Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 07:39 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,872,632 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Long Island but grew up in Western New York. I was wondering what parents do with their children over the summer nowadays in WNY? Where I live in Long Island absolutely everyone sends their kids to summer camp, something that seems very foriegn to me (growing up in Western New York during the 1980's).

What do parents generally do in WNY today? Do they send their kids to summer camp? Do the kids just play in their neighborhood? Are they in day care because both parents are working during the day?

Is it different in different parts of Western New York? What's the norm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 10:53 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,826,743 times
Suburban districts have tons of sports through schools. Towns have pools. Libraries have programs. Kids play. It hasn't changed here. [It isn't much different than LI was when I grew up in the 50s/60s.]

Old 06-04-2012, 12:06 PM

252 posts, read 650,652 times
But I'm sure there are far more families where both parents have to or choose to work nowadays than there were in the '50s or '60s. You kind of need to have someone at home to make lunch and keep an eye out for the kids if you're going to have your kids just hanging out all day playing in the neighborhood, or at municipal pools, etc.

I have a suspicion (perhaps unfounded) that many families who can afford to have one parent stay at home are by and large the same families who highly schedule their children with lots of organized activities like day camp and would never dream of just letting their kids play unsupervised all summer.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:08 PM

19,277 posts, read 17,147,017 times
Sending a child to summer camp is very ingrained in the culture of NYC and the metro area.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:20 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,548,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmith11 View Post
But I'm sure there are far more families where both parents have to or choose to work nowadays than there were in the '50s or '60s. You kind of need to have someone at home to make lunch and keep an eye out for the kids if you're going to have your kids just hanging out all day playing in the neighborhood, or at municipal pools, etc.

I have a suspicion (perhaps unfounded) that many families who can afford to have one parent stay at home are by and large the same families who highly schedule their children with lots of organized activities like day camp and would never dream of just letting their kids play unsupervised all summer.
My wife works 8-4:30 m-f, I work 2nd shift. This cuts down on daycare/babysitter costs & also gives me the time to put the kids into daytime activities, groups, etc.

My daughter's play in a "spring" hockey league that runs from mid April until the beginning of August, they also play lacrosse from May until July & this year the older one will be attending an all girls hockey camp the last week of July - 1st week of August. They'll also both go visit their grandmother in Maryland for a few weeks in mid August.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the input.

I'm glad to see that it is a lot more varied in WNY compared to down here. It seems more of a choice based on your situation and your child's interests. The attitude in Long Island is that you HAVE to enroll them in a summer camp or you are neglecting them or being a bad parent. I'm doing it because basically I have no choice, because there won't be any kids around for him to play with if I didn't.

I really hate the conformist culture down here. You can't even choose how you raise your kids for God's sakes!

Old 06-04-2012, 07:35 PM

811 posts, read 1,741,875 times
Maybe move to Westchester, Jersey, or Connecticut? It's definitely not like that on the mainland. You can do what you want with them and no one really judges.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:57 AM

19,277 posts, read 17,147,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
Thanks for the input.

I'm glad to see that it is a lot more varied in WNY compared to down here. It seems more of a choice based on your situation and your child's interests. The attitude in Long Island is that you HAVE to enroll them in a summer camp or you are neglecting them or being a bad parent. I'm doing it because basically I have no choice, because there won't be any kids around for him to play with if I didn't.

I really hate the conformist culture down here. You can't even choose how you raise your kids for God's sakes!
No but you have the choice whether or not to live there, after all "it's for the children"...

Old 06-05-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
No but you have the choice whether or not to live there, after all "it's for the children"...
Very true, hope to get out of here next year. Way too expensive and cliquey for my tastes.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:29 PM

37 posts, read 73,337 times
I grew up in WNY and attended day camp on Chautauqua Lake. Most kids growing up just stayed at home with babysitters, and played outside a lot. Nowadays a lot of kids probably stay in on their computers. But summer programs are available. My high school had dance and theater programs during the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area