Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2023, 02:21 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,002 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

We got great information from this site when we moved from PA to FL back in 2009. We live in Oviedo and have loved it!
But now, everyone has moved out and on with their lives and a 4 BR home with an HOA is no longer our desire. No Kids, just two folks working at Nasa and downtown Orlando wanting some hobby space into retirement.
We seek land and workshops...so, we are looking at Mims and Cocoa. I realize Mims is Volusia but there is not Volusia subset on this forum, so here I am.
We are seeking a 1-5 acre property with Agricultural zoning (it can be residential ag, I just want chickens and maybe a dairy cow or goat).
I have come across some listings in Cocoa that perfectly fit the bill, but the crime rates listed for Cocoa are truly mind boggling.
for those who live/work in and around Cocoa, how do you find it safety wise? What we like seems to be west of I-95, around the Canaveral Groves area.
Any thoughts on Mims? There is a lot there we like as well.

Thanks for any input you may have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2023, 03:19 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Cocoa gets a black eye for the crime rate which revolves around the town center corridors like US1 and Clearlake Rd, many miles from the area you mention. The comparison between areas comes down to the town name only and wouldn't hesitate if finding something in the area you describe. Mims of the two is my favorite however as it's closer to amenities like grocery stores and its larger neighboring city is Titusville which is pulling itself up by the bootstraps after the recession and NASA layoffs decimated the area back in the early 2000s. Space-X has revitalized the area and it's nice to see.

Old 08-09-2023, 02:16 PM

210 posts, read 276,840 times
You can search for crime statistics for a specific address on many sites. That will give you a true picture of crime near there. Mims is in Brevard, so you're in the right place for both
Both Mims and Cocoa have decent access to Nasa and Orlando so I would continue to look in both areas until I found the properties with the land and zoning you desire.
Best of luck!

Old 08-09-2023, 07:09 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,002 times
Thank you both. That makes me feel a bit better on my thoughts regarding Cocoa. Mims is my first choice but it is a little higher in price so I was looking around. My kids actually live in Titusville so that isn’t out either but AG zoning it a little harder and they have stupid chicken rules. Only 4 per household and no roosters

Old 08-12-2023, 06:21 PM

6 posts, read 5,970 times
Mims is very rural, but at least the crime is not high. I am not sure where you would shop though. We were looking in Satellite Beach, which is not too far from Cocoa/Cocoa Beach fun but without the crime.

Old 08-13-2023, 04:29 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrevardREALTOR View Post
You can search for crime statistics for a specific address on many sites. That will give you a true picture of crime near there. Mims is in Brevard, so you're in the right place for both
That's not exactly correct. Crime rates are usually measured as incidence per 100,000 residents (C-D does this) so cities with less than 100,000 residents see significant changes in their crime index with a single crime. Cocoa Beach, with 12,000 residents, vaulted to a murder rate far above Detroit one year with a single murder when a visitor killed his friend in their motel room. The resulting score made Cocoa Beach seem like a place you were more likely to be murdered in than Memphis or Cleveland when that wasn't the case. When looking at areas with less than 100,000 residents, especially those with far less than 100,000, take crime stats with a grain of salt.

Old 08-15-2023, 05:23 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
As a Brevard resident, I would not worry about crime in Mims or even in Cocoa. Like everywhere crime happens and you do need to lock doors, etc, but it is not horrible anywhere in Brevard. If you are not a criminal yourself, don't do or sell drugs on a corner, flash your money or possessions, act like a bully,argue about politics, have a mentally ill violent person in your own family, and treat everyone with respect either area will be good.

To get a 5 acre place will have to be at edge of a town so West of 95 in Cocoa is a good area. Check about previous flooding in the area around the St. Johns River, though. From 520 to 528 you are a short drive to Orlando area.

Mims, I like the old Florida flavor along 46. I hate driving on 46 though. It is a 2 lane with lots of no passing areas and if you get behind trucks or slow traffic it is hard to get around them. Then there are the people who drive too fast for the road that can make it scary when you turn into a driveway off the road. Have a friend that lives out that way. I think her whole family have had 1 or 2 incidents each just going home. I would check to see where the flooding was after the Hurricanes last year. My friend was out of their home for more than a month last year because the property was flooded. Her house was ok though.

Rural living in Florida in either area is different than living rural in most other states. You will see a lot of Florida critters like snakes, bobcats, bears, gators, etc. You will still have to check with the county to see what is allowed on your property.

Another rural area you might be able to buy acreage in close to Orlando is Christmas area on 50.

Old 08-16-2023, 06:04 PM

210 posts, read 276,840 times
That is a good point @1Insider. Thanks for clarifying
that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
That's not exactly correct. Crime rates are usually measured as incidence per 100,000 residents (C-D does this) so cities with less than 100,000 residents see significant changes in their crime index with a single crime. Cocoa Beach, with 12,000 residents, vaulted to a murder rate far above Detroit one year with a single murder when a visitor killed his friend in their motel room. The resulting score made Cocoa Beach seem like a place you were more likely to be murdered in than Memphis or Cleveland when that wasn't the case. When looking at areas with less than 100,000 residents, especially those with far less than 100,000, take crime stats with a grain of salt.

Old 08-16-2023, 06:27 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,744,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Additionally, in Florida all the tourists aren't included in the population count, so if tourists are crime victims the stats would indicate the crime occurred among the number of residents and would drive the crime percentage higher.

Old 08-21-2023, 05:22 PM

370 posts, read 902,852 times
I'm still happy with the move we made to Cocoa 7+ years ago but I often think Mims would have been just as good if I knew I'd be changing to full time telecommute. For what you're looking for, I think Mims is probably the better solution, though the prices sure have spiked (like everywhere else, I guess).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County