Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 09:04 AM

15 posts, read 31,957 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a house in West Falls and it is at the very tip top of the Springville-Griffith school district's border with the East Aurora school district. It is 14.5 miles (nearly 30 minutes) from the Springville-Griffith high school but only 5.5 miles from the East Aurora high school. While my daughter is only 2.5 years old, I'm considering the future.

Has anyone been able to change the school district their child attends? Is distance enough of a reason? I don't expect to be able to play any special education service needs. Thank you for any information you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 09:23 AM

93,204 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Your child would have to attend the HS in the district you live in. However, if you want to send her to East Aurora HS, you would have to pay tuition and there would have to be room for your child. I believe that you would have to provide transportation to the school. Hopefully others will chime in.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:49 AM

821 posts, read 759,975 times
ooo a thread i'm an expert in. I know a lot of people in the Springville district. First off, there is nothing wrong with the Springville district. But you are in that weird area where the district goes way too far up. Your daughter would go to colden elementary, which is better than springville elementary.

I have known people to switch districts, but the Springville district is notoriously difficult to deal with. West Falls is in the same boat as boston, which is in the hamburg district but is also miles away. And believe me, the drive from West Falls to Springville on rt 240 can be horrendous in the winter. My advice is to not move to west falls. I would try to find a home within the EA school disrict, or farther into the Springville district, such as colden.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
ooo a thread i'm an expert in. I know a lot of people in the Springville district. First off, there is nothing wrong with the Springville district. But you are in that weird area where the district goes way too far up. Your daughter would go to colden elementary, which is better than springville elementary.

I have known people to switch districts, but the Springville district is notoriously difficult to deal with. West Falls is in the same boat as boston, which is in the hamburg district but is also miles away. And believe me, the drive from West Falls to Springville on rt 240 can be horrendous in the winter. My advice is to not move to west falls. I would try to find a home within the EA school disrict, or farther into the Springville district, such as colden.
Thanks for the specific details. I was afraid of this. I suspect the only other option would be whatever bureaucratic morass would be necessary to actually get the district lines moved (if I buy the house and start right now, maybe I'll get somewhere before my toddler completes high school...)

I've got nothing specifically against Springville district (I mean, it isn't ranked as high as EA, but that isn't my primary issue), just that the drive to the high school seems quite excessive and most of the neighbors would be going to EA. Colden elementary actually seems quite nice.

Thanks again!

Old 03-06-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Your child would have to attend the HS in the district you live in. However, if you want to send her to East Aurora HS, you would have to pay tuition and there would have to be room for your child. I believe that you would have to provide transportation to the school. Hopefully others will chime in.
I read something about that as well and that the cost is right up there with going to a private school.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphysParadox View Post
Thanks for the specific details. I was afraid of this. I suspect the only other option would be whatever bureaucratic morass would be necessary to actually get the district lines moved (if I buy the house and start right now, maybe I'll get somewhere before my toddler completes high school...)

I've got nothing specifically against Springville district (I mean, it isn't ranked as high as EA, but that isn't my primary issue), just that the drive to the high school seems quite excessive and most of the neighbors would be going to EA. Colden elementary actually seems quite nice.

Thanks again!
Exactly. Colden is actually a great little school nestled in the valley and is ranked relatively high. Ive always been one to say boston and colden should form thier own district because they get chopped up into pieces that are illogical.

Altough, if you really love the house then im sure you could adjust. Plenty of people have.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:22 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,865,132 times
Sorta like the Orchard Park school district goes wayyyy down Cole road almost all the way to Colden.

This particular area of Colden/West Falls/Boston seems to get split up on some interesting boundary lines

Old 03-06-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Sorta like the Orchard Park school district goes wayyyy down Cole road almost all the way to Colden.

This particular area of Colden/West Falls/Boston seems to get split up on some interesting boundary lines
I have family that lives in the Boston Zip code, but pays town of Concord taxes, along with Springville school taxes, and their kids went to Colden elementary. The people that choose to live in Boston, Colden, West Falls, East Concord, and Glenwood have to like being removed from everything. There are no hospitals, stores, or schools in many instances for miles. Between Springville and Hamburg, those services are kinda hard to come by. But for some people, that is their cup of tea and love it that way. Here is a map of the districts by the way. Springville extends abnormally far into Colden. Those areas IMO should be in East Aurora.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:32 PM

93,204 posts, read 123,819,554 times
OP, are you just considering the Southtowns or are you open to other parts of the metro area?

Old 03-08-2017, 10:13 AM

879 posts, read 1,629,954 times
You cannot pay tuition for another district unless you are relocating to this district. The cost of this tuition is around the $11K mark in which case I would choose Elmwood-Franklin...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area