|Median resident age:||46.8 years|
|New York median age:||40.7 years|
Hope town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $112,739 (it was $63,200 in 2000)
- White alone - 392 (97.3%)
- Two or more races - 5 (1.2%)
- Hispanic - 4 (1.0%)
- Black alone - 1 (0.2%)
- American Indian alone - 1 (0.2%)
|50 inches of snow!! Hope you all stay safe! (34 replies)|
|Photo Taken Of Boy On Subway Sparks Hope About Missing Avonte Oquendo (25 replies)|
|Operation Hope California (1 reply)|
|6 dead in Metro-North accident (234 replies)|
|Harlem River Point South (apartment lottery) (822 replies)|
|Grand Concourse by 174-175 streets (118 replies)|
Latest news from Hope, NY collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: Irish (30.9%), German (25.0%), Dutch (17.1%), English (15.1%), Italian (7.9%), French (6.6%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Land area: 40.7 square miles.
Population density: 9.9 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Hope:
- High school or higher: 75.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 6.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.3%
- Unemployed: 13.9%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 29.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hope town:
- Never married: 21.8%
- Now married: 55.4%
- Separated: 3.0%
- Widowed: 6.9%
- Divorced: 12.9%
5 residents are foreign born
According to our research of New York and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Hope, New York as of May 29, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Hope to the number of sex offenders is 343 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Hope town:||1.4% ($881)|
|New York:||1.9% ($2,847)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Schenectady, NY (37.4 miles , pop. 61,821).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Bronx, NY (170.9 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Benson, NY (2.3 miles ), Northville, NY (2.4 miles ), Edinburg, NY (2.9 miles ), Wells, NY (3.1 miles ), Day, NY (3.2 miles ), Bleecker, NY (3.7 miles ), Mayfield, NY (3.8 miles ), Stony Creek, NY (3.9 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1999: 2 buildings, average cost: $125,000
- 2005: 2 buildings, average cost: $107,500
- 2006: 2 buildings, average cost: $107,500
- 2007: 1 building, cost: $222,500
- 2008: 1 building, cost: $222,500
- 2009: 3 buildings, average cost: $81,700
- 2010: 1 building, cost: $250,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 43.31 N, Longitude: 74.21 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 518
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (18%)
- Public administration (9%)
- Sporting goods, camera, and hobby and toy stores (6%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (6%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (6%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (5%)
- Drugs, sundries, and chemical and allied products merchant wholesalers (5%)
- Health care (23%)
- Educational services (10%)
- Social assistance (8%)
- Printing and related support activities (7%)
- Food and beverage stores (6%)
- Finance and insurance (6%)
- Textile mills and textile products (5%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (14%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (8%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (8%)
- Carpenters (8%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (15%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (8%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (7%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (7%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (5%)
- Registered nurses (5%)
Average climate in Hope, New York
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Hope-area historical tornado activity is slightly below New York state average. It is 73% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/10/1989, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 36.7 miles away from the Hope town center injured 20 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 6/16/1974, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 31.4 miles away from the town center caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Hope-area historical earthquake activity is near New York state average. It is 88% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 45.3 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 85.3 miles away from Hope center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 131.8 miles away from the city center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 52.4 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2000 at 08:46:55, a magnitude 4.0 (4.0 LG, 3.8 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 44.6 miles away from Hope center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 85.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Hamilton County (8) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 4
Emergencies Declared: 4
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 3, Storms: 3, Blizzard: 1, Earthquake: 1, Hurricane: 1, Power Outage: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Charles St. John - Politician, George Woodward Greene - Politician.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Hope:
