
Overall, I think Boulder is a really kind and understanding town. There are a bunch of annoying liberals, but I would be shocked if you didn't find friends and enjoy a good life here. There is a variety of people, no matter where you live. The schools are great and I'm sure your kids would love it. I'm Boulder bred, middle of the road and religious. If you do find your way to Boulder, I highly recommend First Presbyterian Church of Boulder. FANTASTIC community and a great place to worship.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
There are a lot of scientists in Boulder working on the climate change issue, so you might find a lot of people with whom you disagree at church, school, sports, etc. That said, some people can keep politics out of their interactions with others. Some can't conscience people who do not believe in evolution; some don't care. Many of these people also live in Louisville, Lafayette, Superior, etc.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:18 AM

7 posts, read 13,864 times
Thanks for the responses everyone!

Old 12-08-2009, 09:25 AM

229 posts, read 750,932 times
I think you'll be fine with the religious thing and the conservative thing as people can be accepting. But the "whole 'global warming' theory is hogwash" - you might just want to keep that to yourself.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,352 times
Move to Erie, I am very conservative and have lived here 5 years and really enjoy it. Most people outside of the Boulder city limits refer to the City of Boulder as 10 miles surrounded by reality. I do believe Boulder County is trending more conservative due to growth in Towns such as Erie, Louisville and others. I really enjoy living in Erie.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:01 AM

15 posts, read 38,888 times
There's a reason why Colorado Natives call people who live in Boulder "Boulerites". Move outside of Boulder and steer clear of the area when you are not at work. Back in 2003 my son was wearing a "My Daddy Fights for Your Freedom" shirt and I had a lady come up to my son and tell him my husband was a baby killer. We are from Weld County and I will never go back to Boulder again because of that incident.

There are too many hippie type transplants that have taken over what once was a great town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area