Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2012, 11:02 AM

28 posts, read 49,473 times

Advertisements

I am a 56, caucasion, ukrainian orthodox, divorced professional retired female wondering if there are any Fl residents with a similar background who are here on this site.. My family is in NY and I am looking to form friendships within the Brevard county community
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 07:17 PM

i can honestly say brevard county has truly deteriorated... looking on returning back to NY.. this town has no jobs... thanks to the retired shuttle program BIG mistake... why did they retire the shuttle program,, loss of jobs, talented engineers...

Old 01-18-2013, 09:49 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,101,409 times
...why didn't you get a job here BEFORE you moved? That was rather dumb, wouldn't you say?

Old 01-20-2013, 05:42 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUARIUS56 View Post
i can honestly say brevard county has truly deteriorated... looking on returning back to NY.. this town has no jobs... thanks to the retired shuttle program BIG mistake... why did they retire the shuttle program,, loss of jobs, talented engineers...
It was a program that had a beginning and and end planned at its inception. It actually lasted longer-about 15 years- than it was supposed to. Everyone that was employed for it knew this. The same thing happened between all of the space programs. Between the Appollo and Skylab programs there was a gap till the shuttle craft was brought to the space center. Then once the craft was here I think it took 4 or 5 years in development before the first flight flew. I remember in 1975 I saw my first rocket launch(Apollo-Soyuz) and heard more about the shuttle program while down here. I decided to move down and be here for that program, but it took 5 years before there was a launch. Not only did I go to the first launch but I went with a husband and child that I didn't have when I decided I had to be here for the launch. <VBG>

Things tighten up before the next program begins; but it isn't like the 60s when people who worked for the space program were putting signs in the windows of their homes that said " Take over payment for $100." in order to survive. There are other industries in the area to help get the people of this county through the gaps now. Of course being laid off is like having a death in the family for a while when it happens to you, but most of the engineers and such do plan for their futures knowing that programs end.

As for the statement....Brevard has deteriated? It is so much more than it was 30 years ago.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:38 PM

555 posts, read 892,727 times
Rabflmom, I always enjoy your positive comments. My husband grew up in Melbourne, and visits to his relatives have made me want to spend more time in Brevard County. It seems not as frantic as Fort Lauderdale or as congested as parts of the Gulf Coast, but it's always felt perfectly safe to this small-town person, and the beaches are like the Florida I remember from my long-ago childhood.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:56 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
Rabflmom, I always enjoy your positive comments. My husband grew up in Melbourne, and visits to his relatives have made me want to spend more time in Brevard County. It seems not as frantic as Fort Lauderdale or as congested as parts of the Gulf Coast, but it's always felt perfectly safe to this small-town person, and the beaches are like the Florida I remember from my long-ago childhood.
Thank you. Its a great place to live. We've been happy here and that is what counts in life.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
...why didn't you get a job here before you moved? That was rather dumb, wouldn't you say?
I AM RETIRED! Clearly Melbourne-Brevard County is not a place to move to if you are a college graduate with a -4- year degree and require an excellent career paying job.. Not minimum wage work!
Your statement of being 'dumb' ... FYI- I wasn't looking for a job merely seeking friendships from my generation!

Old 02-25-2013, 04:35 AM

198 posts, read 464,499 times
I am sorry aquarius that someone jumped down your throat but that happens a lot on these boards. They obviously ASSUMED that you needed a job. My husband, myself and my Mom will be moving to Brevard county soon and our job will be to take care of my Mom who has alzheimer's. We will be closer to some relatives so that will help as we will know no one else. I am looking forward to getting out of VT with the harsh winters and grey skies.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:18 PM

555 posts, read 892,727 times
We got to visit relatives in Brevard over the holidays. vtallison, I hope you and your family get to enjoy those sunny skies and beautiful parks.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:42 AM

198 posts, read 464,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
We got to visit relatives in Brevard over the holidays. vtallison, I hope you and your family get to enjoy those sunny skies and beautiful parks.
Thank you! I know it will be quite an adjustment but we are up for the experience and I have always enjoyed the sunshine and heat whenever I have visited. I am hoping to find a great senior center so my Mom can have kindred souls to be with once in a while. She still plays golf and needs to be able to get out and do something everyday instead of being cooped up in assisted living in dreary CT. I will also enjoy not being indoors 24/7 in frigid VT. I hear the Brevard Zoo is a wonderful place! I will also be looking for a great bowling alley for my Mom as she bowls in a senior league.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County