Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you supporting of term limits in local government?
Yes! (no more than 2 four-year terms) 4 80.00%
No! (we should allow career politicians) 1 20.00%
not sure 0 0%
Please select this option if you are NOT a resident of Buffalo/Erie County, but would like to leave comment for or against. 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 08:44 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,214,396 times

Advertisements

Since the first time I heard this idea about 15 years ago, I wonder how well off the Buffalo/Erie County area would be if we hadn't had so many career politicians.

Would our City & County be under seperate control boards if we had a steadily changing election process?

What if all local offices (city/town councils) were set at a 4 year term, and any person can't serve more than two terms (8 years) for that particular seat, but has opportunity to run election for a "higher" office, serving the same time though?

Share your thoughts on term limits....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 01:40 PM

268 posts, read 1,050,203 times
My way of thinking is that elections are term limits.

The problem is not that there are career politicians, the problem is that there are too many uninvolved, unaware, non-participatory people/voters.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:59 PM

327 posts, read 939,535 times
Thumbs up CMA comes naturally

One term (4 years) for the elected official is good enough, however, she/he can be allowed to run again after the four years of separation.
My proposal is based on CMA -Comparative Market Analysis.

The better/higher competition we have, the better off our city, county, and country will be. Besides, competition for power is incouraging around the world. It's comes naturally.

Competition for power without restrictions/regulations becomes corrupted. Politicians can easy buy votes. It's a regular ritual for some.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwynn View Post
My way of thinking is that elections are term limits.

The problem is not that there are career politicians, the problem is that there are too many uninvolved, unaware, non-participatory people/voters.
As an involved, aware, participating voter, are you going to say the reason why things are the way they are is because of the way the individual person votes (even if we've voted against the career politicians)?

Old 06-21-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanna vaida View Post
One term (4 years) for the elected official is good enough, however, she/he can be allowed to run again after the four years of separation.
My proposal is based on CMA -Comparative Market Analysis.

The better/higher competition we have, the better off our city, county, and country will be. Besides, competition for power is incouraging around the world. It's comes naturally.

Competition for power without restrictions/regulations becomes corrupted. Politicians can easy buy votes. It's a regular ritual for some.
2 consecutive (4 year) terms work well, like a Presidency. A person has been 8 years to accomplish what's needed within their office. Having a limited time to put forth what's best, I believe, will prevent internal political cronism. (That being the "if you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" politicans) How many times have you been to a public meeting where a "we're working together" statement has been made?

My area has had 4 councilpersons within 5 years, due to a general election, a resignation, an appointed person & a "special election". While that seems like a lot (since City of Buffalo Common Council is now a 4 year term), the last three made bigger accomplishments in a shorter time than other individual council who were elected to (what used to be) 4 two-year terms.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:55 AM

Thumbs up presidential proposal

Sound like you agree to my proposal: -one 4 year and competition.
I also agree with the 2 presidential terms: Bush is doing fine with this one.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:54 PM

268 posts, read 1,050,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
As an involved, aware, participating voter, are you going to say the reason why things are the way they are is because of the way the individual person votes (even if we've voted against the career politicians)?
Individuals like us who are aware/involved are too few.

I don't know what it's like in your area but in mine, voter turn out is low, many vote for the candidate that they've met one time (not on what the candidate stands for), many are unaware of what the candidate stands for, and many are one issue voters. In the recent presidential primary, local elections were rolled in and the exit polls showed that many did not even vote for the local candidates. Many candidates retained their positions simply because they were the incumbent and nobody was running against them.

The way I see it - democracy requires active participation. If we have that, there would be no need for term limits, we would simply vote out the person whom we think is not doing a good job.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwynn View Post
Individuals like us who are aware/involved are too few.

I don't know what it's like in your area but in mine, voter turn out is low, many vote for the candidate that they've met one time (not on what the candidate stands for), many are unaware of what the candidate stands for, and many are one issue voters. In the recent presidential primary, local elections were rolled in and the exit polls showed that many did not even vote for the local candidates. Many candidates retained their positions simply because they were the incumbent and nobody was running against them.

The way I see it - democracy requires active participation. If we have that, there would be no need for term limits, we would simply vote out the person whom we think is not doing a good job.
I hear what you're saying. What could/should we do in trying to get a higher voter turn out at a local level (council/legislature)?

Old 06-23-2008, 09:19 AM

Default local leadership

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
I hear what you're saying. What could/should we do in trying to get a higher voter turn out at a local level (council/legislature)?
Become a public voice. Don't be affraid to express your viewpoints/opinions in public places. Watch for reaction and count supporters. Be a leader.
On a local level, start with a local issue and get support from neighbors, freinds and family members. Create a chain. Let them start talking about you and LOCAL issues. But first, become an issue expert. Do your homework: research as much as possible about the topic: what, when, where, who, why and how. Know the topic's history -who else was working on this issue before (try to answer the same questions/research). This way you became not only the issue/topic exprert; you'll become a consultant and concern citizen/activist.
Start with one issue one step at a time and with as many supporters as possible.
Think smart. Make a difference (if you want too). It's up to you -make a choice. In or out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area