Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 07:19 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,260,177 times

Advertisements

I used live on Clarence center road and now see a another strip mall right behind my old house location. Glad I moved from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 12:58 PM

Now I see vacant buildings now across from CVS

Old 09-25-2017, 08:03 AM

574 posts, read 382,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
I used live on Clarence center road and now see a another strip mall right behind my old house location. Glad I moved from there.
Who knows as to wether those farmland preservation efforts are actually working or not.. Clarence as a whole is seeming to be enticing for developers and cookie cutter homes, I'm suspecting that it will continue into Akron/Newstead and further on

Old 09-28-2017, 11:04 PM

5,464 posts, read 3,913,523 times
First time I ever noticed the resetting of the Transit Road addresses/house numbers was as a little kid. I used to love looking at the automotive section of the newspaper; I would look at all the car dealers' ads and compare the prices being offered for dealers of the same brand (Chevy v Chevy, Ford v Ford, etc). The one day I was perusing the ads, I noticed that Al Maroone Ford (which is now Dave Smith Ford, at the corner of Transit and Wehrle) had a listed address of 4045 Transit Road. How could that be, I wondered, when the then-newly built Tops at Transit and French in Depew was 4777? Perplexed, I asked my mom if we could take a drive to Al Maroone Ford (I was probably 6 or 7 years old at the time) so I could take part in an especially high-stakes edition of what was already one of my favorite pastimes--tracking the rise and fall of house numbers during drives with my parents. She obliged, and I soon discovered that they reset right near the I-90, much to my amazement. And the explanation for that took me much, much longer to realize--as someone above mentioned, each town uses their own sequence. This practice seems a lot more common in rural areas, where each village you might pass on route 5 or 20 or whatever has their own number sequencing...but on a road like Transit, Union, Harlem, NF Blvd, etc, one would not expect it.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:12 AM

135 posts, read 149,293 times
This is what happens when your towns elect people that appoint dummies as planners that don't save right-of-Way for an expressway. 25 years ago, we could have extended the Milestrip Expressway into Elma and then Lancaster and Claranxe to link up with the LaSalle. It's still possible, but some homes and business are in the way. Hey, we did it with the 33 and the 90, why not this. Otherwise the problem will just get worse because of eastward expansion towards Genesee County.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:57 AM

24 posts, read 18,401 times
That was back in 1970's But the people in Elma filed lawsuits and blocked it and that was the end of the outer loop.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:20 AM

384 posts, read 272,324 times
There was a time as recently as the early 1990s when large swaths of Transit Rd. were rural and dotted with residences. North of North French/County Rd up almost to Lockport at one point the road narrowed to two lanes (one lane each direction). There were houses, dairy farms, even a few small airfields in Clarence and Pendleton. Transit didn't start becoming more commercialized until you got a few miles into Niagara County near the Transit Drive-In. Even there, up into the 1990s there were a handful of older houses going up north of Robinson Rd. heading toward Lockport.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:33 AM

Drove around today and noticed not one friggin plow on transit, maple Sheridan, etc...

Are they on strike, just saw an accident on transit near north forest/French.

Wtf!!!!

Old 12-23-2017, 11:34 AM

I’m sure they will be scraping the dry payments the next damn day.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:36 AM

Please turn you damn lights on as well. I passed more cars dark one with no lights on as well.

All you have to do is turn the switch on the stalk people. I swear there all kinds of idiots now walking the planet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area