Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 07:35 PM

16 posts, read 48,201 times

Advertisements

I know Buddhists try not to lie by "speaking right." However, sometimes (well more like a lot) the truth hurts peoples feelings. How should a newly conscious person go about doing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 07:49 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,031,298 times
Keep your mouth shut.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:50 PM

16 posts, read 48,201 times
I guess I shouldve mentioned the scenario is when someone asks you something.

Good advice nevertheless Charles. :-)

Old 09-14-2009, 08:16 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,164,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdviceIsGreat View Post
I know Buddhists try not to lie by "speaking right." However, sometimes (well more like a lot) the truth hurts peoples feelings. How should a newly conscious person go about doing this?
Tell the truth, or don't say anything at all, that's all I do.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:38 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
It's an interesting point as it's one of the many one of those in the theist Box of Tricks 'Haven't you ever told a lie?'

I don't know exactly how it goes after that but I suspect it is intended to show that every one of us needs to be forgiven and the only way to get that forgiveness is sign up to their special offer for life.

In fact they don't get there because of the OP above. Lies are sometimes neccessary because the plain truth won't do. And again, as with most of the deceits of Theist apologetics, it isn't a lie or not lie choice (1). It is a question of softening the blow or just not saying anything. We use our judgement as to what's the best way to handle a situation.

What would Jesus do when little children came unto him with an execrable drawing? "That's very good" (lie) or "Verily, I say unto you, that is worthless, an abomination. Take it from before me!"

Nope. The lie is neccessary, and that's the lie of the apologetics. They lie and lie all the time and it's no less a lie when they don't know they lie because they say they don't lie when you show them that they do. Someone tell me who has 'The devil for a father' when they are ones who insist on lying, dissimulating, deceiving and ignoring the truth?

So let's ask Buddha.

"Lying adds to you bad Karma. You don't want that. so don't do it."

"Why does it do that? add to the bad Karma, I mean."

"Because it is a Bad Deed."

"Is it?" Is it a Bad Deed to say to my kid 'That's lovely honey' when it isn't? Is it wrong to say "Yes, I really do think you lost weight?"

"Well, no. Clearly if the intention is bad then the deed is bad. If the intention is good then the deed is good."

"And karma knows this...?"

"Let's assume it just logs into the brain and knows whether you think it a good or bad deed."

"So If I think that it is a good deed to kill someone because I believe he deserves it that's a good deed?"

"No because killing is always wrong."

"I see. So Karma has a set of overriding instructions that say that some deeds are good or bad no matter what we think about them?"

"No we know that some deeds are good or bad, even though we try to tell ourselves that they are not, or are."

"So even if we think some act is good, like robbing the rich to feed the starving poor, it doesn't fool Karma because we really know it isn't good?"

"Ah...yes."

"So if we rob someone who robbed the poor so as to give it back, that's a good deed but if we rob someone who earned the money by sweating the poor, that's not, because we know it isn't?"

"You're very good at thinking up far fetched exceptions to test the theory, aren't you?"

"Believe me, Gotama, mate, those far - fetched eventualities crop up all the time. Now answer the question, please."

"We just have to trust that karma knows best."

"That's bit faith -based for you old son. Wasn't your dictum don't believe what anyone tells you, even what you tell them? test and see whether it makes sense?"

"I did say that, didn't I?"

(1) puts on logic hat - False dilemma fallacy

Old 09-14-2009, 09:42 PM

259 posts, read 732,162 times
i don't lie. period.

i'm also very good at answering questions not asked or complimenting something else or just plain changing the subject.

if that doesn't work, be honest in the most loving way. explain what your point of view is in a short sentence and if you have to, say you're sorry.

but don't ever lie. there is never a "good reason to lie".

Old 09-14-2009, 10:03 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iriekate View Post
i don't lie. period.

i'm also very good at answering questions not asked or complimenting something else or just plain changing the subject.

if that doesn't work, be honest in the most loving way. explain what your point of view is in a short sentence and if you have to, say you're sorry.

but don't ever lie. there is never a "good reason to lie".
That's a pretty good answer. It does require, however, a bit of tinkering abut with the semantics. For example.

"Did you see John?"

"Er, no, I don't think so" (Lie) You did see him knocking it back, but judged that it was really better to not answer.

"Well, I really think that I have to be honest. He's probably had a hard day..."

"What?" He's in that boozer again?"

"You must understand.."

"I'll kill him, he promised..."

"Just try to..

"Just wait till he gets home...and what's your agenda telling me like that?"

"I just thought the truth..."

"Don't give me that!"

"I'm sorry. I know that what I did was good and honest. I cannot tell a lie."

"Thanks a lot. Go polish your cherry tree."

Sorry. There are grey areas and labelling a lie as the ones I don't tell and as something else the ones I do tell doesn't really work for me.

That doesn't even address Lincoln's definition. Saying something is so when you don't know it's so is a lie.

P.s Not that you do this one, I just give it as another example of the grey areas of 'lie'.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-14-2009 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: P.s

Old 09-14-2009, 10:07 PM

259 posts, read 732,162 times
if someone asked me if I saw John and i wasn't supposed to say anything, i'd say something like "when? today? why are you asking? what did he do? ha ha " My response turns the conversation on to the questioner and they now are very involved in telling me about their drama.

your imaginary scenario's are a trip! i've never been involved in drama like that! LOL

Old 09-14-2009, 10:58 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,723,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdviceIsGreat View Post

honesty with compassion.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:34 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,109,845 times
Ahem.

Wife/Girlfriend/whatever: "Do you think I need to lose weight? Does this dress make me look fat? Do you like my new haircut? What are you thinking?"

Sometimes lying can be a good thing. We'll call it stretching the truth if the word lie bothers you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism