Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2010, 12:07 PM

12 posts, read 31,144 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are putting the house up for sale this springs and looking to head to warmer waters, which brings me to the question at hand. Is Melbourne Beach or any of the surrounding coastal towns the right fit for our family? We got a soon to be kindergartener who is ready for a great education and ocean life. We love to garden, want to begin sailing, and value community. That is not to say we plan on joining a religious institution or anything. Actually, a town that is too hyper religious would be a turn off for us. We've lived in Ft Lauderdale, Delray Beach, and Homestead, FL prior to settling down (grad school/environmental work) but have not had the chance to see the space coast. Actually we are coming for a visit in a month. From the brief description I've provided do you think this would be a good fit for us or should we be considering Satellite or some of the other areas? Melbourne Beach/Floridana Beach looked good to us due to its lack of development but sometime that just means its a dumpy area. Any thoughts or suggestion are greatly appreciated. BTW our first priority is an excellent school district. Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 06:59 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Melbourne Beach and Floridana Beach are very nice beach towns, however the schools beyond elementary school aren't the strongest. I'd recommend Satellite Beach where the schools are very good to excellent. Satellite Beach is less built up and more residential in feel than Melbourne/Floridana's highrises along the beach. It's by no means dumpy in Satellite Beach.

http://satellitebeachfl.org/default.aspx
Sea Park Elementary School (http://www.brevard.k12.fl.us/ScoreCard/schools/seapark.asp - broken link)
Delaura Middle School (http://www.brevard.k12.fl.us/ScoreCard/schools/delaura.asp - broken link)
Satellite High School (http://www.brevard.k12.fl.us/ScoreCard/schools/satellite.asp - broken link)

Old 12-12-2010, 05:13 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
The lack of 'development' south of 192 (Melbourne Beach) is both beautiful and appealing -- but, there is a reason for that. While a 'causeway' south of 192 has been discussed over the years, the closest one (south) is still Wabasso ... which makes it a pretty long drive for folks who work in Melbourne. As a point of reference, we lived in Satellite Beach and worked in the Palm Bay area for years (a 30-35 minute drive - with any of three 'causeways'). A co-worker lived in Melbourne Beach (south) and spent about an hour (one way) to get to the same office. But, they loved it in MB and felt like the drive was worthwhile.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:32 AM

12 posts, read 31,144 times
Thank you for the feedback. We will actually be flying into town this week and will be spending some time seeing a few homes and exploring the area. One of the reasons for moving is to be closer to amenities so your insight about the distance issue is well received. The school piece is a big deal for us and Satellite Beach definite is appealing for that reason. I do have one question about the people in the area. In the past I have lived in South Florida and found that many people weren't that courteous, friendly, or with all that much substance. I am sorry to be sounding so judgmental but I really appreciate being part of a community and found that even neighbors would ignore simple greetings in passing. Actually when I was living in a predominantly Haitian neighborhood in Delray Beach I found the people to be quite freindly, which made such a difference to me. What is your sense of the people in Satellite and Melbourne area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County