Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 07:17 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
Asian, at least the definition per the US Government, is anyone from or descending from North or East Asia ie China, Korea, Vietnam, Cambodia, etc. Someone of Malaysian Indian heritage likely has a closer resemblance to & likely more traditions/heritage in common with the people of India & even Pakistan than those from China & Korea.
Exactly....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 04:50 PM

71 posts, read 212,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
I don't think it would be much of an issue at all. Even people that are bigots don't seem to have a problem with White/Asian marriage (unless they are hard core Stormfront members or something). It's mostly Black/White pairings that get people's feathers ruffled.

Technically my children are bi-racial, I'm white and my wife is 1/8 American Indian. Not that you can really tell. They look like white kids with high ckeekbones. Oh I also found out recently that I'm a small part Jewish too. Who knew?

So I guess I won't be joining any hate groups anytime soon! LOL
Yeah I found out I'm mixed White and American Indian, who knew too.

Anywho, I visited hambrug twice staying the McKinley hotel, I saw McKinley Parkway of course, McKinley mall and that strip, I saw Blasdell, Village of Hamburg, and a couple other places around the town. I feel in love with Hamburg and want to go to Buffalo for college and consider moving there .

Hamburg's certainly not really diverse. Just 5-7 percent non-white, give or take a couple percent. Doesn't mean anything to me. I'm not a really liberal hoping for diversity, and I'm not a racist conservative hoping for segregation.

The people do seem down to earth. They seem to either be kept to themselves, or friendly. They're much more respectful and patient then where I'm from and I'm from the Hudson Valley .

From my two visits to Hamburg, I miss it more each time I leave , it's like my second home because I can't stand this dump I live in . I don't want to consider Buffalo, I'd rather stop there occasionally for my chicken wings. I wouldn't mind going to college there or working there or eating or doing something there, I already have done stuff there, but there's no way I'd prefer to live in Buffalo, sorry Buffalonians .

I think you'd like Hamburg. I hate Florida, sorry, but it certainly may be cultural shock to you, snow and people and prices and all.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:14 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,718,347 times
Quote:
Hamburg's certainly not really diverse. Just 5-7 percent non-white, give or take a couple percent. Doesn't mean anything to me. I'm not a really liberal hoping for diversity, and I'm not a racist conservative hoping for segregation.
Wow, way to live in 1800s, I don't know any single Conservative who wants segregation. By the way, the most racist parts in the 60s were somewhat Liberal and voted for Liberals like Lyndon Johnson and Jimmy Carter.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:14 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,544,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
Wow, way to live in 1800s, I don't know any single Conservative who wants segregation. By the way, the most racist parts in the 60s were somewhat Liberal and voted for Liberals like Lyndon Johnson and Jimmy Carter.

You do realize that LBJ was the president that pushed the Senate to pass the Civil Rights Act of 1964 which infuriated Southern Democrats so badly that they switched to the Republican Party (which they continue to support today).

Old 07-16-2010, 06:17 PM

3 posts, read 7,957 times
Hello!
wow! thanks guys! I did not expect such a quick turn around on information! you have all been very helpful. I love that the thread opened up a conversation about race as well. People are entitled their own opinions - its how one acts upon that opinions that matter Re. the question about the word Orientals - i think one has to look at the context in which it is being said. I often get people asking me what could be construed as "racial " questions, but my rule of thumb is, if you do not know, have not been exposed and are curious, I'll never be offended. It is when people do understand, have been exposed and educated and "choose" to be offensive that I find it frustrating. And yes, Malaysia is in Southeast Asia and a Malaysian Indian is of Indian (India) descent.

I do have another question if you all do not mind . . . found out today after the 2nd round of interviews that I am not limited to Hamburg, but will be working the Olean, cuba, Belmont area. Any opinions on that? And btw, to the one who stated he/she hated Florida - You're not alone. I'm getting there! Florida is not as liberal. broad minded as one would imagine . . .

Thanks!
L

Old 07-16-2010, 06:32 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,718,347 times
Quote:
You do realize that LBJ was the president that pushed the Senate to pass the Civil Rights Act of 1964 which infuriated Southern Democrats so badly that they switched to the Republican Party (which they continue to support today).
I thought we were talking about Liberals/Conservatives, not Democrats/Republicans. They are very different.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:38 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaCoffee View Post
. I'm not a really liberal hoping for diversity, and I'm not a racist conservative hoping for segregation.
I like that the area doesn't have a strong political bent one way or another. I don't want to live in a place that's ultra- left wing but I don't want to live in an ultra-conservative place either. I'm an independent and have friends on both sides of the political aisle. I have my opinions on important issues but they don't always all fit neatly into one side or another.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:42 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laviniab6 View Post
I do have another question if you all do not mind . . . found out today after the 2nd round of interviews that I am not limited to Hamburg, but will be working the Olean, cuba, Belmont area. Any opinions on that? L
Olean, Belmont and Cuba are in what they call the Southern Tier of Western New York. Lots of pretty scenery but pretty remote. Olean is the biggest of the three with a population of around 20,000. I wouldn't recommend living in one of those places unless you really want to live away from it all. Those areas are about 60 miles south of Buffalo.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:09 AM

71 posts, read 212,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
I like that the area doesn't have a strong political bent one way or another. I don't want to live in a place that's ultra- left wing but I don't want to live in an ultra-conservative place either. I'm an independent and have friends on both sides of the political aisle. I have my opinions on important issues but they don't always all fit neatly into one side or another.
Yes definitely. That attitude seems to generally cary out to the southtowns too. It seems a bit more variable in the northtowns, like some northtowns are fine, and like Amherst I think I was told is a lot more right wing than usual, etc. and I think Lancaster is fine, right? That's one of my favorite Northtowns, I'm not into the Northtowns, but, yet Village of Lancaster seems not very lively. Sorry, don't want to go off topic, was just saying.

Hamburg really seems to be a great place for people of all different views though. Well I love it, hope I can move to that area some day.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:36 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
That's correct and that's why the term "Dixiecrat" was used. They were more Southern than Democrats.

Anyway, if you like the community, go for it. I believe that quite a few Bills players live there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area