Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 03:24 PM

603 posts, read 1,948,096 times

Advertisements

Hey i've been on these boards for awhile and am currently living in Suffolk county NY(Long Island).I absolutely hate this place with a passion and would love to move within three years.I've only been "upstate"ONCE!I went up for a weekend to Mayfield(Fulton County) and i can honestly say i've never believed there was any "country" places in NY until going upstate.I do not know much about Buffalo and have heard mixed things.The only things that really kept me from researching anywhere upstate is that i've always heard there has never been much of an economy up there and that taxes are just as high as LI.I wanted to get some opinions from people who live there to help me in my search.Im in search of some acreage.I want a little farmhouse with neighbors down the road,not right on top of me like i have here.I also want to be able to purchase a home for under $200K.I know there are a ton of homes in that price range but i worry about finding employment.I have been involved with animals all my life and would love to stay in the field.I don't mind rural but i also would like to be close to a hospital god forbid anything ever happen.

Is there any hope of finding a job after this recession is over and done with?
Are people friendlier up there then they are down here?(People are SO rude!)
Can i have "country living"?

I hope to get some advice.Thanks so much for taking the time to read this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 03:29 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,857,972 times
I think you would find ppl here extrememly nice and polite for the most part. You can get what you are asking if you dont mind a small drive, but as far as work, I am not sure what you exactly do? If you work for a vet, then yes I imagine you could find something - but the pay is going to be maybe 10-15 and hour? and I might be high ending it. Taxes for the most part are high, but in rural areas they are lower than others - each town is different

Old 02-25-2009, 04:40 PM

Thank you for replying...I currently work for The town of Islip Animal Shelter and i am in the union.I would LOVE to get another town job when i move.I do have experience working for animal hospitals so i could always go back to that.The top pay for my job here is $17 an hr.So if i moved somewhere making the same i'd be amazing.Do you have any info on what the average property taxes are in your area?Here the cheapest is probably around $4K and can go up to $30K for million $$ homes.I am currently paying $6500K for a small 2 bedroom 1 bath on 60X100 lot.Its a joke!

Old 02-25-2009, 07:17 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,819,190 times
You need to find the job first, figure where you'd want to live and commute and then what the job would let you buy. Some towns here are union, some not fro working in an animal shelter... the SPCA probably is not, the towns are. There are many, many places for someone who works with animals. You might consider working with large animals: horses, cows, etc. I know there are fewer vets for that now, according to my husband's cousin, a farmer. I imagine that there are also fewer people who want to go into the field.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:06 PM

414 posts, read 1,505,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcrazy View Post
Thank you for replying...I currently work for The town of Islip Animal Shelter and i am in the union.I would LOVE to get another town job when i move.I do have experience working for animal hospitals so i could always go back to that.The top pay for my job here is $17 an hr.So if i moved somewhere making the same i'd be amazing.Do you have any info on what the average property taxes are in your area?Here the cheapest is probably around $4K and can go up to $30K for million $$ homes.I am currently paying $6500K for a small 2 bedroom 1 bath on 60X100 lot.Its a joke!
Lord knows we could use some new humane animal shelter workers, 2 were in the news recently misbehaving. WNY is great, if you want it to be. Pack your optimism and come join the family

Old 02-28-2009, 01:15 PM

922 posts, read 3,862,230 times
Here is an "assessment" of the tax situation with regard to Upstate vs. Long Island. (pun fully intentional )

Long Island has some of the the highest property taxes in the country as a percentage of income, but Upstate, particularly the suburbs of the large Upstate cities, have the highest taxes as a percentage of home value.

On Long Island, you are paying insane amounts on property taxes, but the real estate itself is inherently far more valuable and will provide greater long term appreciation than a home Upstate. Buying property Upstate is far more affordable, and you will get much more home for your money, but you'll find that a third of your monthly mortgage payment is going into escrow to pay taxes, not into equity, and the value of your home will not increase very much over the years. So there are pluses and minuses in each situation.

Here is an interesting survey of property tax burdens on a county-by-county basis:

Table: Who Pays America's Highest Property Taxes? - Forbes.com

Municipal union jobs are very desirable and highly sought-after, due to the scarcity of good-paying private-sector employment. For the most part, non-union, non-civil service positions are reserved for political appointees who have connections to those in office, but hopefully your experience can help you get in the door.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:02 PM

10 posts, read 35,957 times
I just wanted to add that I currently live in the "country", about 60 miles outside of Buffalo, even though I will be moving A LOT closer to the city in the next couple months. I love it out here. I live on a road where I am the only permanent residence, I am surrounded by fields and there is an Amish community all around me. I live an hour outside of Buffalo, an hour from Rochester, an Hour from Olean. But alas, this is my mothers house. Getting a house out here would definitely save on taxes though. My mom pays around $150.00 a month. Yes, you read that right, $150.00. Of course, she paid next to nothing for this house over 30 years ago and has put in tons of updates, but still.

I can't say enough good things about this side of the state.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:57 AM

$150 for just taxes?That sounds like my dream setting!She must love it there,so peaceful.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:41 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,857,972 times
Quote:

there is no "average" it really can vary depending on the town or suburb you live in. I think it would be pretty safe to assume if you are paying 6500 a year in taxes for a small 2 bedroom, you're taxes would go down here - unless you purchased a large home in east amherst ..... even ppl here with a 2500 sq foot home on average do not pay 6500 a year in taxes in most parts..

Old 03-03-2009, 01:08 PM

10 posts, read 35,957 times
Quote:
$150 for just taxes?That sounds like my dream setting!She must love it there,so peaceful.

Yup, but then again,she only paid 29,000 for this place a little over 30 years ago. She's had to put tons of work into it. Now that all her kids are moving out, she finally decorating, lol. As for the setting, it's really nice to be able to just walk down the road, go horseback riding, all that fun stuff. When I buy a permanent home, this is definitely the area I want to come back to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area