Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2010, 04:11 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,906,192 times

Advertisements

I am just starting to consider doing this. Looking at my options. I love Upstate New York's farming communities. Going towards Erie PA or north along the Niagara peninsula -aside from the types of farms any glaring differences. Eire county versus Niagara, etc.?

What grows especially well given the soil? apples? corn? grapes? I seem to see alot of farming enroute to Rochester -are there more farms in the Rochester area or Buffalo?
(I used to teach in Lockport and I swear every kid in my class lived on a farm!)
ANybody out there ever run a farm or grew up on one?

We are retiring soon and may want to run a small farm, or nursery for income.

We may be too idealistic in our thinking - mainly interested in what are the deterrents. But it sounds like it might be fun. Someone was auctioning one off craigslist that was a u-pick apple farm for 875k! I guess that's a lot of apples.. I hate pesticides so it would have to be growing something that does not require a lot of spraying I am still reseaching all this but thought I'd post this to hear from hopefully a real live farmer! Thanks!

Last edited by 12buttons; 10-30-2010 at 04:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 09:19 AM

93,393 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Apples, grapes, corn, pears and onions are some things that come to mind.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:03 AM

2,899 posts, read 1,871,219 times
Once you get out into the exurbs there is a lot of agriculture in WNY.

Eden is known for their sweet corn. The Erie / Chautauqua lakeshore area is known for grapes, I think the Batavia area is known for carrots etc...

There are abundant apple orchards and pumpkin fields all over. There are many local "you pick" strawberry/blueberry fields as well. Dairy farms all over

Right along the lakes (erie, Ontario) tends to have a slightly more stable and moderate climate than farther inland

Old 03-14-2017, 06:32 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,266,218 times
Niagara county has a ton of fruit especially ��

Old 03-14-2017, 07:34 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,993 times
My friends out in the eden area grow Christmas trees, and they sell very well for a product that grows itself so to speak. They also do especially well with raspberries and strawberries. Fruits and berries sell for higher prices than veggies.
Good luck your on your way to living my dream! Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area