Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 11:10 AM

104 posts, read 134,180 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was recently contacted by a job recruiter who thought I would be a "good fit" for a position in Buffalo. I have since advanced to a third round of interviews. I may not get the job in the end but I've gotten far enough in the process that I need to give this even more thought than I already have. I could use some advice.

I started at the job I have now last summer and wasn't really looking for anything else. I've lived in the Albany area my whole life and never have given much thought to leaving, especially since my current job is just 3 miles from home both ways. But when a potential opportunity comes your way, you kind of owe it to yourself to go through the process.

I'm wondering what thoughts people might have on Albany vs Buffalo.... maybe someone else reading this even made the move themselves?

What's the cost of living in Buffalo? Average rent for a decent 1 bedroom apartment? You'll hear a lot of people in the Albany area complain about the cost of living (and often justifiably so).

The job is in what I would guess is the downtown Buffalo area. I would ideally want to live in a safe neighborhood close to work, if I get the job and take it. I'd prefer a commute under 20 minutes. I would want a grocery store nearby as well (Wegmans, Topps) and an apartment with either designated off street parking or garage/underground parking. On street parking is an automatic no. A smoke free building is another must. Does any neighborhood fit?

When I think about my situation, the pros and cons would be something like:

Pros:

Career advancement - I don't have the potential where I am to make the money I potentially could in Buffalo. We're talking a possible $20,000 to $25,000 bump. Mid 30s now to mid 50s to as much as low 60s. I'm not unhappy where I am now but there's not much room for financial growth. If I want to try to make a step up the career ladder, odds are against doing it locally. This would be the primary reason to go by far. Who's to say another chance like this would potentially ever come around again?

Way better sports scene (NHL, NFL teams, AAA baseball) - I'm a big sports fan and was recently in Buffalo (for the first time) for the Frozen Four. While I don't follow any of the Buffalo pro teams, being in a town with AAA baseball, the NHL and NFL would be a plus. Albany's sports scene pales in comparison.

Cons:

Away from all the people that are important to me. I would know nobody in Buffalo. I would be moving alone - no kids or significant other. I'm lucky that I've always been very close with my parents, who still live local as well. Maybe that's because I'm an only child.

Snow/Winter. The biggest drawback to the Albany area - by far, at least for me - is winter/snow. That would be magnified in Buffalo. I can handle the cold fine - it's shoveling and especially driving in snow and ice that bother me. And honestly, I'm a nervous wreck on snowy roads even after having my license for 16 years. Albany averages 60 inches of snow each year. Buffalo averages about 95. I would have an easier time possibly moving if I was going somewhere with less snow than Albany or no snow at all.

Last edited by metty85; 05-19-2019 at 11:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 12:09 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metty85 View Post
Hi,

I was recently contacted by a job recruiter who thought I would be a "good fit" for a position in Buffalo. I have since advanced to a third round of interviews. I may not get the job in the end but I've gotten far enough in the process that I need to give this even more thought than I already have. I could use some advice.

I started at the job I have now last summer and wasn't really looking for anything else. I've lived in the Albany area my whole life and never have given much thought to leaving, especially since my current job is just 3 miles from home both ways. But when a potential opportunity comes your way, you kind of owe it to yourself to go through the process.

I'm wondering what thoughts people might have on Albany vs Buffalo.... maybe someone else reading this even made the move themselves?

What's the cost of living in Buffalo? Average rent for a decent 1 bedroom apartment? You'll hear a lot of people in the Albany area complain about the cost of living (and often justifiably so).

The job is in what I would guess is the downtown Buffalo area. I would ideally want to live in a safe neighborhood close to work, if I get the job and take it. I'd prefer a commute under 20 minutes. I would want a grocery store nearby as well (Wegmans, Topps) and an apartment with either designated off street parking or garage/underground parking. On street parking is an automatic no. A smoke free building is another must. Does any neighborhood fit?

When I think about my situation, the pros and cons would be something like:

Pros:

Career advancement - I don't have the potential where I am to make the money I potentially could in Buffalo. We're talking a possible $20,000 to $25,000 bump. Mid 30s now to mid 50s to as much as low 60s. I'm not unhappy where I am now but there's not much room for financial growth. If I want to try to make a step up the career ladder, odds are against doing it locally. This would be the primary reason to go by far. Who's to say another chance like this would potentially ever come around again?

Way better sports scene (NHL, NFL teams, AAA baseball) - I'm a big sports fan and was recently in Buffalo (for the first time) for the Frozen Four. While I don't follow any of the Buffalo pro teams, being in a town with AAA baseball, the NHL and NFL would be a plus. Albany's sports scene pales in comparison.

Cons:

Away from all the people that are important to me. I would know nobody in Buffalo. I would be moving alone - no kids or significant other. I'm lucky that I've always been very close with my parents, who still live local as well. Maybe that's because I'm an only child.

