Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 04:51 PM

6 posts, read 9,424 times

Advertisements

We are talking to a company in Bozeman about a job opportunity and have a question about getting around in the winter. I have driven in snow and ice and feel comfortable doing so, just wondering about getting a jeep or suburban to have to get around in and maybe do some trail riding as well. We currently have a 2010 Subaru Forrester and 2004 Suzuki Vitara thats rear wheel drive so it will not be the best in the winter weather. Just looking for some input from people that are there and know how the winter weather gets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 05:57 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,674,687 times
We both drive pick up, Ford and Toy
The Subaru might be ok but I would want another vehicle with some weight on it.
Hang on, others will stop by.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:24 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
1) You first off, need a reliable vehicle. Sounds like you have that covered on both counts.

2) Both of your vehicles will do fine. Where are you planning on living? In town or in the country? In town, the roads are bladed fairly well so that traffic flows around town. If you live on a school bus route, it's even better because those get bladed first along with main roads to hospitals, and Fire Department access.

I would prefer to have a 2 wheel drive that is REAR wheel drive. They do better in snow and ice if you just put a little weight in the rear. At least with rear wheel drive you don't loose steering every time you break traction. Both of your vehicles need a little weight. I'd simply buy 4 bags of Redi-Crete and put in the back of each. That is now more then what the front end has.

If you are going to live in the country, then you might think about a more heavy duty rig with 4 wheel drive. Just depends on your access to maintained roads.

As far as doing a little trail busting, if you stay on approved Forest Service roads and trails, there are very few places that 4 wheel drive are needed. You do need a little more clearence then a car, but not much.

Getting around isn't like it was 20 years ago when you HAD to have a 4 wheel drive truck with extra weight and 2 sets of chains in order to get to work.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:57 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,674,687 times
EH, I have ready mix in the back LOL!

Old 08-06-2010, 08:37 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,121,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
1)

I would prefer to have a 2 wheel drive that is REAR wheel drive. They do better in snow and ice if you just put a little weight in the rear. At least with rear wheel drive you don't loose steering every time you break traction. Both of your vehicles need a little weight. I'd simply buy 4 bags of Redi-Crete and put in the back of each.

Getting around isn't like it was 20 years ago when you HAD to have a 4 wheel drive truck with extra weight and 2 sets of chains in order to get to work.
..Agree 100 % about preferring Rear wheel drive.......(6) 60# Bags of Sand (equal to (2) adults) and a shovel were 'standard equipment' where I grew up and started drivin' in 1942. If you ever did need 'a little something' to get you up a hill from a dead stop......all you had to do was dip your coffee can into one of the sand bags, and 'do a little spreadin'............

Last edited by Montana Griz; 08-06-2010 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: Edit: clarification

Old 08-08-2010, 08:52 AM

Thank you all for the information, I was wishing the weather would give me an excuse to get a Jeep or something. I know the Forester will do great in the snow and I have had the Vitara in some snow and ice and it does not do bad at all but it has a very short wheel base for an SUV. Do they clean the interstate off as well? The job we are in the running for is in Bozeman and was wondering if maybe we could live out near Belgrade or Manhattan area.
Thanks

Old 08-08-2010, 09:27 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
If the plows have visibility, they constantly plow. If they don't have visibility, they close the road and nobody goes anywhere.

You'll see times that the plows set on an on ramp and just wait for enough snow to accumulate so they can plow. They'll run all night if it's snowing. Specially around and through towns. There are remote area's that they plow less but that's getting few and far between.

In towns, the city plows will plow fire routes, hospital routes, and school routes constantly throughout the night.

So they've actually taken all the fun out of winter driving. What ever happened to "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Old 08-08-2010, 01:09 PM

214 posts, read 601,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerfear View Post
Thank you all for the information, I was wishing the weather would give me an excuse to get a Jeep or something. I know the Forester will do great in the snow and I have had the Vitara in some snow and ice and it does not do bad at all but it has a very short wheel base for an SUV. Do they clean the interstate off as well? The job we are in the running for is in Bozeman and was wondering if maybe we could live out near Belgrade or Manhattan area.
Thanks
By all means bring a Jeep up here if you need an excuse. There's many of them around and we all wave at each other when we drive by. Jeeps are an exclusive club here in Montana. Mine has gotten me through just about all weather or road conditions. I scare the crap out of people with those ATV's when I get mine all the way up to the base of tall mountains. Recommend buying one in the state where you'll be coming from. In Bozeman they're great for getting around traffic jams and roadblocks by going over medians and islands in the streets for doing U turns. While others are curious about looking at the accident or DUI stop you'll be conviently transported away in a quick 180! Besides, if you've seen one accident or DUI stop you've seen them all. I've even climbed up or down embackments to get off the highways. This is looked down upon here in Montana but it's tough to break old city boy habits.

Last edited by Jbechtel; 08-08-2010 at 01:51 PM..

Old 08-08-2010, 05:25 PM

Jbechtel,
I would like to another Cherokee, had two be got rid of the last one when gas went crazy. I can come up with humdred of reason to get another cherokee, more room, can haul stuff in it, can put fly rods in without taking them down, stuff like that might help sell the ideal. I would love to get about a 95 to 97 model, those were the best years.

Elkhunter down here we use the phrase " hey y'all watch this" I have said this maybe a couple of times.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:45 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
If your vehicles do not already have them installed, look into getting engine heaters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman