Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2016, 09:27 AM

20 posts, read 35,495 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of relocating my family (me, wife, 4-year old boy and baby boy) to the area as I start a new job new Melbourne airport. We are interested in a new construction neighborhood that is on the south edge of Cocoa Beach. Based on the map, it is just south of the Cocoa Beach HS (and Roosevelt elementary). So it seems like it is a little outside of the heart of Cocoa (in other words, not in the touristy area). Just up the road from the new Squid Lips. I'm more familiar with Melbourne and have not spent that much time near Cocoa. Any information I could get about the area near the Cocoa schools would be very helpful. Here are some of the more specific questions I have about the area. (please remember this is the area on the south edge of Cocoa):
- How are the Roosevelt and Cocoa Beach public schools?
- Are there local issues with crime, drugs, gangs, etc.
- Are there many families with kids in this area?
- What is the beach like in this area? (depth, rocks, strong currents, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 02:09 PM

685 posts, read 720,327 times
You need to recheck your map. Cocoa Beach and Cocoa are NOT the same towns. Cocoa Beach is close to the ocean while Cocoa is more inland. Merritt Island and 2 rivers separate the towns. Cocoa is known for having a high crime rate while Cocoa Beach is not known for that.

If you're going to drive to work at the airport in Melbourne, then it will take you probably 45 minutes more or less on weekdays.

Here are a couple of links about the schools..

This shows Roosevelt as being a good school

Theodore Roosevelt Elementary School - Cocoa Beach, Florida - FL - School overview

If you click around on this site, then you'll be able to see all of Brevard's schools...

Browser Not Supported

The beaches are fine to swim in. They usually have a lot of folks from Orlando because its a straight shot down 520 or 528. The beaches get pretty maddening during the holidays.

There are a lot of families in the area as well as retirees and such.

One thing that I would consider if I was looking for a home close to the high school is the amount of noise pollution you may get from there. If they have a football game, you may have to contend with lights and all the cheering that goes on whenever a game goes on.
Also, high school kids like to go fast through the streets whenever they get out of school. They can't help it, its in their biological makeup...lol

Good luck with wherever you end up!

Old 02-07-2016, 06:08 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,224,257 times
  • No rocks on any Brevard beaches north of Patrick. Beaches south of Minutemen Cswy rarely get crowded even on holidays. The daytrippers and tourists tend to congregate north of downtown. The beach in Cocoa Beach is perfect for biking except at extreme high tides. You can ride your beach cruiser from Patrick all the way to Port Canaveral.
  • No gangs in Cocoa Beach but don't leave your bike unlocked outside any of the watering holes. It might get borrowed.
  • Many families with kids in Cocoa Beach. Cruise up Minutemen Cswy during the school going-to and getting-out times and see the kids walking, biking, skating to school on the wide sidewalk from the neighborhoods to the schools. Both schools are highly rated. Attendance suffers any day the waves are good which is often.
  • There are two Cocoa Beaches; the one most outsiders think of which is the tourist area around Ron Jons and the Pier and Coconuts on weekends and the one that I live in and love, the Cocoa Beach south of 4th ST. North. It's a friendly small town with no speed limit over 35 MPH and very little traffic or crime issues. I would recommend it to any family wanting a safe, friendly beach town with a slower pace of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County