Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 12:00 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
No, I'm talking about the middle class city neighborhood of the same name. Central Park - City of Buffalo - Neighborhoods - Map Collection - University at Buffalo Libraries If that video was even in the neighborhood.

Also, I said that some Bills players live in the city, not necessarily the Central Park neighborhood. Read the post again.
Here are census block groups in the Central Park neighborhood: Census Block Group 004800-2 in Erie County, New York

Census Block Group 004500-4 in Erie County, New York

Census Block Group 004500-5 in Erie County, New York

A street view: https://goo.gl/maps/wc4dEza3cTA2

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-20-2016 at 12:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 06:52 AM

879 posts, read 1,631,155 times
I've lived in Buffalo for the past 25 years. I have my family here. I love it here. My house was cheap when I bought it, my neighborhood is as safe as any suburban neighborhood. My taxes are low and I've saved a ton of money over the years by living here. I've bought rental property and I've seen my house prices double in the past ten years. My family has one car and I can commute to work by bicycle.
I've taught my kids that while school is important, if you want to advance our understanding of the world and the universe you should question everything *but* support opposing views with evidence. I've also taught my kids that if you can read, and you have an interest, you should take charge of your own education and consult others when necessary. I am of the opinion that these two ideas, taken together, will take them as far, or perhaps father, than traditional schooling will permit.
My kids are also capable of working with a variety of people rather than having a homogeneous worldview perspective. This approach is going to become increasingly important if we want to live together instead of in isolation. With the world population approaching nine billion by the time I die, that's going to be fairly important and my kids will be prepared for such a future.
I personally don't care where people live, but I wouldn't judge based on what all my coworkers do. Sure, CP is rough. I wouldn't live there.
There's plenty of video of people behaving badly and it happens everywhere.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:54 AM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,217,950 times
Moved to Central Texas 5 years ago. I go to Buffalo once a year to visit family.

Last year we went to the 716 bar/restaurant with the large Tim Hortons. Glad to see that Pegula dumped a bunch of money into the area. Have no idea why they didn't put good food on the menu? It seems like it is concession stand style food, with a bar.

A few weeks ago we went to Riverworks. I was greeted by a dumpy dirt parking lot with potholes all in it, and unorganized parking. Open air bar was nice. Nice views of the water, wide open. But again food was bland and boring. Don't need a grilled sandwich made 20 different ways.

I sold my investment properties in South Buffalo a couple years ago. Glad I did, because there are probably 5-6 boarded up abandoned houses on my old street. When I lived there, we "only" had 2-3.

I was told property values are going up, but what is the economic driver behind that? Did a large business/corporation come to town and hire thousands of workers who need housing? Do people suddenly like to come here because it is hip/trendy? Property taxes in the suburbs are insane. I used to laugh when people would feel so good about getting the STAR rebate check or whatever scheme they have for the year. Common sense is that you are paying way to much property tax in the first place, so a paper check from the state makes you feel good? Its YOUR MONEY.

What do citizens get for their property taxes in the suburbs? When I lived in West Seneca I got nothing but garbage pickup and plowing of the streets.

Just off the top of my head, the city I live in here in Texas offers... Free Live Music in the town square, which is totally clean no dumpy people. Food trucks come in and offer interesting food. There are 3-4 good restaurants within walking distance of the town square. Brewery style restaurants..

More retail shopping than anyone could ever need. Every restaurant you have ever heard of. Costco/Ikea/Factory Outlet Mall.

We have many city pools, including a huge water park with cabanas and plasma TV's. Admission is 5 dollars per person. We have two recreation centers with the latest equipment, and indoor swimming year round. I think the rec center costs $75 per year for resident couples.

A very nice recycling center with a program to loan residents TOOLS for free to get something done around the house or yard. Also you can get free cans of paint that someone else didn't want.

Rebates for upgrading to low flow toilets, or doing energy smart upgrades.

