Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 01:48 PM

33 posts, read 68,689 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm a 25-year old male getting ready to move to Buffalo. Just got out of the navy and took an air traffic control job with the gov at Buffalo intl airport. I'm single and I'm coming from Philadelphia, PA. I'm used to being very social and having people around me all the time. What is the younger scene like? Obviously I will be going out but I'm not a HUGE club party type of guy. I mostly enjoy a loung where I can be social and have a drink. What is the nightlife like? How about Sports? Any intermural leagues going on? How is the crime? I would like to hear what I can expect being a young, single male in the city of Buffalo coming from Philly.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 05:40 PM

205 posts, read 479,495 times
Where do you plan on living? If you are looking to go out I would try Elmwood, Allen, or Hertel and attempt to place myself somewhere along there.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:26 PM

414 posts, read 1,505,630 times
We have a huge diverse night life and social scene, everything from big clubs, sports bars and seedy rock clubs (and as a bonus they stay open until 4am). It isn't hard to dial in, most Buffalonians are very friendly. Good luck. If you posted what youre interests are we can help you better.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:45 AM

33 posts, read 68,689 times
Thanks for all the responses guys.. I'm really into the bar scene, not too big on night clubs. I have a job at the airport (air traffic control) so that's not an issue at all.. I just hope people in Buffalo are down to earth and approachable.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:20 PM

39 posts, read 143,508 times
I would not expect too much in Buffalo compared to Philadelphia. Its a much smaller city, less crowded, less things to do and a smaller choice of bars / restaurants.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:11 AM

4 posts, read 8,669 times
Really i agree with ah0741,Buffalo is a very silent area where you can hardly enjoy.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:38 AM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Really? Buffalobarfly - Buffalo's Source for nightlife & entertainment

Buffalo NY Night Clubs Dance Clubs Nightlife Entertainment Buffalo New York Luxury Bars Hot Spots

Night Life

Then, you have the nightlife on the Canadian side to enjoy too.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:54 AM

414 posts, read 1,505,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah0741 View Post
I would not expect too much in Buffalo compared to Philadelphia. Its a much smaller city, less crowded, less things to do and a smaller choice of bars / restaurants.
this is a ridiculous statement. There are an overwhelming amount of things to do and bars to frequent

Old 02-17-2010, 11:32 AM

2 posts, read 4,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephajain View Post
Really i agree with ah0741,Buffalo is a very silent area where you can hardly enjoy.
Haha, I'm sorry is that English? Buffalo is a great place for young professionals... the only reason there aren't more is because of the lack of employment opportunities but you obviously won't have that problem. For things to do I would recommend checking out buffalorising.com periodically, since they always have updates on festivals, new restaurants/bars, random events.

I've been a student at UB for the past 4 years and the city has definitely grown on me. I have an internship downtown and on my lunch break I often find myself just exploring the city. There's so much more life and activity downtown than say 10 years ago. There are also a lot of residential conversion projects underway, which will bring even more people and foot traffic to the downtown core and hopefully retail will follow. Good luck and I hope you enjoy Buffalo!

Old 02-17-2010, 01:50 PM

231 posts, read 849,531 times
Went to school at UB in the late 90's, and still drive over from Roch. to visit friends on GI (grand island).. If you like bars and hanging out at night you'll definitely enjoy Buff. Being 25 you'll find the girls like to have as much fun as the guys.. Atleast thats how it was back in the day.. Never saw so many girls keep up with the guys!

Weather still sucks though..Harsher than Philly..That part is tough to get over

BTW I'm a commercial pilot, flown into Buff. more times than I can count. But switched to corporate side so rarely get there if ever anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area