Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2014, 06:07 PM

15 posts, read 29,806 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have some Indian friends moving to Buffalo,NY from India due to job reasons.Job location is Downtown Buffalo NY.

I have the following questions on their behalf:

1. Suggestions for safe and good places to rent apartment with

a. Good School District for kids(KinderGarten)

b. Decent Indian/South Asian community ad Grocery Stores

2. I have heard Buffalo gets quite cold/snowy during winters,any special precautions required w.r.t driving around?

3. Please also suggest a good area to rent apartments with easy commute to Buffalo Downtown keeping all the above factors in mind.

Many thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 07:01 PM

879 posts, read 1,631,737 times
The best representation of ethnic stores is probably the west side of Buffalo.

If by 'good' schools you mean test scores, then skip the school analysis and buy in the most expensive suburb because that is supposedly where the 'best' schools will be. Be careful about buying in the first ring suburbs as people bought there for "good schools" but there is a demographic shift which threatens their stability. We see this with white flight from the 1st ring burbs to 2nd ring burbs.

Buffalo is easier to drive around than most places during the winter because it is simply too cold for the snow to turn to ice like you have in Maryland, D.C., Virginia, and some points south.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:48 AM

15 posts, read 29,806 times
Thanks Genobie.

My friends are not planning to buy but rent apartments.Can you suggest some areas/suburbs in Buffalo where they can look for apartments e.g Amherst etc with above criteria?

For winters ,is 4WD required or simole 2WD will be ok?

Old 09-15-2014, 07:23 AM

93,391 posts, read 124,009,048 times
It seems like Amherst/Williamsville near UB and around the Main Street corridor would fit(Amherst, Sweet Home and Williamsville SD's). There is a portion of the city west of Main and SW of the UB South campus that has a high Asian percentage including Indians/South Asians. This is the portion of the city I'm referring to: Census Tract 004601 in Erie County, New York
Census Tract 004601 in Erie County, New York Population and Races

Here are some of the other areas that may work: Census Tract 009301 in Erie County, New York
Census Tract 009301 in Erie County, New York Population and Races

Census Tract 009109 in Erie County, New York
Census Tract 009109 in Erie County, New York Population and Races

Census Tract 009200 in Erie County, New York
Census Tract 009200 in Erie County, New York Population and Races

Census Tract 009006 in Erie County, New York
Census Tract 009006 in Erie County, New York Population and Races

Census Tract 009008 in Erie County, New York
Census Tract 009008 in Erie County, New York Population and Races

Census Tract 009600 in Erie County, New York
Census Tract 009600 in Erie County, New York Population and Races

There are some others in that general area that may fit what you are looking for as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-15-2014 at 07:48 AM..

Old 09-15-2014, 11:44 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desi_geek View Post
Thanks Genobie.

My friends are not planning to buy but rent apartments.Can you suggest some areas/suburbs in Buffalo where they can look for apartments e.g Amherst etc with above criteria?

For winters ,is 4WD required or simole 2WD will be ok?
2WD is fine. Just buy a set of steel wheels and mount winter tires on them. It will save you money vs. AWD and is much safer anyway.

Winter driving here isn't all that bad. Like another poster says, it gets cold enough to stick and get fluffy. The roads are well salted.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:44 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
Your Indian friends will find that Amherst will be one of the most welcoming towns.

There are many Indian ethnic groceries along Sheridan Drive. Asking in an Indian store would be useful
Indian|Pakistani|Bangla|Desi Food & Grocery Stores in Buffalo, New York

Another alternative is to ask at a religious institution - I do not know the religion here, but they might find assistance.

How old are your friends? With a kindergarten student,I do not think they are older than 30/35. SUNYAB ( the University of Buffalo) has many Indian students. Calling to the University might turn up areas where the large contingents of renters are. I imagine looking for the housing office might help; or any one with off campus housing info.

In any case, all of the above entail living in the suburbs. Driving to a park-and-ride ( there are many for both bus and rail, the rail is at downtown SUNYAB Campus) is easier on getting downtown in winter than driving if they have no clue about snow. Suburbs are generally very well cleared, so it usually is not an issue.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:47 AM

879 posts, read 1,631,737 times
BuffaloTransplant forgot to mention that you should bring a school district map with you because town and village lines do not necessarily follow school district lines.

If memory serves me correctly, Williamsville Schools had the highest ranking (that is to say they had the greatest number of wealthy residents) followed by the Amherst Central School District and then after that it's SweetHome and then Kenmore/Tonawanda (as there are a few parts of Amherst that would attend KenTon schools). There is considerable difference in those rankings, Williamsville usually holds a top spot, Amherst is just outside the top ten, Sweethome is in the low 20's (and has seen and KenTon is about halfway down the ladder in the 50's (out of about 100 districts).

So choose carefully, as I said before, just find the area with the wealthiest residents because that is where you will find the "best" schools.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:40 AM

93,391 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Here's that list: 2013 Western New York school district rankings - Buffalo - Business First

This can also give some information about school districts/schools, including charter schools: Erie County | New York State Education Department Data Site
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area