We have a very large festival of lights during Christmas, a huge 4th of July festival. Triple A baseball in a nice ballpark, AHL hockey in a 4 year old stadium, beach volleyball, 10 soccer fields, new soccer complex being built right now. Several golf courses.

I could go on and on, and this is just a little city in central Texas. If we get "bored", we drive up to Dallas or Houston and we haven't even scratched the surface on stuff to do there.

Oh, and I have no idea why a city would bet so much on a sporting goods store. That Bass Pro that was going to be built in Buffalo ended up being built in Round Rock, Texas. Honestly in the end, it is just a sporting goods store with a restaurant and a bowling alley. I don't see the big deal. We have Cabella's, Field and Stream, Gander Mountain, Dicks, and Academy Sports already.

People would not go to downtown Buffalo to do retail shopping.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post
Moved to Central Texas 5 years ago. I go to Buffalo once a year to visit family.

Last year we went to the 716 bar/restaurant with the large Tim Hortons. Glad to see that Pegula dumped a bunch of money into the area. Have no idea why they didn't put good food on the menu? It seems like it is concession stand style food, with a bar.

A few weeks ago we went to Riverworks. I was greeted by a dumpy dirt parking lot with potholes all in it, and unorganized parking. Open air bar was nice. Nice views of the water, wide open. But again food was bland and boring. Don't need a grilled sandwich made 20 different ways.

I sold my investment properties in South Buffalo a couple years ago. Glad I did, because there are probably 5-6 boarded up abandoned houses on my old street. When I lived there, we "only" had 2-3.

I was told property values are going up, but what is the economic driver behind that? Did a large business/corporation come to town and hire thousands of workers who need housing? Do people suddenly like to come here because it is hip/trendy? Property taxes in the suburbs are insane. I used to laugh when people would feel so good about getting the STAR rebate check or whatever scheme they have for the year. Common sense is that you are paying way to much property tax in the first place, so a paper check from the state makes you feel good? Its YOUR MONEY.

What do citizens get for their property taxes in the suburbs? When I lived in West Seneca I got nothing but garbage pickup and plowing of the streets.

Just off the top of my head, the city I live in here in Texas offers... Free Live Music in the town square, which is totally clean no dumpy people. Food trucks come in and offer interesting food. There are 3-4 good restaurants within walking distance of the town square. Brewery style restaurants..

More retail shopping than anyone could ever need. Every restaurant you have ever heard of. Costco/Ikea/Factory Outlet Mall.

We have many city pools, including a huge water park with cabanas and plasma TV's. Admission is 5 dollars per person. We have two recreation centers with the latest equipment, and indoor swimming year round. I think the rec center costs $75 per year for resident couples.

A very nice recycling center with a program to loan residents TOOLS for free to get something done around the house or yard. Also you can get free cans of paint that someone else didn't want.

Rebates for upgrading to low flow toilets, or doing energy smart upgrades.

We have a very large festival of lights during Christmas, a huge 4th of July festival. Triple A baseball in a nice ballpark, AHL hockey in a 4 year old stadium, beach volleyball, 10 soccer fields, new soccer complex being built right now. Several golf courses.

I could go on and on, and this is just a little city in central Texas. If we get "bored", we drive up to Dallas or Houston and we haven't even scratched the surface on stuff to do there.

Oh, and I have no idea why a city would bet so much on a sporting goods store. That Bass Pro that was going to be built in Buffalo ended up being built in Round Rock, Texas. Honestly in the end, it is just a sporting goods store with a restaurant and a bowling alley. I don't see the big deal. We have Cabella's, Field and Stream, Gander Mountain, Dicks, and Academy Sports already.

People would not go to downtown Buffalo to do retail shopping.
I think the city came to its senses about Bass Pro and people seem to like the park development that is in that area.

Hertel Ave and Elmwood would be the best bets for pedestrian and retail activity. Some cities may have active Downtowns in regards to both, but some cities are more neighborhood oriented instead.

