Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2023, 08:53 PM

93,239 posts, read 123,876,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Because the community would not want them. They would argue, and rightly so, that they can't take care of what they have now so how will they take in a huge influx.

Why not Niagara Falls, Rochester, Syracuse and every other upstate city.
So, you’ve essentially answered the question and you would think there would be some input of some sort, when it involves concentrating said people into an area that is already needing resources in parts of that side of town.

Not sure of Niagara Falls, but Syracuse, Utica and I believe to a lesser degree Rochester, Binghamton and some other Upstate cities have taken in refugees for a while now. So, as mentioned in another thread, this isn’t anything new.

I’d argue that Syracuse’s inner North Side just north of Downtown is one of the most culturally diverse urban areas, along with the West Side of Buffalo, in Upstate NY due to refugee relocation. Some do live in other parts of the city as well. Utica is known for its Bosnian community, with many coming as refugees, among other groups. So, this again may be one of those things that people on here may not be as familiar with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2023, 04:51 AM

11,774 posts, read 5,787,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Why wouldn't you meet with the community you are planning to place these people in?

Also, the West Side of the city appears to have more of a presence of immigrants/refugees. So, what about that area of town, which would likely have the services they need to get on their feet?

Also, why just the city of Buffalo, considering a place like Niagara Falls is also at least 50% below its peak population?
Neither the residents of Cheektowaga or Amherst were able to voice their opinion on the immigrants being housed there so I don't understand why you are questioning the poster on whether they'd meet with the community?

I think the resulting response from the community would be no. People are fine with supporting the rights of others until it comes to their community. They don't want them in their backyard - be they half way houses, homeless or immigrants.

Old 09-01-2023, 04:56 AM

11,774 posts, read 5,787,833 times
Quote:
So, you’ve essentially answered the question and you would think there would be some input of some sort, when it involves concentrating said people into an area that is already needing resources in parts of that side of town.

Not sure of Niagara Falls, but Syracuse, Utica and I believe to a lesser degree Rochester, Binghamton and some other Upstate cities have taken in refugees for a while now. So, as mentioned in another thread, this isn’t anything new.

I’d argue that Syracuse’s inner North Side just north of Downtown is one of the most culturally diverse urban areas, along with the West Side of Buffalo, in Upstate NY due to refugee relocation. Some do live in other parts of the city as well. Utica is known for its Bosnian community, with many coming as refugees, among other groups. So, this again may be one of those things that people on here may not be as familiar with.
Most of these refugees taken in were helping the military as informants or interpreters so we knew their backgrounds. We just didn't take anyone without vetting them as we are doing now.

Old 09-01-2023, 05:39 AM

6,429 posts, read 3,137,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Neither the residents of Cheektowaga or Amherst were able to voice their opinion on the immigrants being housed there so I don't understand why you are questioning the poster on whether they'd meet with the community?

I think the resulting response from the community would be no. People are fine with supporting the rights of others until it comes to their community. They don't want them in their backyard - be they half way houses, homeless or immigrants.
Quote:
Most of these refugees taken in were helping the military as informants or interpreters so we knew their backgrounds. We just didn't take anyone without vetting them as we are doing now.
^^^^ This!

We in the Rochester area weren't consulted, either. The "supreme commander in Albany" decreed that we'll take illegal immigrants into our communities and like it..........

Old 09-01-2023, 07:37 AM

3,574 posts, read 3,074,173 times
This.

Old 09-01-2023, 07:49 AM

Quote:

That is where the hotel owners come in, as Colonie outside of Albany also had hotel owners take some asylum seekers in.

There was even a hotel owner from Long Island that was trying to get some to come to his hotel in Massena, which was struggling. I posted this a little while back. So, you have to look at private entities that are involved in this as well.

Old 09-01-2023, 08:21 AM

6,409 posts, read 4,905,721 times
Quote:
That is where the hotel owners come in, as Colonie outside of Albany also had hotel owners take some asylum seekers in.

There was even a hotel owner from Long Island that was trying to get some to come to his hotel in Massena, which was struggling. I posted this a little while back. So, you have to look at private entities that are involved in this as well.
The hotel owners care about revenue. Its up to the local government to regulate this

Old 09-01-2023, 08:41 AM

Quote:
The hotel owners care about revenue. Its up to the local government to regulate this
Exactly and they play a part in this is all I'm saying.

I'd say that various chains of government need to regulate the whole situation and needed to for a while.

Old 09-01-2023, 09:38 AM

6,409 posts, read 4,905,721 times
Quote:
Exactly and they play a part in this is all I'm saying.

I'd say that various chains of government need to regulate the whole situation and needed to for a while.
NYC can't regulate what is written into law as a right to shelter city. How do you propose that they regulate that?

Old 09-01-2023, 09:54 AM

Quote:
NYC can't regulate what is written into law as a right to shelter city. How do you propose that they regulate that?
Ask that in the NYC forum...That topic by the way was also mentioned in the politics thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area