Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 10:28 AM

908 posts, read 1,118,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
Technically, if you are a US citizen and have no criminal record they must allow you entry into the US. If you do not have required documentation this can take extra time and they can perhaps even fine you but ultimately they cannot deny you entry into your country of citizenship.
I used to date a Canadian - I flew over one time and forgot my passport at her house - 2.5 hours away. The flight was an hour off, I would miss my flight. I talked to the women at the front counter and they pointed me to a soundproof room. I picked up a phone and some mysterious TSA was on the other end; I explained to them my situation and they let me on the plane. They said they could not deny me into my own country - I'm sure they had ways to verify who I was.

If they ask you about your name, explain. I lived out in Maine for 4 months last year and used a passport with a NY address. Canada NEVER bothered me about it; the US never did either but they did check me constantly. Canada really has no interest in it - the reason Canada takes passports is because the US demanded it start after 9/11. If you got nothing to worry about, you won't have any problems. You might have to deal with douches, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 08:33 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,811,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
Interesting about TSA. I never thought it would make a difference at the airport since the stated purpose of the enhanced is not for air travel. They didn't have the enhanced license when I lived in NYS so I haven't had one yet. When I get back I'll probably go for that one, even though I have a passport.
FWIW, the enhanced was more of a pain to get than our passports. We went into the local DMV, with the online DMV forms for enhanced already filled out and needed proof of "existance" ( old licenses), and proof of living in NY in the last 30 days (our bills, name attached, with date) and also our proof of taxes for the previous year (in NY). Considering we were registering a car at the same time, I thought it all absurd. I even took our birth certificates, full well knowing while my passport is proof of citizenship, I might as well have 2 of everything.

What it boils down to? Never trust any govt. office. Bring more than you need.... if you get a clerk who had a bad day, who knows what you get asked. Fortunately the crabby lady I got was delighted in handing me off to the nice girl taking care of my husband and the car registration. She took care of both of us in a short time and with little hassle.

[Also, Canadians are generally easier to deal with than US border agents...I have only met one "odd" one in over 42 years. Coming home? I have met quite a few]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area