Toronto is a viable option for people in the Buffalo area in terms of a bigger metro area.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-21-2016 at 04:40 PM..

Old 08-21-2016, 04:17 PM

More info: https://buffalostreets.com/2012/11/20/central-park/

Keep in mind that the actual neighborhood is west of Main Street, while the plaza/Central Park Plaza the street is east of Main and may be viewed as being in the neighborhood when it isn't or that portion is a small part of the neighborhood. This area would be included into the residential area according to this map above: Census Block Group 005201-1 in Erie County, New York So, all 3 or 4 census block groups in that neighborhood are around or above the state median household income figure.

That census block group is also viewed as being in this neighborhood: Parkside Community Association - Home Page

Some other census block groups in that neighborhood: Census Block Group 005201-3 in Erie County, New York

Census Block Group 005201-2 in Erie County, New York

Census Block Group 005201-4 in Erie County, New York

A street view: https://goo.gl/maps/JVRMwUJhuA42

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-21-2016 at 04:52 PM..

Old 08-21-2016, 08:52 PM

Here is a solidly middle class area: Census Tract 000700 in Erie County, New York of this area of the city: South Buffalo - City of Buffalo - Neighborhoods - Map Collection - University at Buffalo Libraries These lower middle class tracts are on either side of that census tract: Census Tract 001000 in Erie County, New York

Census Tract 000600 in Erie County, New York

A street view: https://goo.gl/maps/uFeFraaWLLE2

Here is another nice middle class area: Census Tract 005400 in Erie County, New York

North Park - City of Buffalo - Neighborhoods - Map Collection - University at Buffalo Libraries

A street view: https://goo.gl/maps/MdLV283v1cr

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-21-2016 at 09:32 PM..

Old 08-21-2016, 10:30 PM

879 posts, read 1,631,155 times
JH6, just curious (because a relative of mine moved to Houston a few years ago) you probably have to pay flood insurance? The taxes my brother pays on his house (~$500K) are about $10K. So taxes are lower but because house prices are that much higher, zero sum gain? Furthermore, if he decides to stay, won't he pay nearly $1.3M for that house (incl. mort interest?), so what's the real benefit? At least here, when taxes are high the money stays in the community. In his case the bank gets the difference and just sits on it...

Old 08-22-2016, 05:58 AM
JH6

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
JH6, just curious (because a relative of mine moved to Houston a few years ago) you probably have to pay flood insurance? The taxes my brother pays on his house (~$500K) are about $10K. So taxes are lower but because house prices are that much higher, zero sum gain? Furthermore, if he decides to stay, won't he pay nearly $1.3M for that house (incl. mort interest?), so what's the real benefit? At least here, when taxes are high the money stays in the community. In his case the bank gets the difference and just sits on it...
I am north of Austin, we are not in a flood area. Insurance on my home is $600 per year. I inquired about flood insurance, we did not need it but we could buy a rider for an additional $500 if we really wanted it. Taxes are $2600ish on a $180k house. My house is no more than most homes in Amherst and it is similar in quality. We pay no state income tax either.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post
I am north of Austin, we are not in a flood area. Insurance on my home is $600 per year. I inquired about flood insurance, we did not need it but we could buy a rider for an additional $500 if we really wanted it. Taxes are $2600ish on a $180k house. My house is no more than most homes in Amherst and it is similar in quality. We pay no state income tax either.
Is there an HOA or are you HOA free? I've heard of a toll tax, but is that anything substantial?

Old 08-23-2016, 05:24 AM
JH6

HOA is 75 dollars per quarter, and we have two pools, a workout center and showers. Most houses in the suburbs have HOA, only in the rural areas do not have HOA.

Toll tax refers to the toll highways that some people take. I do not take them to get to work, but if you need to go downtown they can get expensive. Some of the toll roads are based on demand, so rush hour will cost more than off peak times. I spend maybe 5 dollars per week on toll roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area