Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 01:04 PM

122 posts, read 352,468 times

Advertisements

We are still looking to move from the D.C. region back to Western NY and still have not found a job!! For those of you who moved away from Buffalo and then sought to move back, how long did it take for you to find your job? I had spoken to a friend who said it took him 2 years!!! (he is a police officer). Well, I am starting to feel like Buffalo is a one way exit and once you leave there is no coming back!

For the "don't move back to Buffalo" responders. The reasons: It took me one hour to drive home from a Target that is only 15 or 20 minutes away but thanks to the horrible traffic in DC it took an hour. not fun with a 4 month old baby in the car hungry. Summers here are hot and muggy. Forget about jogging outside unless you don't mind receiving IV fluids for dehydration. Nothing against lawyers, but you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one. My neighbors all lawyers, friends all lawyers. some diversity please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 01:51 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,546,413 times
I guess it really depends on what you do. We were living in Northern NY for a few years & decided we couldn't take the isolation anymore so we decided we would move as soon as one of us found a job worth moving for. We concentrated our search on Baltimore (where I am originally from), Philly, Rochester & Buffalo. We started applying for jobs over the internet right away & within a few weeks my wife had received several responses, came to Buffalo (actually Amherst) for an interview was was offered the first (and only) job she interviewed for. After we lived here for about 6 months she was offered a position for more $$ with another company. I had a job within the first few weeks of moving here. She works in the medical field & I am in management.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:50 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,857,738 times
What do you do for a living? When I moved back I had a job within a month or two - funny thing is that I had to go back to the place I moved from for training lol .

So what's your skills like?

Old 05-18-2010, 05:29 PM

Well, it sounds like you all have had great success in finding a job in Buffalo, that is awesome. Do you think it was easier to find a job because you were physically there? We are looking remotely. My husband is in finance he is not an accountant but more like corporate finance with a private equity background. I am currently staying home with baby.

Also: what job search engines did you use? We look at hotjobs, monster, careerbuilder and indeed. Is there something that has better selection for the Buffalo region.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:00 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,052,832 times
This might help: Central New York Jobs

Also, try websites for banks like M&T, First Niagara and HSBC.

You could also search Buffalo area job search websites too.

I believe that there is a NY job bank website that spun off of the former America's Job Bank website too.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:24 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,546,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennySzymanski View Post
Well, it sounds like you all have had great success in finding a job in Buffalo, that is awesome. Do you think it was easier to find a job because you were physically there? We are looking remotely. My husband is in finance he is not an accountant but more like corporate finance with a private equity background. I am currently staying home with baby.

Also: what job search engines did you use? We look at hotjobs, monster, careerbuilder and indeed. Is there something that has better selection for the Buffalo region.
My wife found her job before we lived here but that may be because people in medical fields are in pretty high demand. her company paid for our relocation + gave her a nice sign on bonus.

My experience was quite different. It was almost as if employers didn't take me seriously when I told them I was moving here. Much easier to find a job once I was actually living here.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:39 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,999,637 times
Much will depend on your profession. I ended up moving to Rochester because of a firm job offer. It is close enough, and you can continue looking while you are up here. How are you looking? Many companies only use their own websites, rather than Monster or Yahoo jobs.

Also, talk the company into paying for moving expenses. If for some reason they won't pay, you can claim them on your NYS taxes, keep your receipts.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:17 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,857,738 times
Quote:

Yes, I had already relocated here jobless when I found my job.

Back then in 1990 or so, no one had home computers, so I just made some phone calls and looked in the paper.

I am very marketable though - my background at that time was in Restaurant management and then retail management (upper end, and multi units) - so my goal was to find a company just coming into the area, because they tend to pay more or at least at that time they did to an outsider coming in.

Has he gone directly to company websites? just thinking out loud.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:00 PM

Thanks for your help! I am wondering if I tried to first find a job then once we are here have him look, but that is dicey if he is unemployed and I have to support us. I work in healthcare. His dream job would be working at Moog by the way.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:19 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,999,637 times
Quote:
Thanks for your help! I am wondering if I tried to first find a job then once we are here have him look, but that is dicey if he is unemployed and I have to support us. I work in healthcare. His dream job would be working at Moog by the way.
There are other aerospace companies in the Buffalo area, Calspan for example. Buffalo, at one point in time, had a large number of areospace companies in the area. He may have a profession that could branch to a different industry as well. Buffalo is still tough, like I said, I would look at western NY in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area