Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 02:58 PM

13 posts, read 17,869 times

Advertisements

I am an electrical engineer working for a major defense contractor here in New York. I am contemplating moving my family down to the Palm Bay/Melbourne area to work for another major defense contractor. We come from a very diverse area of Long Island plus we are used to very expensive taxes and housing. Given the move, we hope to alleviate ourselves of paying such high taxes, purchase a house around $250k-$350k, and put our kids in excellent schools, while also providing them a good environment to grow up in. They are in early elementary school. What areas in Melbourne, developments, gated communities are recommended. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 04:32 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Viera, west Melbourne, beachside areas like indiatlantic, satellite or Indian harbour beach. Wouldn't recommend palm bay, personally

Old 11-20-2012, 07:26 PM

17 posts, read 33,820 times
Hello, I myself am a fellow New York transplant to Brevard county. I live in Palm Bay and purchased my home here a few years ago .... I have a well paid job as do alot of my neighbors and we all love living in Palm Bay! Many work for Harris, Etc. The cost of living here is great compared to Melbourne, Beachside, & Viera. The people that say " They wouldn't recommend Palm bay " tend to be very uptight and snobish really. There are alot of shady areas in melbourne I must say as there are only a few streets in Palm Bay that are questionable. Palm Bay has people from all walks of life and is very diverse which coming from NYC I enjoy. The other mentioned areas do not have the same atmosphere. There are excellent schools in Palm Bay as well. I guess to each his own but if you are looking for a break from the outrageous COL in Long Island dont scratch PB off the drawing board without really looking into some the great perks of living here ..... I hope this helps. Best of luck in your search!

Old 11-22-2012, 11:53 AM

153 posts, read 358,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brevardscout85 View Post
The people that say " They wouldn't recommend Palm bay " tend to be very uptight and snobish really. There are alot of shady areas in melbourne I must say as there are only a few streets in Palm Bay that are questionable.
This is the general attitude of people from PB in regards to people in Viera. All that chopchop said of PB is that he wouldn't recommend it personally, and now everyone outside of PB is generalized as being uptight and snobbish. The fact of the matter is that there are MANY questionable areas of PB, more than people from PB may like to admit, but isn't that the case for every town? You can find good neighborhoods in PB, Viera or anywhere else in the county, have great neighbors, enjoy the Florida weather and be happy. If that happens to be in Viera then good for you, if in PB then good for you too - but it doesn't automatically make you uptight or snobbish as Brevardscout85 puts it by choosing Viera. I live in Viera, have a high paid position as well as a diverse neighborhood with high income neighbors and some not so much. It seems like to me that every time someone from PB chimes in, they are trashing Viera, referencing cookie cutter houses and quoting themselves as having "high paying jobs and diverse neighbors" as if they are trying to prove something. My advise would be to visit the area, find the right fit for you and your family and be happy. $250K - $350K will get you more for your money in PB than in Viera, but IN OUR CASE Viera was a better fit and we have not regretted it once since moving here. Guess we're just Viera snobs ..... (but at least we're happy ones!)

Old 11-22-2012, 08:55 PM

17 posts, read 33,820 times
Florida_Vince, I have not mentioned Viera in a negative way at all. Nor said anything about the cookie cutter homes (You said it lol). I personally live in Palm Bay and enjoy living here. I simply gave the OP my opinion based on the fact that I understand where they are coming from with NY housing and taxes the way they are. I'm sure like myself they want more home for the money. In Palm Bay I purchased a great home with over 2000 sq ft with an inground pool in my yard (not my community pool) in an A-rated school district for $250k. But, I have seen "ChopChop" rant about PB in the past and just thought it was time to stand up for my home. Its my review and I will word it as I please. Keep in mind Viera expanded not so long ago as PB has been around for quite some time. In time Viera may have more "questionable" areas. Take care pal!

Old 11-22-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Florida_Vince, I have not mentioned Viera in a negative way at all. Nor said anything about the cookie cutter homes (You said it lol). I personally live in Palm Bay and enjoy living here. I simply gave the OP my opinion based on the fact that I understand where they are coming from with NY housing and taxes the way they are. I'm sure like myself they want more home for the money. In Palm Bay I purchased a great home with over 2000 sq ft with an inground pool in my yard (not my community pool) in an A-rated school district for $250k. But, I have seen "ChopChop" rant about PB in the past and just thought it was time to stand up for my home. Its my review and I will word it as I please. Keep in mind Viera expanded not so long ago as PB has been around for quite some time. In time Viera may have more "questionable" areas. Take care pal!
didnt really rant in that post, but to each his own

Old 11-25-2012, 07:54 PM

153 posts, read 358,090 times
Quote:
Giving an opinion is one thing but labeling people as "uptight and snobbish" for giving theirs is another. I'll leave it at that and not turn this into a Palm Bay vs the rest of the county posting. I hope the OP finds what they're looking for here in Brevard and advise them to make a visit here and look around.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:33 AM

13 posts, read 17,869 times
Thank you for the feedback thus far. Some other considerations:

I also have family in Palm Beach Gardens. Is there a location between Palm Bay that is as good as PB or Melbourne or does it pretty much get very rural south of Palm Bay. I think I would tolerate a 30-40 min drive to work in PB, but at the same time I need to satisfy the following:

I have two young children (7 yrs old and 2yrs old). We consider the quality of schooling extremely important.

I have a mother in law who doesn't drive, who also watches my kids, so its very important to be located near convenience stores (walking distance or by bus)

I have a wife who likes to go out and shop, so not being to far from deparment stores is a plus also.
In looking at Google Earth yesterday it seems that PB and Melbourne have everything we need.

The other aspect we have to look into is my wife's job potential. She is the in the psychology field.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solosys View Post
Thank you for the feedback thus far. Some other considerations:

I also have family in Palm Beach Gardens. Is there a location between Palm Bay that is as good as PB or Melbourne or does it pretty much get very rural south of Palm Bay. I think I would tolerate a 30-40 min drive to work in PB, but at the same time I need to satisfy the following:

I have two young children (7 yrs old and 2yrs old). We consider the quality of schooling extremely important.

I have a mother in law who doesn't drive, who also watches my kids, so its very important to be located near convenience stores (walking distance or by bus)

I have a wife who likes to go out and shop, so not being to far from deparment stores is a plus also.
In looking at Google Earth yesterday it seems that PB and Melbourne have everything we need.

The other aspect we have to look into is my wife's job potential. She is the in the psychology field.
quite frankly, I am not a fan of the treasure coast (i.e. areas starting at and south of Sebastian, FL and going through vero/Ft Piece/Port St Lucie). It's less densely populated than Brevard county and the schools are also not quite as good (on the whole..... Brevard is a top 10 district in the state after all). Melbourne is a younger, more vibrant community IMO than what you'll find further south. I also think the schools are more solid, especially in areas such as Viera and on the beachside (Satellite, Indiatlantic, Cocoa Beach).

As others have said, you should try and make a trip down here to figure out what will best serve you. Working in palm bay, I feel that West Melbourne, Viera, or the beachside areas would be your best bet.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:30 PM

2,962 posts, read 5,001,666 times
Palm city and Stuart have very good schools. Palm city is very family oriented. But quite a hike from Palm Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County