Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 06:53 AM

450 posts, read 1,059,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laloesch View Post
ckhthankgod. Thanks for your comments. Are you from Buffalo? I'm from Cincinnati, Ohio and Buffalo reminds me of Cleveland.
To folks in the area, is it really necessary to have a 4 wheel drive suv. I hear Buffalo keeps there roads pretty clean in the winter.
My fiance is absolutely convinced that we have to go out and buy a Trailblazer this year for the winter months, when we make the move. She's from St. Catharines, Ontario and I keep telling her its no big deal if we wait a while to buy another vehicle.
Why in the world would you leave Cincinnati for Buffalo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 12:03 PM

93,212 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnyer View Post
Why in the world would you leave Cincinnati for Buffalo?
Why not?

Old 05-16-2010, 07:00 PM

504 posts, read 1,492,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donbuy View Post
Seems like it would be very useful if you are moving into the geographic center of a zip code. Of coulse you could enter two adjacent zip codes to get a better feel for the overall neighborhood.
Nope. Zip code demographics give a warped sense of the way the city ticks. 14201 is a case in point, since it straddles an upscale and a basically destitute neighborhood. If you want to learn about the city, you need to look at neighborhoods; those are the boundaries that matter.

Sorry to revive this old debate, but I just couldn't let you get the last word in. I've repped you in other threads, so please don't take it personally.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:29 AM

744 posts, read 1,767,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrows View Post
Sorry to revive this old debate, but I just couldn't let you get the last word in. .
No problem. Onnnno now I stole your last word. please post something so you can get it back!

Old 05-21-2010, 04:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,413 times
Just a quick question on the "young cousin" who's bored to tears in Lewiston. How young? This probably isn't the greatest place for those 20-25, but if you're closer to 30 or older, it's damn near perfect. Free concerts, a great summer schedule of events, a number of different restaurant choices and a solid strip of places to get a drink. If you want to stay out until 3 a.m., this isn't the right town. If you're looking for a happy hour with a band on a patio and VERY little trouble within the village limits, this is the place. It seems like every single night from April until October there's something going on.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:43 AM

504 posts, read 1,492,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zambonibro View Post
Just a quick question on the "young cousin" who's bored to tears in Lewiston. How young? This probably isn't the greatest place for those 20-25, but if you're closer to 30 or older, it's damn near perfect. Free concerts, a great summer schedule of events, a number of different restaurant choices and a solid strip of places to get a drink. If you want to stay out until 3 a.m., this isn't the right town. If you're looking for a happy hour with a band on a patio and VERY little trouble within the village limits, this is the place. It seems like every single night from April until October there's something going on.
I don't really disagree with your post, and I think Lewiston is a nice town. I just worry that young people relocating to the Buffalo area decide to live in a place like Lewiston out of, say, concerns about "safety," when they'd really be happier in the city of Buffalo. My cousin was advised by her family not to live in Buffalo for that reason (I didn't offer my two cents). She's 22 by the way. Like most twenty-somethings would be, she's bored in Lewiston. Sure, free concerts at Artpark can be a good time, but the acts they book are almost always geared towards aging baby boomers. Ditto the bars, from my limited exposure. It's not just about staying out until 3; young people want to go out in a place where there's a critical mass of other young people with similar, current music tastes, and where there's many bars to choose from. If you live in Buffalo, you might be within walking distance of 30 bars. If you're willing to travel the short distance between University Heights, Hertel Ave, the Elmwood Strip, Allentown, the Theater District, Chippewa and downtown, that number is more like 60. How many bars are in Lewiston, 3 or 4? Again, not trying to put Lewiston down, but I agree it's more suitable for people who are a bit older, who have kids, are looking for a quieter place to settle down, etc.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:13 AM

2 posts, read 4,413 times
Points well taken. I moved to Lewiston from Elmwood Village and was really happy with both (the wife wanted something a little safer for the kids). I had very few problems in Elmwood Village and loved my time there. If you're under 30, that's the place to be in the city. Lots of fun things to do (I was partial to Betty's for breakfast, Left Bank for dinner and Frizzy's or Hardware for cocktails, but nothing beats Cozumel on a sunny day). IF YOU'RE OVER 30, though, Lewiston is really perfect. A little cleaner. A little safer. And yes, much smaller. Where Clarence and Orchard Park are nice, I really think this is the best combination — blocks from a gorgeous waterfront, a few miles from Lake Ontario, a decent mix of restaurants (not a glut, but just about everything's covered) and plenty of activity all summer long. Enjoy college in the city, get that first job and live it up a little, then buy the house down the street from me. Jeez, can the Chamber of Commerce cut me a check for this?

Last edited by zambonibro; 05-23-2010 at 08:32 AM..

Old 05-25-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambonibro View Post
Points well taken. I moved to Lewiston from Elmwood Village and was really happy with both (the wife wanted something a little safer for the kids). I had very few problems in Elmwood Village and loved my time there. If you're under 30, that's the place to be in the city. Lots of fun things to do (I was partial to Betty's for breakfast, Left Bank for dinner and Frizzy's or Hardware for cocktails, but nothing beats Cozumel on a sunny day). IF YOU'RE OVER 30, though, Lewiston is really perfect. A little cleaner. A little safer. And yes, much smaller. Where Clarence and Orchard Park are nice, I really think this is the best combination — blocks from a gorgeous waterfront, a few miles from Lake Ontario, a decent mix of restaurants (not a glut, but just about everything's covered) and plenty of activity all summer long. Enjoy college in the city, get that first job and live it up a little, then buy the house down the street from me. Jeez, can the Chamber of Commerce cut me a check for this?
Hey, just let them know: Chamber of Commerce - Lewiston NY, Youngstown NY, Porter, Ransomville, & Sanborn ..::.. Lower Niagara River Region Chamber of Commerce lol

Old 05-25-2010, 11:29 AM

Is Lewiston the only other town that offers this mix in a smaller community in the Buffalo area? Would Kenmore be similar in this respect?

Old 05-26-2010, 01:02 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,997,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is Lewiston the only other town that offers this mix in a smaller community in the Buffalo area? Would Kenmore be similar in this respect?
Lewiston is Buffalos Pittsford. One of the more uppity parts of the Buffalo area. Some of this is my opinion. It is a small town, a few shops in the center, but not a real downtown. The town is very clean, very well upkept and can be pricey in terms of the Buffalo area. You will be close to the water.

You will have a short commute to Canada, other than the border wait. Driving shouldn't be bad, open roads to one side and the parkway to the other.

Don't expect too much of a night life, Clifton hill may be a good alternative for you. With that, I have met some snobby people there, but you take the good with the bad.

Youngstown is a little further north, but it may be a good choice as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area