Snow/Winter. The biggest drawback to the Albany area - by far, at least for me - is winter/snow. That would be magnified in Buffalo. I can handle the cold fine - it's shoveling and especially driving in snow and ice that bother me. And honestly, I'm a nervous wreck on snowy roads even after having my license for 16 years. Albany averages 60 inches of snow each year. Buffalo averages about 95. I would have an easier time possibly moving if I was going somewhere with less snow than Albany or no snow at all.
I guess I’ll answer a couple of aspects....

Buffalo has a lower overall cost of living. So, that is another thing to consider.

Another thing in regards to average snowfall is that for the Buffalo area, the further north, the lower the average snowfall is. So, that is another thing to consider.

Hopefully, someone will offer information specific to your situation and I hope it works out for you.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I guess I’ll answer a couple of aspects....

Buffalo has a lower overall cost of living. So, that is another thing to consider.

Another thing in regards to average snowfall is that for the Buffalo area, the further north, the lower the average snowfall is. So, that is another thing to consider.

Hopefully, someone will offer information specific to your situation and I hope it works out for you.
How further north? Do you have any areas in mind further north that's a short trip from the downtown Buffalo area? I wouldn't be looking for a long commute to the downtown area.... 20-30 minutes tops.

Old 05-19-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
How further north? Do you have any areas in mind further north that's a short trip from the downtown Buffalo area? I wouldn't be looking for a long commute to the downtown area.... 20-30 minutes tops.
This map gives you a good idea of what I am referring to: https://i2.wp.com/www.geofffox.com/w...12/snwseas.gif

Another just to give an idea over a period of time: https://advancelocal-adapter-image-u...1c4d867f73.jpg

So, even areas such as northern Tonawanda(Town), northern/NE Amherst, and southern Niagara County are somewhat of a happy medium between less snowfall on average and reasonable commute.

Again, I hope others will offer more specifics in regards to the overall original post.

Old 05-19-2019, 03:37 PM

5,688 posts, read 4,088,934 times
I'm surprised that they haven't grabbed you after 3 rounds of interviews. People haven't been moving to Buffalo and they are desperate for quality employees. You may have some leverage with the wage.

Old 05-19-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I'm surprised that they haven't grabbed you after 3 rounds of interviews. People haven't been moving to Buffalo and they are desperate for quality employees. You may have some leverage with the wage.
What's the issue with Buffalo - is it just a microcosm of New York as a whole? Not friendly for businesses, sky high property taxes, etc. Buffalo's winters probably don't help.

It isn't like people are flocking to the Albany area, either.

Old 05-19-2019, 04:41 PM

6,410 posts, read 4,905,721 times
Quote:
What's the issue with Buffalo - is it just a microcosm of New York as a whole? Not friendly for businesses, sky high property taxes, etc. Buffalo's winters probably don't help.

Albany is the Capital with lots of good paying State jobs. You find that in many state capitals. Upstate in general is an afterthought. NYC controls the state and has for the last century or so. NYC is a world class city, in spite of the government and upstate is upstate. Buffalo has the same population it had in 1890, Albany the same as 1900, same goes for Rochester, Syracuse, Utica etc. The area peaked 100 years ago and has been on a steady slow decline since.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:30 PM

821 posts, read 760,400 times
Quote:

Yep for the first question. Buffalo has been doing better in terms of keeping people around over the last decade, but still sluggish.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Yeah, if the difference in pay in the original post is true, I’d say go for it. Buffalo is a bigger and more affordable area than Albany, even though the latter has had steady growth.

OP, Buffalo is also in transition in terms of its workforce, as many older workers are starting to retire(same with other Upstate areas) and companies are looking to fill openings. Seriously, as I drive around Syracuse, I see “We’re Hiring”/“Now Hiring” signs all over the place. So, it may actually be a good time to go, as if you have the skills that translate to more potential options in the area, why not go if the opening is offered to you?

Proximity to a major city such as Toronto doesn’t hurt either.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-19-2019 at 06:57 PM..

Old 05-19-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Albany is the Capital with lots of good paying State jobs. You find that in many state capitals. Upstate in general is an afterthought. NYC controls the state and has for the last century or so. NYC is a world class city, in spite of the government and upstate is upstate. Buffalo has the same population it had in 1890, Albany the same as 1900, same goes for Rochester, Syracuse, Utica etc. The area peaked 100 years ago and has been on a steady slow decline since.
I’d say it peaked around 1950/1960, as that was when those cities were at their peak populations, before suburbanization, urban renewal and the lack of annexation(all of those cities have had the same city limits/land area for about a century) came into play, comparatively speaking.

Check out the land areas then and now: https://www.census.gov/population/ww...0027/tab15.txt
https://www.census.gov/population/ww...0027/tab16.txt

New York Land Area City Rank

Around peak years: https://www.census.gov/population/ww...0027/tab18.txt
https://www.census.gov/population/ww...0027/tab19.txt

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-19-2019 at 07:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area