Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 07:16 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,778,812 times

Advertisements

It seems the difference between the two ideas is the extinction of conciousness in Buddhism because wherever there is consciousness (it teaches) there is suffering. Tagore, and the Hindus appear to teach that "Nirvana", if they use the term at all, is a continued consciousness, without any suffering. It's not ubnlike the way the Christian heaven is gradually morphing from a place where true believers can praise God at the tops of their voices to drown out the sounds of the atheists roasting in hell, into a place where the true believer's incorporeal mind can bob about in a state of perpetual bliss.

I'll opt for oblivion, myself. At least you know what you're getting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 05:39 PM

15,895 posts, read 6,357,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
What you are describing is called flow or zone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

The closest concept to this is wu wei or mindfulness, which rather than a permanent state of liberation from reincarnation, is usually a temporary state unless we learn to cultivate it.

Personally, I find this state preferable to trying to end one's immortal existence. Probably why I never became Buddhist, even though I liked many of the concepts.
I can't speak for Geofra but that not what I meant by flow. The kind of flow you linked is where you are so focused on a creative project that you become immersed in it. The kind of flow I was talking about is a complete lack of focus where things come at you with great intensity. It's probably some mild dissociative state.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:37 PM

50,935 posts, read 24,441,927 times
Maybe we need a little perspective here. I have a pretty good relationship with 3 Theravadan Buddhist monks, and one day I asked them to talk with me about nibbana and enlightenment. They laughed and said that enlightenment was several lives down the road…and that was for the monks.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Maybe we need a little perspective here. I have a pretty good relationship with 3 Theravadan Buddhist monks, and one day I asked them to talk with me about nibbana and enlightenment. They laughed and said that enlightenment was several lives down the road…and that was for the monks.
And you believed them?

Old 12-09-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
And you believed them?
Well, while I have my own opinion, I would think monks might have spent far more time involved in "the process" than I.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:52 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,778,812 times
Quote:
And you believed them?
That's the concensus doctrine today. In Buddha's time people became enlightened if Buddha farted. These days it is several rebirths of progress away.

Not unlike (it has to be noted) the Scientology "Clear". Originally guaranteed after a course of treatment, it became more and more a remote attainment as it increasingly failed to deliver. One is reminded of "The amazing disappearing God".

Old 12-14-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That's the concensus doctrine today. In Buddha's time people became enlightened if Buddha farted. These days it is several rebirths of progress away.

Not unlike (it has to be noted) the Scientology "Clear". Originally guaranteed after a course of treatment, it became more and more a remote attainment as it increasingly failed to deliver. One is reminded of "The amazing disappearing God".
I thought the one of the big things about Buddhism was that you shouldn't take anyone else's word/path/logic for things but figure it out on your own. How would you even know how many lifetimes you are on anyway? This could be the last. Although if your seeking to become enlightened it's doubtful you are close.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I thought the one of the big things about Buddhism was that you shouldn't take anyone else's word/path/logic for things but figure it out on your own. How would you even know how many lifetimes you are on anyway? This could be the last. Although if your seeking to become enlightened it's doubtful you are close.
Well, I would restate it. The point is to be aware of Buddha's "advice", then test it out, and if it is valid make it a part of your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism