Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 03:08 PM

93,239 posts, read 123,876,708 times

Advertisements

I was curious, but besides the village of Lewiston, what are other popular suburban/village and perhaps small city communities that offer that walkable vibe? Just to give an idea of what I'm asking, if we look at other areas, think of villages/communities like Pittsford, Skaneateles, Clinton, Delmar, Cazenovia, Brockport, etc. I was thinking of East Aurora as well, but are there others that would fit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 04:11 PM

24 posts, read 43,076 times
How could you leave Village of Williamsville out........walkable, surrounded by parks, quaint houses plus Williamsville school.......

Old 04-22-2014, 05:40 AM

223 posts, read 732,184 times
Lewiston is beautiful! I'd add East Aurora and Williamsville for sure.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:38 AM

252 posts, read 649,789 times
Hamburg and Orchard Park have reasonably intact village centers. Kenmore has a nice "Main Street" in Delaware Avenue, and the entire village is dense enough and with a traditional street grid so that you can easily walk to things. (Unfortunately, they are closing the schools in Kenmore, so kids in the village won't be able to walk to a neighborhood school anymore.) North Tonawanda has a couple of traditional commercial streets. The city of Lockport has a somewhat intact urban core. East Aurora and Williamsville as mentioned above (Williamsville's Main Street is too wide and fast to really be "walkable" but the village is trying hard to implement some traffic calming to make it a more pleasant village atmosphere).

Old 04-23-2014, 08:55 AM

417 posts, read 867,425 times
Lewiston (unfortunately too far from the city of Buffalo for me to commute regularly), East Aurora, Williamsville, Snyder, Orchard Park are my favorites.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:57 PM

Are there any other communities like Snyder, that aren't villages or cities, that fit?

Old 05-04-2014, 09:33 PM

What a community like Olcott or Youngstown?

Old 05-04-2014, 11:53 PM

5,469 posts, read 3,913,523 times
Walkable =/= "it" IMO. Several WNY municipalities are walkable; none of them are "it", IMO. Nothing in this region fits the description which is connoted by the usage of the highly loaded pronoun "it". Assuming you mean "it" the way I do, as in deliverer of everything one needs, commercially AND culturally...we're decidedly devoid of such a place. The good news for Erie County is, so is anywhere east of California. The US is a dead zone of Eisenhower interstates and Reaganomics-inspired strip malls and Halliburton-dictated energy usurpations and Democrat-complicit projects all of which I have named. I hate my state and I hate my country, idiocracy that it is

Old 05-05-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Walkable =/= "it" IMO. Several WNY municipalities are walkable; none of them are "it", IMO. Nothing in this region fits the description which is connoted by the usage of the highly loaded pronoun "it". Assuming you mean "it" the way I do, as in deliverer of everything one needs, commercially AND culturally...we're decidedly devoid of such a place. The good news for Erie County is, so is anywhere east of California. The US is a dead zone of Eisenhower interstates and Reaganomics-inspired strip malls and Halliburton-dictated energy usurpations and Democrat-complicit projects all of which I have named. I hate my state and I hate my country, idiocracy that it is
I probably could have phrased the title better, but I was just thinking of communities with walkability, shopping, events/festivals, etc. I guess you could add appearance to a degree as well. It seems tough to explain, but that was why I tried to give examples of such communities.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:14 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What a community like Olcott or Youngstown?
Both are very small but have identifable village centers. Both are very pleasant places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area