Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2012, 09:14 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,870,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I still fail to see how any part of upstate is midwestern aside from MINOR traits. After traveling the great lakes and parts of the midwest for work, we are nothing like them culturally.
Upper Midwestern/Great Lakes as in Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland. Not Kansas City, Indianapolis, Omaha, DesMoines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 09:17 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,720,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
Upper Midwestern/Great Lakes as in Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland. Not Kansas City, Indianapolis, Omaha, DesMoines.
I still see a large difference culturally. Cleveland is most similar but many people claim that Cleveland has some northeastern traits.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I still see a large difference culturally. Cleveland is most similar but many people claim that Cleveland has some northeastern traits.
Well I can tell you with complete certainty that Buffalo is nothing like Boston, NYC, Philly or D.C. in pace or in culture.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Well I can tell you with complete certainty that Buffalo is nothing like Boston, NYC, Philly or D.C. in pace or in culture.
No but there is much more to the northeast than those cities. The northeast is not culturally the same in any one area. Buffalo is most similar to places like Rochester, Syracuse and Albany. It has just as much in common with a place like NYC as it does with a place like Milwaukee, which isn't much.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Buffalo is most similar to places like Rochester, Syracuse and Albany. It has just as much in common with a place like NYC as it does with a place like Milwaukee, which isn't much.
The first part I agree with completely. The only thing Buffalo shares with NYC is a sarcastic sense of humor . The accent, ethnic make-up, architecture, pace, climate, traffic, cost of living are totally different. Buffalo does have a large number of NYC transplants so that does influence Buffalo's culture somewhat.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:03 AM

What is Buffalo's ethnic makeup? From what I can tell, a lot of poles?
I'm in Rochester and one of the big things that makes it more in line with northeastern cities is the ethnic demographics with a high percentage of Puerto Ricans and Italians.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
What is Buffalo's ethnic makeup? From what I can tell, a lot of poles?
I'm in Rochester and one of the big things that makes it more in line with northeastern cities is the ethnic demographics with a high percentage of Puerto Ricans and Italians.
Yes, the high % of Italians and PR's does set Upstate NY cities apart from the Midwest, good example.

However the % of Poles in Buffalo is very mid-western (Chicago, Milwaukee)

Just ask yourself though, when you are driving on the Thruway near Batavia does the landscape look more like Ohio or coastal Connecticut?

I agree that upstate NY is certainly a mix of several different cultural regions, it just feels like the mid-west is the dominent influence particularly in Western New York (almost unknowingly to its residents) I thought that Western New York was completely Northeastern when I lived there.

Last edited by Port North; 01-06-2012 at 11:13 AM..

Old 01-06-2012, 11:22 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,546,642 times
To me Buffalo is more like Cleveland & Pittsburgh than it is any other city (Northeastern or Midwestern) ..... but its still even different from them due to the strong Southern Ontario influence.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:35 AM

36 posts, read 103,865 times
I'm going to throw my vote in that Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse kind of make up their own little region that I haven't found to be like others. I don't see the influence of NYC, Ontario, the Midwest, Boston, etc. It's kind of its own little area. I mean everywhere will be "influenced" by other areas, yeah, but not enough that I'd call them related.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Yes, the high % of Italians and PR's does set Upstate NY cities apart from the Midwest, good example.

However the % of Poles in Buffalo is very mid-western (Chicago, Milwaukee)

Just ask yourself though, when you are driving on the Thruway near Batavia does the landscape look more like Ohio or coastal Connecticut?

I agree that upstate NY is certainly a mix of several different cultural regions, it just feels like the mid-west is the dominent influence particularly in Western New York (almost unknowingly to its residents) I thought that Western New York was completely Northeastern when I lived there.
Maybe it's different in Buffalo and I haven't noticed. In Rochester I don't see any influence. The eastern area of the Rochester region reminds me more of new england suburbs and I haven't really seen that in Buffalo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area