Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 04:38 PM

28 posts, read 36,503 times

Advertisements

Hi. We moved from central Illinois to the north part of Melbourne back in September (I posted here last year when we were trying to decide where in Florida would be best for us, and everyone was so helpful!) Well, by a very slow process of elimination, we chose Brevard County. Great so far. And my husband's walking issues from his Parkinson's are lots better because we are out walking daily with all the good weather here! But, now we have another decision to make: one of my always-homeschooled boys would like to try public high school (9th grade.) He wants to be in the marching band and meet more kids. We are zoned for Viera actually but a couple women from my church group recommended Satellite Beach or Cocoa Beach instead, and our apartment manager chose not to send her kid to Viera which she is zoned for. The main reason my new friends recommended against Viera seems to be, according to them, an "uppity" attitude maybe because it's more upper class families there. They seemed to think Satellite Beach was more "down to earth," even though many there also have money. I am not judging and I DO NOT want to start a feud here; this is just what they told me. I think they were just trying to give me a general idea of the vibe at each school??

We visited Viera today to talk about registration and they were very nice overall. I did notice signs of overcrowding (several modular buildings on the grounds.) Beautiful newer school.

However, due to my severe asthma that gets better breathing the ocean air, our goal is to move beachside in the next year or two (However long it takes us to afford it Right now this dream is not very possible, but I just know that's where I want and need to be! Plus we love surf- fishing and the beach. So, I was thinking it might be a good idea to check out Satellite High also. Otherwise Viera said he may not be able to finish high school there if we moved out-of-area. And the drive from our apartment to either school is about equal distance, but Satellite seems closer for some reason and I like the more relaxing drive there. I do know the bus would not take him to Satellite, only Viera. No problem right now. I can drive him.

Can anyone share knowledge of these schools, including a comparison of the band departments? My son plays trumpet but is not a top-tier player. He just enjoys playing. We are very down-to-earth people who used to have more money but now don't due to my husband losing his IT job of 18 years and also health problems. Tomorrow we go to Satellite Beach to visit the school, and hopefully the band director. But I would really appreciate any experience or insight anyone may have. Please feel free to pm me if you'd rather do that than post. Thank you! - Kelly

Last edited by Mk_buster; 01-25-2017 at 04:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 06:02 PM

166 posts, read 352,735 times
If you are zoned for Viera how would you be able to go to Satellite Beach HS?

Old 01-25-2017, 07:12 PM

Florida has choice schools and as long as the school has room you can try to get in. Satellite told us that we could apply as long as my son would be in their Fine Arts Academy. Otherwise, I don't think they are taking out-of-area students at this time. They told me this last week when I called.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:52 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,681,636 times
I can't tell you which way to go based on a personal experience at either one of these schools. What I can say is that how you and more importantly your son, feels, is how he should decide. I say this as the "feel" is so important. Every school has its own. I visited several elentary schools in Merrit Island and Cape Canaveral. Regardless of ratings, each had a different feel that you got when touring them. I think you will understand this more after your next visit.
And don't be hesitant to go back to the first school after touring the the 2nd one. You will be amazed at what you notice (like kid behavior, teacher interaction, and administrative staff attitude (positive or negative). Go where you both feel more comfortable.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nypafl4u View Post
I can't tell you which way to go based on a personal experience at either one of these schools. What I can say is that how you and more importantly your son, feels, is how he should decide. I say this as the "feel" is so important. Every school has its own. I visited several elentary schools in Merrit Island and Cape Canaveral. Regardless of ratings, each had a different feel that you got when touring them. I think you will understand this more after your next visit.
And don't be hesitant to go back to the first school after touring the the 2nd one. You will be amazed at what you notice (like kid behavior, teacher interaction, and administrative staff attitude (positive or negative). Go where you both feel more comfortable.
Thanks! I agree each school has its own vibe.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:08 AM

4 posts, read 4,339 times
I have been reading about Brevard County school district growth and expansion in the newspaper. Check out Florida today to see how that impacts either of these schools too! We are south of you beachside, our son will go to Melbourne HS but with the option of Satellite Beach too. Since he is only in 1st grade, we have not toured either but spent months researching schools before buying. Good Luck!

Old 01-26-2017, 10:59 AM

593 posts, read 1,355,245 times
Agree with all of the above. Mk_buster, assuming you like the band setup and can get your son into the school, my suspicion is that you might prefer Satellite. Not that it's a better school by traditional measures, but it is smaller and it has more of a neighborhood-school feel than the typical high school in Brevard. On the surface, that would seem a better fit for someone transitioning from home-schooling.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExIslander View Post
Agree with all of the above. Mk_buster, assuming you like the band setup and can get your son into the school, my suspicion is that you might prefer Satellite. Not that it's a better school by traditional measures, but it is smaller and it has more of a neighborhood-school feel than the typical high school in Brevard. On the surface, that would seem a better fit for someone transitioning from home-schooling.
Thanks for your feedback. Attempting to visit Satellite today. I'll post an update if we're able to go.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asulpazo View Post
I have been reading about Brevard County school district growth and expansion in the newspaper. Check out Florida today to see how that impacts either of these schools too! We are south of you beachside, our son will go to Melbourne HS but with the option of Satellite Beach too. Since he is only in 1st grade, we have not toured either but spent months researching schools before buying. Good Luck!
Thanks! I will check out Florida Today. Satellite High is actually 4 minutes (1mile) closer to us than Viera HS is. We all like the more relaxed feel over there. You have to understand we lived literally surrounded by cornfields and open space in Illinois!

Old 01-26-2017, 02:45 PM

Well, we just returned from Satellite High and unfortunately, they do not accept out-of-area students mid-year. There is a window of opportunity to apply to attend the following year as an out-of-area student. I am disappointed, but their policy does make sense I guess, since there is only a limited amount of space in the school for new students. Just wish the person we previously spoke with on the phone would have known this policy!

So, we are back to Viera. I assume other choice schools in the area have the same policy regarding mid-year enrollment. If I had any other schools in mind, I might just call to double-check that. Melbourne High? Eau Gallie? Don't think we could afford Central Catholic High. So much to look into! By the time I'm done, it will be next year anyway! Ha Ha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County