Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2012, 08:18 AM

294 posts, read 743,886 times

Advertisements

How did it affect you? Snow on ground? Loss of power? What is gas situation like? Shortages? Lines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 08:54 AM

984 posts, read 2,712,873 times
Sandy's impact was no different than an average storm. No snow. Wind knocked down a few branches. Areas that typically flood flooded a bit. Small isolated power outages.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:27 PM

879 posts, read 1,631,387 times
I had a lawn chair knocked over. I called FEMA for help but nobody came. It's still on it's side...

Old 11-04-2012, 06:52 PM

984 posts, read 2,712,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
I had a lawn chair knocked over. I called FEMA for help but nobody came. It's still on it's side...
Maybe try the red cross!

Old 11-13-2012, 11:06 AM

323 posts, read 1,791,517 times
LOL.. Actually I was in NYC/NJ area during Hurricane Sandy and was one of the Nurses working at NYU in Manhattan.
I kept calling home (To Buffalo) trying to figure out if Buffalo was affected by Hurricane Sandy and initially when I was sharing with my family what I was going through in the NYC metro area it felt like everyone thought I was exaggerating things... not~!

Since I am a contract Nurse and have been going back and forth to NYU since 2009, my contract was canceled as a result of the storm and now I am back home in Buffalo. (unemployed)

The news DID NOT sensationalize the Hurricane Sandy storm. It is as bad as they say it is. I saw and waited in long lines(think miles long) for gas only to find that the station had none left.
I had no electricity, internet, cell phone use.
Big Granpa tree's came up by the roots and werre toppled on cars.

NYU experienced storm surges of over 13ft. They still do not know when they will be able to open the Hospital. I mean this is not a little dinky rural Hospital. It is a MAJOR University Hospital in Manhattan. Along with the VA, Bellevue Hospital. They are all located on First Ave in lower Manhattan .
Very sad about NYU as I truly loved my job and the Nurses I worked with.
However happy to be home.
For once Buffalo is not in the spot light about the weather ~!

Old 11-13-2012, 11:15 AM

294 posts, read 743,886 times
thanks. I finally got power back on after 2 weeks on Long Island.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:40 PM

29 posts, read 60,906 times
I was filling up things with water, finding batteries for flashlights, pulling out candles, etc.

Then NOTHING happened, lol. It rained sideways for like two days, some minor winds (weaker than an average winter day most years) made my old house creak a bit. That was it. I'm still watering my plants and feeding my cats with the pitchers of water I filled, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
View detailed profiles of: