Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 01:51 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/14/asia/...hnk/index.html

Interesting article about what will happen when the 85 year old (and seemingly healthy) Dalai Lama passes.

And just to remind non-Buddhists...he is not the "head" of all Buddhists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 04:41 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
what is the topic for discussion? what is it about the article that you would like to have as discussion topic for this thread? other than "interesting article" "here's the link"

Old 02-15-2021, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
what is the topic for discussion? what is it about the article that you would like to have as discussion topic for this thread? other than "interesting article" "here's the link"
What does the title of the thread say?: "When the Dalai Lama dies, what will happen?" First off, is he the last in line based on his choice on whether or not to reincarnate, or will another take his place. Will the Chinese government appoint someone, or will a traditional succession take place?

Old 02-15-2021, 06:47 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What does the title of the thread say?: "When the Dalai Lama dies, what will happen?" First off, is he the last in line based on his choice on whether or not to reincarnate, or will another take his place. Will the Chinese government appoint someone, or will a traditional succession take place?
well, since you self-identify as a Buddhist, and started this thread topic, what are your views and thoughts on the article? and what would you like to see happen? my first thought is to ask what Buddhist teachings apply and are pertinent in dealing with this circumstance.

also so it is relevant to discussing Buddhism, and not just a discussion of politics, news stories, and current events .

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 02-15-2021 at 06:55 PM..

Old 02-15-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
well, since you self-identify as a Buddhist, and started this thread topic, what are your views and thoughts on the article? and what would you like to see happen? my first thought is to ask what Buddhist teachings apply and are pertinent in dealing with this circumstance.

also so it is relevant to discussing Buddhism, and not just a discussion of politics, news stories, and current events .
On the Buddhist side of things, it won't matter much at all to Theravada Buddhism, Zen Buddhism, and several other sects of Buddhism, because the Dalai Lama is not directly connected to those forms of Buddhism. Those who follow the Dalai Lama will probably find a replacement for him -- sooner or later -- regardless of what he does. And many independent Buddhists will get all upset over something in a far away land that they have no direct connection to -- and that leads us to the political side of things, but that's not something we're supposed to discuss...I guess.

By the way, I know the real reason you're posting here, and it's not an interest in the topic at hand.

Old 02-15-2021, 07:40 PM

1,799 posts, read 562,429 times
To actually discuss the topic instead of kvetching about the thread, I think for sure the Chinese will "find" a fake Chinese puppet DL. It is hilarious though that they think they Tibetan people will follow their chosen puppet .

As to the real version DL, I think it's 50/50 on whether he claims to be the last or says he will reincarnate. He has expressed the idea that the role is now passe , and his people no longer live under a feudal system dependent upon the religious hierarchy. If he claims he will reincarnate I expect there will be very specific instructions on time, place, sex, and so on of the new supposedly reincarnated DL , and it won't be anywhere China has control.

Old 02-15-2021, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post

As to the real version DL, I think it's 50/50 on whether he claims to be the last or says he will reincarnate. He has expressed the idea that the role is now passe , and his people no longer live under a feudal system dependent upon the religious hierarchy. If he claims he will reincarnate I expect there will be very specific instructions on time, place, sex, and so on of the new supposedly reincarnated DL , and it won't be anywhere China has control.
I think you're probably right here.

I have to admit that while I have a decent understanding of Theravada Buddhism in Thailand, I don't know a lot about the Tibetan version. I was having a long discussion about Tibetan Buddhism with a Theravada monk I know quite well (actually an abbot), and I asked him if he had ever been to Tibet, and he had spent several months there as a guest at one of the important temples, and I asked him what he thought about it. He admitted that he often couldn't figure out what they were doing. My impression -- and it's not based on personal experience or study -- is that there's too much "magic" involved in it.

Old 02-15-2021, 08:35 PM

Quote:
I think you're probably right here.

I have to admit that while I have a decent understanding of Theravada Buddhism in Thailand, I don't know a lot about the Tibetan version. I was having a long discussion about Tibetan Buddhism with a Theravada monk I know quite well (actually an abbot), and I asked him if he had ever been to Tibet, and he had spent several months there as a guest at one of the important temples, and I asked him what he thought about it. He admitted that he often couldn't figure out what they were doing. My impression -- and it's not based on personal experience or study -- is that there's too much "magic" involved in it.

I suspect you are correct. Very probably the Bon religion that predated Buddhism in Tibet influenced Tibetan Buddhism as it replaced Bon, and as I recall the Bon religion is magic oriented, as many shamanistic religions are.

Tibet, Bhutan, Nepal, The Kingdom of Mustang, Hunza, etc have long fascinated me. Seven Years in Tibet is one of my favorite books, and Harrers partner wrote a good book, if unoriginally titled "8 Years in Tibet" ( he stayed a year longer wandering around trying to avoid the authorities and deportation).

Old 02-15-2021, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
I suspect you are correct. Very probably the Bon religion that predated Buddhism in Tibet influenced Tibetan Buddhism as it replaced Bon, and as I recall the Bon religion is magic oriented, as many shamanistic religions are.

Tibet, Bhutan, Nepal, The Kingdom of Mustang, Hunza, etc have long fascinated me. Seven Years in Tibet is one of my favorite books, and Harrers partner wrote a good book, if unoriginally titled "8 Years in Tibet" ( he stayed a year longer wandering around trying to avoid the authorities and deportation).
I'm glad you mentioned that book...which I haven't read. But I love the movie. What did you think about the film? Reasonably faithful to the book?

Old 02-15-2021, 09:55 PM

Quote:
I'm glad you mentioned that book...which I haven't read. But I love the movie. What did you think about the film? Reasonably faithful to the book?

Film was enjoyable, but embellished some, as all film versions will. The book is better. Aufschnaiter's book is a good read also, though more matter of fact journal like and not quite as well written from a storytelling POV. Another good read on the area is Michel Peissel's Mustang, the Forbidden Kingdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism