Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 04:24 PM

34 posts, read 69,262 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am a 52 year old woman who recently retired in January of this year. I’ve been searching since May for a place to stay in the Space Coast area. The search has not been an easy one because I am in California and I want to live in Florida on the Space Coast. I have never been to Florida – and in fact I am following my family who loves the state and have been to Disney World over 15 times!. Your forums have meant the world to me and I have
found out about neighborhoods, places to eat, things to do, and safety all in one easily searchable area. Thank-you for posts!

Being over 2 thousand miles away and having a deadline to move is a stressful event in and of itself. Couple that with the fact that some real estate agents are better than others in getting back to you in a timely manner and that makes for not one of the best times in my life. I have literally sent 50 or 60 emails to agents asking them various questions about properties on Padmapper or Trulia Rent, etc., and it was my experience that most did not reply to me – some responded weeks after I asked the question and some answered me right away. I’ve looked at hundreds of properties – all online – and have read countless internet articles about places to live. I thought I found the perfect property and called an agent about a “pet friendly,” condo for rent. After waiting for her reply which was a few days – I was very excited to hear that it was still available and would take my cats. Right before I was going to spend money on the application, another agent emailed me – she had seen my ad on Craigslist looking for housing and she wished me luck on my search. She also told me she would be more than willing to assist me in any way she could. In addition, she emailed me some properties that she thought I might be interested in. One of the properties she showed me was the place I was going to put in an application in for. When I told her I was waiting for the agent to call me back with information on submitting an application, the agent who offered to help me called some other agents who had rentals in the same complex and my new agent found out that the condo complex was not pet friendly! With regards to another property, an agent told me that I would have to pay water, cable and electricity but while I was waiting for them to get back with me I did some detective work and I found out the association paid for everything but electricity!

I am in no way bashing real estate agents. I know how hard they work My brother, who is a real estate agent in California has worked every day of his life since he took on the job. But what I can say is my experience and my experience has had it’s pitfalls. I am happy to report now that after my two month search I finally found an agent who is a pleasure to work with. She responds to my emails almost immediately, is willing to help me with a rental place or to buy a property and has integrity. She has now become my eyes and ears in Florida and you don’t know how comforting that is to know that I have someone who is willing to preview properties for me, contact listing agents, review contracts, etc. I know that no advertising is allowed on here but if you would like to have her name and number please email me. Maybe I can save some of you some heartache in looking for your new place. I know that a referral is worth more than any advertisement. My email is: professormsm@yahoo.com. Looking forward to moving to your lovely state in August.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 07:33 PM

104 posts, read 240,803 times
Hope you find a place quickly. Let us know how thing go finding a place and your move to your new home.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:40 PM

Thanks for your well wishes Elwyn! I certainly will!

Old 06-18-2012, 09:27 PM

334 posts, read 1,152,771 times
It has been my experience that real estate Gents typically respond better to phone calls. I don't know why. I'd much rather email than call, but that's my experience at least.

Have you thought about getting a real estate agent to act as a buyers agent? That would make things much easier for you since you're not close by.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:00 AM

198 posts, read 464,967 times
Cindy,

I have emailed you as I am in the same position you are.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:28 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,239,818 times
FYI, the majority of real estate agents don't (read: can't afford to) represent renters. Unless a renter is going to be buying later the pay is just too little. I've seen agents in my office spend literally days investigating and showing multiple rentals to clients and in the end getting a check for less than $200 or no check at all when the renter found something themselves on Craigslist. Many of us would like to help every person who contacts us but the economics of rentals exclude rentals for agents who depend on their real estate income to feed the family. Congrats on finding one who was helpful.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:01 AM

Hi everyone. Good morning and thanks
For your comments. I've emailed my agent's
Information to those of you who have
Asked for it. Please wish me luck. I think
I've found a place in Indian Harbour Beach
That I think fits my needs and the needs
Of my cats. My agent is going to visit
Them this week for me to check it out.
I love the fact that I could be living on a
Canal - across the street is the river and
Half a mile away is the beach!
Prayers and or good thoughts my way
Will be greatly appreciated! Cindy

Old 06-19-2012, 09:22 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,216,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
FYI, the majority of real estate agents don't (read: can't afford to) represent renters. Unless a renter is going to be buying later the pay is just too little. I've seen agents in my office spend literally days investigating and showing multiple rentals to clients and in the end getting a check for less than $200 or no check at all when the renter found something themselves on Craigslist. Many of us would like to help every person who contacts us but the economics of rentals exclude rentals for agents who depend on their real estate income to feed the family. Congrats on finding one who was helpful.
Yes, this is definitely something worth pointing out to those who aren't aware of the economics behind realtors & rentals.

I have a home I rent out (not in Brevard) and I use the same realtor every time I need a new tenant. She has mentioned the amount of people that usually contact her for rentals but its just not worth her time.

Its kind of a shame that there isn't a better commission model for realtors to help renters out. But the reality is that any realtor working with a renter has to consider that a longer term investment of time. Because $200 is not worth an entire day (or days) worth of showings.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:24 AM

Hi all. Good morning. Thank-you for all your
Well wishes and kind words. I've gotten a lot
Of emails asking for my agents name and number
So here it is: Meili Viera and her phone number
Is 321-848-7344. Her email is Meiliviera@hotmail.com
Yesterday she previewed the apartment I
Applied for. Please cross your fingers that I
Get it. Feel free to email me y'all. Cindy

Old 06-21-2012, 10:12 AM

3,979 posts, read 8,187,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyBeggs View Post
Hi all. Good morning. Thank-you for all your
Well wishes and kind words. I've gotten a lot
Of emails asking for my agents name and number
So here it is: Meili Viera and her phone number
Is 321-848-7344. Her email is Meiliviera@hotmail.com
Yesterday she previewed the apartment I
Applied for. Please cross your fingers that I
Get it. Feel free to email me y'all. Cindy
Wishing you luck on the apartment. Hope it is all you wish for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County