Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Waht do you think the chances are that the Metro rail will be extended
I am absolutely sure it will be built 1 4.17%
Maybe a 70% chance it will 6 25.00%
Maybe a 30% chance it will 7 29.17%
No chance whatsoever 10 41.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 04:25 PM

6,414 posts, read 4,908,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It

Losses have nothing to do with it, as all rail losses money.

Again, I’m not talking about places that are blocks away, but that literally have stops right next to them. So, if they are insignificant, then why have stops/rail access for these institutions?

So, there aren’t any colleges/universities in VA that charge employees for parking? Why does VCU in your city/area have these monthly parking rates for employees then? https://parking.vcu.edu/parking/facu...ons-and-rates/

Or why does the University of Richmond give citations on Basketball game days(again D1 program =$) if vehicles aren’t out of specific lots by a certain time? https://parking.richmond.edu

This looks similar to my experience and one is a state institution, with the other being a private one(which you would know). This isn’t for “I told you so” purposes(sad that I have to even say that), but it is to illustrate a reason why rail could be a viable option for some Canisius and Medaille students, faculty and staff. Let alone employees of the healthcare facilities and other places along the route.
You fail to see the point that Canisius and Medaille students have to live close to a station for the rail to be a viable alternative. I bet only a very small percentage do. It so much easier to take your car than drive to a station and take a train from there. Its easier to just go to your destination. This is not NYC where parking and traffic are nightmares and the subway makes sense as its quicker and has stations everywhere.

Wikipedia:

At the time of the start of construction, the line was intended to be the first line for an extensive heavy rail system that would spread throughout the city and suburbs. However, during the construction of the line and afterward, Buffalo's population declined significantly by approximately 55% from around 580,000 in 1950 to about 261,000 in 2010 and the new line's ridership was much lower than originally anticipated. The cost of the urban section was so high that no funding was available to extend the lines into the suburbs, including the Amherst campus of the University at Buffalo. Efforts to obtain funding for feeder lines have historically been met with little to no success

Looks like our Congressman is not totally on board:

Luke Moretti, News 4 Reporter - BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) - Expanding the Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority's light rail system to Amherst is moving forward now that its Board of Commissioners has given the green light to a nearly $5 million environmental review.

The review is being funded by the New York State's Buffalo Billion 2 initiative.

The plan calls for expanding the light rail system from the existing University Station in Buffalo onto UB's north campus in Amherst.

"This isn't something that we're pushing on the community. As we go through this process, if this is something that the community doesn't want, we'll pull back on, but I do think we need to advance it," said Kimberley Minkel, NFTA executive director.

But not everyone's onboard with the Amherst expansion plan.

Congressman Brian Higgins would like to see the NFTA shift its focus to improving the rail system downtown.

"Providing a state-of-the-art with new cars and new track bed and an attractive corridor between Canalside and the Buffalo Niagara medical campus; it will give new purpose to, I think, a rail system that's been looking for a purpose for 40 years," said Higgins, who sent a letter to the NFTA addressing his concerns.

NFTA officials say the environmental review will also look at the existing system, and that it will take between 24 and 30 months.

According to Minkel, the next phase, project development, would be another year after that.

She says the cost of the Amherst expansion, based on early estimates, is around $1.2 billion.

The big question.

Will the money, especially the federal government's end, be there when it comes time to build?

"Because I don't have a crystal ball, and that's a couple of years away, I think it's wise to position ourselves. Get this done so that if the money becomes available we can move forward on the project," said Minkel.

But if the NFTA moves on anything, Higgins, who commended the NFTA for advancing the redevelopment of the DL&W terminal, believes it should be improving the light rail experience downtown, instead of the Amherst extension.

"This isn't threatening to anybody. This is a common-sense approach to sustaining the great momentum that we have in downtown Buffalo. If somebody's got a better idea, advance it," he said.

Minkel says she plans to reach out to Higgins and reassure him that the existing stations will be looked at to see if there are opportunities for improvement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 04:38 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
You fail to see the point that Canisius and Medaille students have to live close to a station for the rail to be a viable alternative. I bet only a very small percentage do. It so much easier to take your car than drive to a station and take a train from there. Its easier to just go to your destination. This is not NYC where parking and traffic are nightmares and the subway makes sense as its quicker and has stations everywhere.

Wikipedia:

At the time of the start of construction, the line was intended to be the first line for an extensive heavy rail system that would spread throughout the city and suburbs. However, during the construction of the line and afterward, Buffalo's population declined significantly by approximately 55% from around 580,000 in 1950 to about 261,000 in 2010 and the new line's ridership was much lower than originally anticipated. The cost of the urban section was so high that no funding was available to extend the lines into the suburbs, including the Amherst campus of the University at Buffalo. Efforts to obtain funding for feeder lines have historically been met with little to no success

Looks like our Congressman is not totally on board:

Luke Moretti, News 4 Reporter - BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) - Expanding the Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority's light rail system to Amherst is moving forward now that its Board of Commissioners has given the green light to a nearly $5 million environmental review.

