Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 11:30 AM

3 posts, read 13,167 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm planning on visiting West Yellowstone and taking a snow coach there. I will be coming from I-90, from Bozeman. After reading few threads online and asking at hotels I still have mixed feelings about driving there on a bmw 3 series, rear-wheel drive, all-year-round tires.

I'm planning on taking the 191 at noon-ish this Saturday. It should be sunny until thursday, little snow on friday. What do you think of me driving on 191 to West Yellowstone? Is it too risky? Or its just I have to go slower and be careful? Is the road steep at all? Is it required to have snow chains on?

I reside in Indiana and it can be tricky drive on snow (5+ inches), but 191 should be ploughed right?

I appreciate any input!

Thanks,
Peter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 12:22 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,002,709 times
Darn, I posted a long response and lost it...

The road to West Yellowstone from Bozeman is up a canyon with two lanes that curve along the route of the Gallatin river.

I don't drive it in the winter any more after having a close call.

Don't drive it in the dark, since you are not familiar with the road. There are many curves and steep drop offs. There is traffic that backs up, including semi trucks in the mix, and others who are not driving correctly for the road conditions.

Watch for ice in the shady places. The road is plowed, so you won't need chains. Watch out for the other drivers. Some will get impatient and try to pass when they shouldn't.

We just lost a a young man from Bozeman in an accident this weekend on 191.
Man who died in Sunday wreck on Highway 191 identified - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle: County

Hope that helps.

H.I.
Bozeman

Old 01-02-2012, 12:38 PM

It is a beautiful drive. Enjoy it and at the same time, keep your eyes on the road.

H.I.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:23 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
You should be fine, day or night. BMW's do have headlights, don't they?

Just drive for the conditions.

Here is the weather outlook:

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREAT FALLS MT
452 AM MST MON JAN 2 2012

MTZ015-055-031200-
MADISON-GALLATIN-
452 AM MST MON JAN 2 2012

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR PORTIONS OF SOUTHWEST
MONTANA.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT

AN AVALANCHE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR PORTIONS OF GALLATIN
AND MADISON COUNTIES UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...TUESDAY THROUGH SUNDAY

THE PROBABILITY FOR WIDESPREAD HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS LOW.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:49 PM

There's more drunks driving in the darker hours, more ice after the sun goes down, and more critters surprising you on the road. But, you plan to go up in the daytime, you wrote, so stick to that plan.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:00 PM

Watch for "House Rock" in the Gallatin, a cool sight to see in the river.

http://youtu.be/H7H_vEACcco

Old 01-02-2012, 05:29 PM

You could also avoid the canyon by taking the alternate route of
Bozeman to Ennis To West Yellowstone.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:26 PM

Thank you for responses. I still need to buy snow chains somewhere in Rapid City or Bozeman for West Yellowstone as i heard it has constant layer of snow.

Thanks!
Peter

Old 01-02-2012, 10:41 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
Thank you for responses. I still need to buy snow chains somewhere in Rapid City or Bozeman for West Yellowstone as i heard it has constant layer of snow.

Thanks!
Peter
If you are looking at packed snow or ice, I highly recommend a set of cables. If you are looking at deep snow, then chains are the only way to go.

The advantage of cables are that they install in under a minute per tire. They allow for much less clearance. They also allow you to travel at 50+ mph where chains severly limit your speed, and when you hit the dry patches, with cables you can keep on going, you don't have to slow to a crawl. Also, they don't chew up your tires. I've run hundreds of miles at a time with cables and in packed snow and ice, they'll dig just as good, if not better, then chains. Wal-Mart carrys them and they are cheaper then chains. They come in a small plastic box, so they store well in the trunk.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:45 AM

I will keep that in mind. Hopefully I can get them in some walmart on the way.

Peter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman