Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 12:32 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,684,818 times

Advertisements

There is talk of 9 foot surges. It will be a mess and I do hope most have left by now. In NY, this storm is all over TV. We know what Sandy did to us and we hope and pray you guys get through this unharmed and with minimal damage. Power will be down, that will be for sure. Stay safe first, you can always rebuild later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 12:48 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,045,219 times
Hoping something happens and this storm misses the Coast. But unfortunately, not looking likely.

I do have a question though about evacuations. They are asking well over 1 million people to evacuate. Where the heck is everybody supposed to go? It's fine if you have friends or relatives within driving distance, like on the w coast or atlanta or someplace like that. But what if you don't? Certainly there are not enough shelters or hotel rooms. THat must be a huge concern for a great many people.

I wonder about this as I am on west coast, and we have no relatives or close friends on the east coast or even inland. Don't know where the heck we would go.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:27 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,226,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
Hoping something happens and this storm misses the Coast. But unfortunately, not looking likely.

I do have a question though about evacuations. They are asking well over 1 million people to evacuate. Where the heck is everybody supposed to go? It's fine if you have friends or relatives within driving distance, like on the w coast or atlanta or someplace like that. But what if you don't? Certainly there are not enough shelters or hotel rooms. THat must be a huge concern for a great many people.

I wonder about this as I am on west coast, and we have no relatives or close friends on the east coast or even inland. Don't know where the heck we would go.
You could go test drive a new camper for a week.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:35 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Forecast models currently put Florida’s Palm Beach County at the heaviest point of impact for the impending storm. If Matthew makes landfall, it will be the first hurricane to directly hit the state since Hurricane Wilma in October 2005.

https://weather.com/news/news/hurricane-matthew-florida

Old 10-06-2016, 02:46 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,421,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Forecast models currently put Florida’s Palm Beach County at the heaviest point of impact for the impending storm. If Matthew makes landfall, it will be the first hurricane to directly hit the state since Hurricane Wilma in October 2005.

https://weather.com/news/news/hurricane-matthew-florida
Wilma seemed to do more damage around 441 than she did on the east side where I am.

I actually moved into my house just after the storm and the main problem was power outages; not many restaurants were open. I didn't see much structural damage around here.

I keep telling myself that Palm Beach county covers a very large area; it's a long coast . Helps to keep me from freaking out too much.

I'm pretty sure this is the last time I'll ride a storm out at home (unless it's a 2 of less).

My concern for my house is surpassed by my concern for my car and my life. The concern for the car kinda says something about how I feel about LW. I know logically the house is more important lol.

Here comes a really big band! Perhaps I should cue relaxing music on the headphones!

Old 10-06-2016, 03:09 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,995,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post

I would spend the night in a Honda Civic in some WalMart parking lot in Tampa if I knew it would keep me from drowning due to not evacuating.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:26 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
There hasn't been a direct Cat 3/4 hit in Brevard County since 1979 when Hurricane David skipped over -- Prior to that, there wasn't one for about 50-years. However, that is not a reason to believe Matthew will not be "the one." One of the reasons people treat Florida hurricanes casually - is the media. They start panicking like their hair is on fire ... as soon as a named hurricane is spotted off the coast of Africa.

Since 2004/5, nothing more than a tropical storm has hit Florida. But, prior to then, the media had over-hyped 3-4 storms with talk of mass evacuations ...yet, they never even came close to the coastline. IMO, this is more than a "better safe than sorry." It is irresponsibly hyping an ongoing storm story with one-upsmanship reporting.

As soon as the wind starts-up, several reporters dash down to the Barefoot Bay mobile home community where they camp-out like vultures waiting in the wind with their blue blazers - for a piece of aluminum siding to get blown off. We used to speculate that they kept a damaged mobile home in a warehouse there and pulled it out whenever a storm approached.

It looks like Matthew could be serious and directly hit Florida with a Cat 3-4 storm. But, nobody knew that a week ago when the media started hyping a direct Florida hit from a storm still in the Atlantic. I'm not certain exactly what my point is, except we've been in Florida for over 40-years and every time the storm hype begins the question becomes, "Is this real or another media over-reaction?" ... unfortunately, this leaves many people in harms-way, with the media taking no responsibility.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:35 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,995,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
There hasn't been a direct Cat 3/4 hit in Brevard County since 1979 when Hurricane David skipped over -- Prior to that, there wasn't one for about 50-years. However, that is not a reason to believe Matthew will not be "the one." One of the reasons people treat Florida hurricanes casually - is the media. They start panicking like their hair is on fire ... as soon as a named hurricane is spotted off the coast of Africa.

Since 2004/5, nothing more than a tropical storm has hit Florida. But, prior to then, the media had over-hyped 3-4 storms with talk of mass evacuations ...yet, they never even came close to the coastline. IMO, this is more than a "better safe than sorry." It is irresponsibly hyping an ongoing storm story with one-upsmanship reporting.

As soon as the wind starts-up, several reporters dash down to the Barefoot Bay mobile home community where they camp-out like vultures waiting in the wind with their blue blazers - for a piece of aluminum siding to get blown off. We used to speculate that they kept a damaged mobile home in a warehouse there and pulled it out whenever a storm approached.

It looks like Matthew could be serious and directly hit Florida with a Cat 3-4 storm. But, nobody knew that a week ago when the media started hyping a direct Florida hit from a storm still in the Atlantic. I'm not certain exactly what my point is, except we've been in Florida for over 40-years and every time the storm hype begins the question becomes, "Is this real or another media over-reaction?" ... unfortunately, this leaves many people in harms-way, with the media taking no responsibility.
When I lived in Florida during the 04/05 storms, we saw a lot of televised reports similar to this one. This particular video is from Jersey, but it proves the point of the sensationalism that journalists will go through to make things seem so much worse than what they are.

reporter hurricane canoe - Bing video

Old 10-06-2016, 04:05 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,494,854 times
I lived on the barrier islands in Brevard during the 2004 storms, Frances, Jeanne and Ivan. They were not cat 3 when they reached us, but they did damage. Tropical Storm Fay in 2008 did almost as much damage, I was living in Viera then.

Emergency management has a "Damned if they do, Damned if they don't" job. These storms can change in an hours notice (look at Andrew) and it's probably best to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Currently I'm in Miami and we have dodged the brunt of Matthew. I'm happy to have prepared even thought we didn't need it.... this time.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:09 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,421,534 times
All of a sudden our area is out of the cone according to NBC6.

Their statement is a bit misleading and confusing, however. It says "South Florida spared direct hit" when it really means Miami-Dade and Monroe are out of it.

The way hurricanes move around who knows!

When it's completely past us I'll believe it.

I'm in PBC. All I can says is, after all the hoopla (yes I'm grateful for so much warning) that was fast!

So happy it it passed you guys by!

We're getting the heaviest bands yet now, but I'm a heckuva lot less nervous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County