The review is being funded by the New York State's Buffalo Billion 2 initiative.

The plan calls for expanding the light rail system from the existing University Station in Buffalo onto UB's north campus in Amherst.

"This isn't something that we're pushing on the community. As we go through this process, if this is something that the community doesn't want, we'll pull back on, but I do think we need to advance it," said Kimberley Minkel, NFTA executive director.

But not everyone's onboard with the Amherst expansion plan.

Congressman Brian Higgins would like to see the NFTA shift its focus to improving the rail system downtown.

"Providing a state-of-the-art with new cars and new track bed and an attractive corridor between Canalside and the Buffalo Niagara medical campus; it will give new purpose to, I think, a rail system that's been looking for a purpose for 40 years," said Higgins, who sent a letter to the NFTA addressing his concerns.

NFTA officials say the environmental review will also look at the existing system, and that it will take between 24 and 30 months.

According to Minkel, the next phase, project development, would be another year after that.

She says the cost of the Amherst expansion, based on early estimates, is around $1.2 billion.

The big question.

Will the money, especially the federal government's end, be there when it comes time to build?

"Because I don't have a crystal ball, and that's a couple of years away, I think it's wise to position ourselves. Get this done so that if the money becomes available we can move forward on the project," said Minkel.

But if the NFTA moves on anything, Higgins, who commended the NFTA for advancing the redevelopment of the DL&W terminal, believes it should be improving the light rail experience downtown, instead of the Amherst extension.

"This isn't threatening to anybody. This is a common-sense approach to sustaining the great momentum that we have in downtown Buffalo. If somebody's got a better idea, advance it," he said.

Minkel says she plans to reach out to Higgins and reassure him that the existing stations will be looked at to see if there are opportunities for improvement.
Again, I’m looking at this in relation to a potential extension, where some could live within close proximity to rail or even if they drive a short distance to a station, it is another option.

I think the second to last segment of the post is the key. There has to be some vision/ideas for the area in order to move forward.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:05 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Losses have nothing to do with it, as all rail loses money.

Again, I’m not talking about places that are blocks away, but that literally have stops right next to them. So, if they are insignificant, then why have stops/rail access for these institutions?

So, there aren’t any colleges/universities in VA that charge employees for parking? Why does VCU in your city/area have these monthly parking rates for employees then? https://parking.vcu.edu/parking/facu...ons-and-rates/

Or why does the University of Richmond give citations on Basketball game days(again D1 program =$) if vehicles aren’t out of specific lots by a certain time? https://parking.richmond.edu

This looks similar to my experience and one is a state institution, with the other being a private one(which you would know). This isn’t for “I told you so†purposes(sad that I have to even say that), but it is to illustrate a reason why rail could be a viable option for some Canisius and Medaille students, faculty and staff. Let alone employees of the healthcare facilities and other places along the route.
Good question on VCU my daughter worked for them and received parking at no cost same with Richmond where she currently is. The lots you mentioned at Richmond are 1/3 student lot 2/3 open faculty and staff are not affected, in fact the web page says:

"Parking lots designated for faculty/staff parking are reserved for vehicles registered to and driven by faculty and staff members from 7:30 a.m.–5 p.m. Faculty and staff parking spaces are available to any registered vehicle from 5 p.m. to 7:30 a.m. weekdays and all day on weekends.

Exception:
•Parking spaces on Westhampton Way and Keller Road are reserved for faculty, staff and registered visitor vehicles from 730am to 9pm daily.
•The reserved sections of lot W96, located adjacent to the Special Programs Building, is reserved 24 hours a day, seven days a week for police vehicles and staff"

Basketball games are not held at Weinstein Center during normal work hours...

I didn't mention Richmond I said Virginia but you got me curious so I looked up William & Mary a state school and they do charge an annual fee but its based on your gross income. Not to egregious but I do stand corrected on what I stated.

The whole point of this post is not if you or I think an extension is justified but what are the chances, I still say weak. The existing potential riders are not there as you think and extending this a few more miles through the shopping areas will not create a new surge of commuters.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:14 PM

CK, we needed a Peace Bridge replacement far more than we needed the useless Metro Rail to begin with and what happened? The bridge is a mere 94 years old and way too small for current conditions. The point of this is, nothing ever gets done in Buffalo of any magnitude.

https://www.peacebridge.com/index.ph...ign-to-change-

Old 01-03-2019, 06:16 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
CK, we needed a Peace Bridge replacement far more than we needed the useless Metro Rail to begin with and what happened? The bridge is a mere 94 years old and way too small for current conditions. The point of this is, nothing ever gets done in Buffalo of any magnitude.

https://www.peacebridge.com/index.ph...ign-to-change-
Keep in mind that it is an international bridge. So, where does Fort Erie, the province of Ontario, Canada or simply the joint/shared bridge authority come into play in terms of the bridge? Let alone other federal entities, NY State, Buffalo, etc.

