Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 11:56 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times

Advertisements

Excellent comment here from HOF ref Joe Cortez. He says Pacman is declining faster than Floyd is, and of course both are past their primes. I agree with this. I have always felt that Floyd could beat Pacman. Floyd's just too good, too great a fighter.

Pacquiao declining faster than Mayweather, says Hall of Fame ref | Sports | GMA News Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 02:05 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,574 times
It's a real shame we never got to see them fight, especially about five years ago. That would have been an epic match. Neither fighter excites me today, they've declined too much. Still, it does make you wonder how it would have turned out.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:35 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Meanwhile Manny's legs look great, reflexes are sharp and stamina is excellent. It's no secret that Joe Cortez is Floyd's favorite ref and with good reason. I see no signs that Manny is fading faster than Floyd, especially given Floyd's last performance against Maidana where he ran and clinched all night. Floyd doesn't have the legs to stand in front of his opponent and make them miss, or to throw punches in combinations. Ironically, it is Manny who has about 17 more fights on his record than Floyd, yet he still throws twice as many punches per round and puts on a great fight.

I will say that this fight is past it's expiration date. Neither of them will be at their prime if they finally sign for fight in 2015, but don't count on it. Floyd has come up with a dozen or so excuses to avoid the fight and he will not risk his unbeaten record against the like of Pacquiao, Thurman, Golovkin or any other dangerous fighter. In fact, the rumor floating around boxing circles right now is that Floyd may move up to 160 to pluck a title from the weakest link, Jermain Taylor. I made this prediction that his big surprise for 2015 would be a move to 160 to steal a title in a sixth weight class against the worst of the lot. Right now, his prospects for May are either the winner of Khan/Alexander or Taylor.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:03 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,279,139 times
Not sure about Floyd ducking dangerous fighters. Can we really say that Algieri is a bigger threat than Canelo or Maidana? If Floyd signed a fight vs Algieri you bet people would be angry.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:55 PM

I'm not crazy about the Algieri fight, and I think he was given a gift against Provodnikov. But, Al Haymon owns most of the talent at 140 and 147 and he is not about to allow Mayweather, Danny Garcia, Khan, Thurman, or any of his other fighters in his stable to risk a loss against Manny. So Manny is fighting whoever is available. Right now it happens to be a younger, bigger, undefeated champion who can jab, move on his feet, box, and has heart. He may not be a household name but he is not a flat-footed brawler who fights with his chin out in front of him like Guerrero, Rios, Alvarez, Ortiz and Maidana.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:50 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times
Manny's been in some wars, unlike Mayweather who hasn't been tested since Cotto, and before that who knows when. I think Mayweather Sr. said that his boy doesn't even realize that he'd pick Manny apart. Southpaws eventually lead with their chin in a fight and Mayweather would probably pick him apart, if Manny could stand it and not get frustrated like he usually does, he would have a chance because Mayweather hasn't fought anyone with Manny's hand speed and foot work.

If they fought in a phone booth, I'd give it to Pacman, but in a ring I think at this point Mayweather would win.

As for GGG, Floyd doesn't want any part of that even at 154.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Manny's been in some wars, unlike Mayweather who hasn't been tested since Cotto, and before that who knows when. I think Mayweather Sr. said that his boy doesn't even realize that he'd pick Manny apart. Southpaws eventually lead with their chin in a fight and Mayweather would probably pick him apart, if Manny could stand it and not get frustrated like he usually does, he would have a chance because Mayweather hasn't fought anyone with Manny's hand speed and foot work.

If they fought in a phone booth, I'd give it to Pacman, but in a ring I think at this point Mayweather would win.

As for GGG, Floyd doesn't want any part of that even at 154.
I agree. If a fight between Pac and Floyd happened and someone won by KO/TKO it would be Manny. If someone one by decision it would be Floyd. Pac has more dynamite in his punches while Floyd is an all around better boxer. Can go either way.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:47 AM

592 posts, read 802,755 times
Pacman was crushing eye sockets and knocking everybody out for a while, but it's been a while since he's had a knockout...seems like ever since the steroid thing came about, his ko's have declined...and he's also been knocked out cold. Floyd has never really been a big power puncher, so he's basically still doing the same he's always done..Pretty easy to see who has declined more IMO.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Improve View Post
Pacman was crushing eye sockets and knocking everybody out for a while, but it's been a while since he's had a knockout...seems like ever since the steroid thing came about, his ko's have declined...and he's also been knocked out cold. Floyd has never really been a big power puncher, so he's basically still doing the same he's always done..Pretty easy to see who has declined more IMO.
Good observations. Since the whole steroid thing he has lots power and got knocked out cold. Floyd has always shown to be a pure boxer with great accuracy. It's unbelievable how in his last fight Maidana threw all this punches while Floyd threw less and yet connected more than Maidana.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Improve View Post
The false steroid accusations came from Floyd and Floyd alone, when he was looking for an excuse to duck him. Manny has never tested positive for steroids and has never shown any tell-tale physical signs of steroid use. Funny you should mention that, because I don't see Floyd cheerleaders accusing Marquez of steroid use when he has shown obvious signs of steroid use and refuses VADA testing. This after hiring a notorious and convicted steroid pusher for a trainer.

That aside, Floyd is now running and clinching a lot more, only threw 27 punches per round in his last fight, and is easier to hit now. This, against flat-footed slow fighters. Meanwhile, Manny is fighting younger undefeated opponents with advantages of their own coming into the fight. Count on Floyd's next opponent to be the winner of Khan/Alexander or worse, a move to 160 to pluck a title from the weakest link...a shot Jermain Taylor. With Alvarez vs Cotto anticipated for May, Mayweather will be in desperation mode for an opponent who a PPV draw or adds some level of drama to the fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing