Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 10:47 PM

3 posts, read 6,046 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Me and my wife are moving from the west coast to Buffalo in early summer of 2009. We're looking for a quiet and safe country setting. We're looking for woods with few neightbors (we're the artist type) just outside of the city limits. We are specifically looking for country settings, and not city.

Here is the twist: we both sometimes attend University for various reasons, and we both need internet access. We'd also like information on any good private schools.

Any ideas on where to look?

As a side note, I posted similar in the Syracuse forum since we're undecided on which city to go to. Many have asked why we're migrating from West to East, so let me say in passing that it has to do with the need to be near older family who are back east in NY and a few places above and below, and aslo to be near Canada (Ontario and occasionally Quebec)

If its worth noting, we're a mixed couple--she's Asian and I'm German/Italian.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 04:23 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,855,478 times
ok hmmm I am thinking akron, clarence or alden perhaps? They are all within 30 minutes tops from University of Buffalo, maybe even closer? Are you buying or renting? If you rent, it's not as easy to get the amount of land that you mention. Welcome to Buffalo!!!! As a person that thinks California is nice, I am sure that you will enjoy the extra time that you will have as commuting is relatively short compared to where you are coming from......

Old 03-09-2009, 09:25 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,996,709 times
I had rented in Alden for a couple years when I was in the Buffalo area. It is very quiet and very safe. The kind of area where you didn't feel like you had to lock anything. (not that you shouldn't )

If you look in Alden there are a couple places to look out for. If you are within a couple miles of Lancaster Speedway, you WILL hear the dragsters from spring to fall, so keep that in mind. There are two state prisons on Walden ave, you will should be safe, however you may not want to live near one. Wilson Greatbatch is a large employer based in Buffalo and there is a large facility in Alden as well.

Rt 20 has a Tops, RadioShack, hardware store, drug store etc. Expect to have well water and septic systems in most of the areas.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:40 AM

185 posts, read 418,260 times
Gowanda isnt too bad

Old 03-09-2009, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,128 times
Default leaving home

hey im 18 years of age and i plan on leaving my mother house before i graduate. i was wondering if i do that will the police arrest me and make me go back home because i am still in school or will they tell her im 18 years of age and there is nothing that she can do about it. i really want to leave because she is too controlling and i just dont understand i am a really good kid..;;.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:02 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,996,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmie21 View Post
hey im 18 years of age and i plan on leaving my mother house before i graduate. i was wondering if i do that will the police arrest me and make me go back home because i am still in school or will they tell her im 18 years of age and there is nothing that she can do about it. i really want to leave because she is too controlling and i just dont understand i am a really good kid..;;.
I would live with your mother until you graduate from college. Its a free ride and only a few extra years of your life.

Lets say you goto a community college and graduate at 22. Lets say college costs $2500 a semester. Four semesters = 2 year degree = $10,000.

A gut bucket apartment at $400 a month, not including utilities, food, transportation. $400 a month = $4800 a year. After you turn 22, you will have paid $19,200. Thats JUST rent nothing else.

If you put up with your parents you could have saved almost $10,000 and have a degree in your hand. (as long as you study). Financially that two year degree will earn you more than anything else you will invest in.

Just my two cents.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmie21 View Post

consult an attorney but, I think if you are of sound mind and body and 18 you can do whatever you want. If you chose to leave and you have no where to go, dont expect her to take you back though - you're 18, she doesnt have to.

be sure to have 3 months of rent with you, because most good landlords will want first and last months rent along with a security deposit. Then you need to make sure you can pay to have your electric and gas turned on. If you want a landline phone, you also need a deposit or credit card to do that and I imagine you want internet services - so all in all about 5k should cover you your first month out on your own.

You'll need a few things if you want a tv, a bed or futon, a stove and fridge, if the apt doesnt come with one - if you buy them used, have money to rent a truck to haul it and if you go somewhere where you dont know anyone, you will need to hire someone to do that, b/c they are heavy.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!

Old 03-09-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonetoelpaso View Post
Gowanda isnt too bad

too far from university though, I was thinking?

Old 03-09-2009, 11:31 AM

504 posts, read 1,492,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
Also really far from the city limits, and Canada.

I agree Akron, Clarance and Alden are good choices (although Akron and Alden are pretty far out). I'd add the area between Lockport and Amherst although that may get more and more developed over the next few years.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:45 PM

185 posts, read 418,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
either way no matter where you live in wny homes are alot more affordable, and better than anything in California

Last edited by gonetoelpaso; 03-09-2009 at 03:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area