Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2014, 08:01 AM

87 posts, read 309,144 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are going to be visiting in a few weeks and we're huge fans of Zoos. We don't stop and stare at every single animal on exhibit, but we do like to take our time at each new zoo we visit. We're setting aside a whole day (9-5, at least) as we normally do, but about how long should it take, on average to see the Zoo? Would we be hard-pressed to find stuff to keep us at the Zoo all day or will we definitely need most of that 9-5 time slot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 11:26 AM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,194 times
I'm not familiar with the Buffalo Zoo but if you can handle about a 2 hour drive each way, the Toronto Metro Zoo is a really good one. We're zoo fans as well, members of the NY Zoological Society (Bronx Zoo) and we love the Toronto Zoo. You would need a passport or enhanced license though to cross the border. Just a thought. There's also a brand new Aquarium in Toronto we have not visited yet.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
I'm not familiar with the Buffalo Zoo but if you can handle about a 2 hour drive each way, the Toronto Metro Zoo is a really good one. We're zoo fans as well, members of the NY Zoological Society (Bronx Zoo) and we love the Toronto Zoo. You would need a passport or enhanced license though to cross the border. Just a thought. There's also a brand new Aquarium in Toronto we have not visited yet.
Thank You for the suggestion, but we're really looking to visit just the Buffalo Zoo, since our Summer Vacation this summer is specifically Buffalo and Niagara Falls.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:41 PM

69 posts, read 194,083 times
Hi,

Just wanted to write that I'm happy that you're coming to Buffalo and Niagara Falls for your summer vacation! I haven't been to the Zoo myself, but from friends that go there a lot I've heard it's a great smaller zoo. They recently had tons of press because of a polar bear cub named Luna -- there were little lines of cars for a mile going to see her. Luna has grown up a bit now, but the zoo had a good year because of her. Based on its size, time-wise it seems like you could get through it in a morning, maybe a little longer if you go leisurely. If you do ending up having extra time in the afternoon afterwards, it's right in the middle of Buffalo's big urban park, Delaware Park, which is really beautiful with lakes and forested areas and little bridges and stuff. The park also has one of our art museums and our history museum in it as well, and is home to Shakespeare in the Park, which is free and runs most nights all summer long.

Here's a recent blog post of the city's attractions:
Hipster City Travel: Buffalo, New York
I heartily recommend Food Truck Tuesdays from 5-8pm at Larkinville, when there are around 25 food trucks to choose from. Also, if you are coming in late June, there is City of Night (a giant art show held in our historic grain elevators) or in late July, there is the GardenWalk, which is the biggest in the country.

As for Niagara Falls, of course you have to go there!! It's really nice. Truthfully, the Canadian side of the Falls is a bit nicer because you can see the horseshoe falls from the Canadian side. The American side is kind of behind the falls, so there is less of a view. The American side is more naturalistic and not as commercial, whereas the Canadian side is more touristy. Honestly, outside of the immediate Falls area, which is nice, the city of Niagara Falls, NY is pretty run-down, but there are some good restaurants - The Why is a well-known breakfast place, for example.

Enjoy!!

Old 06-23-2014, 06:16 AM

719 posts, read 1,553,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat2d Bald Dude View Post
My wife and I are going to be visiting in a few weeks and we're huge fans of Zoos. We don't stop and stare at every single animal on exhibit, but we do like to take our time at each new zoo we visit. We're setting aside a whole day (9-5, at least) as we normally do, but about how long should it take, on average to see the Zoo? Would we be hard-pressed to find stuff to keep us at the Zoo all day or will we definitely need most of that 9-5 time slot?
Hi Tat2d,
When my son was younger, the (ex)wife and I would take him and typically spend 3-4 hours there. You should be able to see just about everything and not feel to rushed. It's a nice zoo. I think you and your family will enjoy it.
Thanks,
Big D JT

Old 07-01-2014, 07:24 PM

Thank You for all of the helpful information! We're very excited about coming next week!

Old 07-07-2014, 06:41 PM

77 posts, read 280,479 times
Hi. You'll be able to get through the zoo in 2-3 hours. It's a smaller zoo and it's very manageable.

Have a great time during your trip. There's a lot to see and do in Buffalo.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:14 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,263,377 times
Nice zoo, see many of the animals up close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area