- Fulton-Montgomery Community College (about 23 miles; Johnstown, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,043)
- Skidmore College (about 26 miles; Saratoga Springs, NY; FT enrollment: 2,753)
- SUNY Empire State College (about 27 miles; Saratoga Springs, NY; FT enrollment: 9,473)
- Adirondack Community College (about 29 miles; Queensbury, NY; FT enrollment: 2,826)
- Schenectady County Community College (about 37 miles; Schenectady, NY; FT enrollment: 3,676)
- Union College (about 37 miles; Schenectady, NY; FT enrollment: 2,075)
- Herkimer County Community College (about 45 miles; Herkimer, NY; FT enrollment: 2,774)
Notable locations in Hope: Hope Falls (A), Brownell Camp (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Willard Cemetery (1), Wadswarth Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes: Middle Lake (A), Murphy Lake (B), Jerry Vly (C), Bennett Lake (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Creeks: Groff Creek (A), Petes Creek (B), Bear Creek (C), Tenant Creek (D), East Stony Creek (E), Doig Creek (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 67.0. This is about average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 0.150. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 18.4 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 29.2. This is about average. Closest monitor was 18.4 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.4 people|
|New York:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Hope compared to New York state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (74%)
- Wood (16%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (10%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Hope town (based on Hamilton County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 72.82%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||United Methodist Church||The Wesleyan Church||Evangelical Free Church of America||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Hamilton County:||5.94 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||4.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Hamilton County:||15.83 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.68 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||39.57 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.82 / 10,000 pop.|
5.25% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($52,189 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.06%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Saratoga County, NY||0.47% ($39,300 average AGI)|
6.18% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($33,023 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.46%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Hope:
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPTR (1540 AM; 50 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WABY (1160 AM; 5 kW; MECHANICVILLE, NY; Owner: ANASTOS MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WOFX (980 AM; 5 kW; TROY, NY)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WICY (1490 AM; 50 kW; MALONE, NY; Owner: CARTIER COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WROW (590 AM; 5 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WMCA (570 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF NEW YORK, LLC)
- WFAN (660 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Hope:
- WXLG (89.9 FM; NORTH CREEK, NY; Owner: THE ST. LAWRENCE UNIVERSITY)
- WKBE (100.3 FM; WARRENSBURG, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WCKM-FM (99.1 FM; LAKE GEORGE, NY; Owner: ENTERTRONICS, INC.)
- WNYQ (105.7 FM; QUEENSBURY, NY; Owner: VOX NEW YORK, L.L.C.)
- WBAR-FM (94.7 FM; LAKE LUZERNE, NY; Owner: CAPITAL MEDIA CORPORATION)
- WFFG-FM (107.1 FM; CORINTH, NY; Owner: VOX NEW YORK, L.L.C.)
- WCQL (95.9 FM; GLENS FALLS, NY; Owner: ENTERTRONICS, INC.)
- WXLH (91.3 FM; BLUE MOUNTAIN LAKE, NY; Owner: THE ST. LAWRENCE UNIVERSITY)
- WEQX (102.7 FM; MANCHESTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSHIRE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WKRD (93.7 FM; SCOTIA, NY; Owner: DOT COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WJAN (95.1 FM; SUNDERLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WBKK (97.7 FM; AMSTERDAM, NY; Owner: GEM ASSOCIATES, L. P.)
- WNGN (91.9 FM; ARGYLE, NY; Owner: NORTHEAST GOSPEL BROADCASTING INC)
- WBUG-FM (101.1 FM; FORT PLAIN, NY; Owner: ROSER COMMUNICATIONS NETWORK, INC.)
- WJIV (101.9 FM; CHERRY VALLEY, NY; Owner: CHRISTIAN BROADCASTING SYSTEM, LTD.)
- WPGL (90.7 FM; PATTERSONVILLE, NY; Owner: SOUND OF LIFE, INC.)
- WSSK (89.7 FM; SARATOGA SPRINGS, NY; Owner: SOUND OF LIFE, INC.)
- WQBJ (103.5 FM; COBLESKILL, NY; Owner: REGENT LICENSEE OF MANSFIELD, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Hope:
- WYPX (Channel 55; AMSTERDAM, NY; Owner: PAXSON ALBANY LICENSE, INC.)
- WKTV (Channel 2; UTICA, NY; Owner: SMITH TELEVISION OF NEW YORK LICENSE HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WFNY-CA (Channel 49; GLOVERSVILLE, NY; Owner: MICHAEL A. SLEEZER)
Total length: 5 meters (16ft)
Total costs: $10,081,000
Total average daily traffic: 1,950
Total average daily truck traffic: 133
Total future (year 2030) average daily traffic: 2,617