Also, just as an example of NY State and another government(Vermont) working together on a new bridge, this bridge that crosses Lake Champlain is only a little over 7 years old: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_C...n_Bridge_(2011)

So, if that can happen, what is the hold up with the Peace Bridge?

Old 01-03-2019, 06:43 PM

3,575 posts, read 3,077,378 times
Quote:
You fail to see that there are also 10 bus lines that stop at University Station (UB South) and at least 9 other crosstown bus lines that intersect with the rail stations north of downtown. That does NOT include downtown lines that feed from the south and east sides. A car may be more convenient, but is not necessary in many, many areas.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
You fail to see that there are also 10 bus lines that stop at University Station (UB South) and at least 9 other crosstown bus lines that intersect with the rail stations north of downtown. That does NOT include downtown lines that feed from the south and east sides. A car may be more convenient, but is not necessary in many, many areas.
Have you ever taken an NFTA bus? I had to recently to pick up my car being repaired and it took forever. Most of the folks riding buses cannot afford a car. You NEED a car in Buffalo, plain and simple. I have a friend that has fallen on hard times and needs to take a bus and its a nightmare. Have you ever taken a load of groceries on a bus? We are not talking about a warm weather city. Waiting for a bus in the winter is not for the faint of heart or elderly or ill.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Have you ever taken an NFTA bus? I had to recently to pick up my car being repaired and it took forever. Most of the folks riding buses cannot afford a car. You NEED a car in Buffalo, plain and simple. I have a friend that has fallen on hard times and needs to take a bus and its a nightmare. Have you ever taken a load of groceries on a bus? We are not talking about a warm weather city. Waiting for a bus in the winter is not for the faint of heart or elderly or ill.
I took the bus hundreds of times over the years, but as I currently don't live in the city I only occasionally take the metro rail from the park and ride lot. I will be moving back into the city very soon, and will have easy access to the 5, 11, 23, and 25 buses which are all within 5-10 minute walk from the house.

I have a car, but I also have occasional vision difficulties and can't always drive. That is one of the reasons I am moving to the city, where I can walk to dozens, if not hundreds of businesses, along with having the option to take advantage of the bus and rail system. I have been "trapped" in a suburban subdivision before when I couldn't drive, and I don't ever want to be stuck in that position again.

If I need to carry groceries, I can still take a cheap Uber or now have it delivered. Community Centers in the city also have cheap van service to local grocery stores.

I haven't done it yet, but next summer I may try taking the 23 to the 40 Niagara Falls bus, just to try it out for a short visit to the Falls.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
I took the bus hundreds of times over the years, but as I currently don't live in the city I only occasionally take the metro rail from the park and ride lot. I will be moving back into the city very soon, and will have easy access to the 5, 11, 23, and 25 buses which are all within 5-10 minute walk from the house.

I have a car, but I also have occasional vision difficulties and can't always drive. That is one of the reasons I am moving to the city, where I can walk to dozens, if not hundreds of businesses, along with having the option to take advantage of the bus and rail system. I have been "trapped" in a suburban subdivision before when I couldn't drive, and I don't ever want to be stuck in that position again.

If I need to carry groceries, I can still take a cheap Uber or now have it delivered. Community Centers in the city also have cheap van service to local grocery stores.

I haven't done it yet, but next summer I may try taking the 23 to the 40 Niagara Falls bus, just to try it out for a short visit to the Falls.
I am curious, where in the city can you walk to hundreds of businesses? Elmwood, Hertel, Kenmore, North Buffalo? You have to agree that for seniors (like myself) its not easy to get around especially in the winter. I have fallen on the ice my share of times when I was younger, but now I might wind up in the hospital. City living is for the youngish and adventurous. My niece lives there with her husband and they are early 30's. The saddest part of Buffalo is the incessant destruction of the housing stock instead of rehabbing it.

https://www.buffalorising.com/2018/1...ge-demo-ready/

Old 01-03-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
I am curious, where in the city can you walk to hundreds of businesses? Elmwood, Hertel, Kenmore, North Buffalo? You have to agree that for seniors (like myself) its not easy to get around especially in the winter. I have fallen on the ice my share of times when I was younger, but now I might wind up in the hospital. City living is for the youngish and adventurous. My niece lives there with her husband and they are early 30's. The saddest part of Buffalo is the incessant destruction of the housing stock instead of rehabbing it.

https://www.buffalorising.com/2018/1...ge-demo-ready/
North Buffalo. I can easily walk along Hertel, Delaware, Kenmore, etc within a mile of the house. In winter it is a little more difficult at times, but unlike my younger days walking to school I don't have to do it every day. The neighborhood is full of people that walk every day, and there are a lot of neighbors rehabbing (as we are also), new houses being built along the former railroad right of way near Colvin, and new apartments along Tacoma and Hertel. Best part is Hanna's Frosty Treat is just down the block. Gonna need to walk more.

I don't understand why this is considered "adventurous" - it is a house on a street with a yard and a garage. Just not isolated miles away from walkable areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area