Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 04:52 PM

6 posts, read 122,313 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move from Orlando out to Cocoa Beach and am wondering how dog friendly it is in general?

Is there really no dogs allowed on the beach? The last beach town I lived in had a "no dog on the beach rule"....but as a residents it was widely known that this was a rule only enforced while the tourists were out. We could walk the dog on the beach in the mornings and evenings when the rule wasn't really enforced. Is this the case in Cocoa Beach or is it stricly enforced at all times?

Also-am looking to rent for a little while before actually buying but am having a hard time finding a place that will rent to me because of my dog who is around 70 pounds...he is friendly, well behaved and quiet but when i say he is a pitbull i am immediately denied . Anyone know of any local rentals in CB that won't discriminate against my dog...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 05:28 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood22 View Post
I am looking to move from Orlando out to Cocoa Beach and am wondering how dog friendly it is in general?

Is there really no dogs allowed on the beach? The last beach town I lived in had a "no dog on the beach rule"....but as a residents it was widely known that this was a rule only enforced while the tourists were out. We could walk the dog on the beach in the mornings and evenings when the rule wasn't really enforced. Is this the case in Cocoa Beach or is it stricly enforced at all times?

Also-am looking to rent for a little while before actually buying but am having a hard time finding a place that will rent to me because of my dog who is around 70 pounds...he is friendly, well behaved and quiet but when i say he is a pitbull i am immediately denied . Anyone know of any local rentals in CB that won't discriminate against my dog...?
That's some big pit bull LOL. Can you pass her off as a mix? Somebody here posted they would rent to pit bull owners but you'll have to search for it. She had a rental house....

My son had a Great Dane and in the rental search they always said, "ok as long as it's not a pit bull or Rot" ...

Here in my development in Vero there are single family home rentals for about 1000.00 though cuz they are big. There are two Rots here even though it's an HOA so maybe if you go through a realtor they can help you....

Old 08-16-2008, 05:46 PM

6 posts, read 122,313 times
thanks for the info!
yes... he's currently on a diet . I've tried saying he's a "terrier mix" but it's never gotten me past a breed restriction.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:57 PM

1 posts, read 52,493 times
Hi Lifeisgood22:I am also moving to Cocoa Beach in a few months and was told by the realtor that no dogs are allowed on the beach. I have 2 dogs and I am trying to find a pet friendly beach around there to take them to. Some beaches don't mind if you bring your dogs early morning or late night. If you find out anything, please let me know. Lots of luck with your move. I wish you the best. Nan

Old 03-09-2009, 07:19 PM

110 posts, read 550,067 times
Cool Dogs on Beaches are like the 55 mph speed limit...Nobody follows it but don't flaunt it.....

I just can't help you on the rental situation. In general having a pet always cuts down on the choice of rentals. There is a canine park in Cocoa Beach next to Lori Wilson park. It is in the busier northern end of Cocoa Beach. It is not a beach park however. By law dogs are not allowed on the beach in all of Brevard County. There was a recent move to allow it in a part of Melbourne Beach but it was tabled by the city council.

South Cocoa Beach is more laid back and tolerant when it comes to dogs on the beach. Just don't abuse it. I would not take the dog off leash if you can't have complete control of it. I was told by a local resident not to take the dog on the beach north of 19th street. This is the busier beach area. Now, this photo below was taken from my balcony in South Cocoa Beach this past Saturday March 7th, 2009. You can see the border collie frolicking happily in the water. He was there all afternoon and no one hassled them. Enjoy!

Old 06-08-2009, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 51,619 times
We will be coming down on vacation, Is there any place to bring dogs on the beach? I can drive to locations out of the city limits.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:29 PM

1 posts, read 47,940 times
We are trying to make the beach more dog-friendly...
Petition: Make Brevard County's Beaches Dog Friendly - The Petition Site
Facebook group: Make Brevard County's Beaches Dog Friendly | Facebook

Old 08-21-2010, 06:44 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood22 View Post

Certain breeds of dogs make insurance go up so high most places won't rent to them. Even though the homeowner does not own the dog they can be sued if the dog bites someone. I think there is a million dollar policy that is required now.
No dogs on the beach are allowed at any time in Brevard County. Every once in a while you might see dogs in remote areas but people on the beach do sometimes call and report dogs on the beach so you are always taking a chance. A woman I know from work who lives and runs on the beach for exercise everyday calls every time she sees one on her area of the beach. The whole beach is a protected area so if your dog will bother the wildlife like birds, turtles etc. it is not a good idea for off the leash, which defeats the purpose of bringing the dog to play in the water. Which leads to a second fine if on the beach letting the dog play in the water. You could be fined for having the dog off the leash as well as on the beach.

Once a dog goes to bathroom on the sand the sand is contaminated even if you bag it immediately; so it becomes a problem when people/kids dig and make sand castles in the sand and end up getting the contamination from their hands to their mouths . Not all dog owners are responsible so it makes it tough on the ones who are. Just covering it with sand like some do is not good enough. Eventually it is probably cleaned up by the waves filtering it but if a child gets that sand prior to its filtering out they can get sick. Even the birds can make the beach unsafe for swimmers sometimes. I think CB or was it Daytona even had a beach that was closed to swimmers just before July 4th because of this so as far as dogs go it is a catch 22....at your own risk. Not sure how much the fines are.
http://www.cityofcocoabeach.com/resi...l_services.htm

Last edited by Rabflmom; 08-21-2010 at 06:57 AM..

Old 04-05-2012, 03:50 PM

1 posts, read 39,528 times
I am staying in Melbourne, but husand working in Cocoa Beach . We will be there for 6 weeks, I am taking my 8 year old female pekingese. I need to find a beach that will except her. She is so well trained and socialized. We just want to lay out on a towel or awhile and getsome sun and appreciate the area. First time to Florida, First vacation, and I am 46 years old. Please help me find a place for Willow and I to go!! THank YOU

Old 04-06-2012, 07:26 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annamariew1965 View Post
I am staying in Melbourne, but husand working in Cocoa Beach . We will be there for 6 weeks, I am taking my 8 year old female pekingese. I need to find a beach that will except her. She is so well trained and socialized. We just want to lay out on a towel or awhile and getsome sun and appreciate the area. First time to Florida, First vacation, and I am 46 years old. Please help me find a place for Willow and I to go!! THank YOU
The only dog beach in Brevard County is Canova Park at the end of Eau Gallie. Blvd The dog beach is via the South access and between the signs. Dogs need to be on a leash at all times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County