Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2008, 08:38 AM

1 posts, read 4,013 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of moving to the Burlington Area of Vermont. We currently live in the North Shore area of Massachusetts which has a HUGE Portuguese community. My husband is from Portugal and was hoping that there would be people that he would be able to talk to when we move there. Does anyone know if there is any sort of Portuguese community in or around Burlington? Any help would be a big help!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 09:36 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
I don't think there are many Portugese folks here. Sorry. I have family near Gloucester and stock up on Anadama (sp?) bread when I'm down there as I can't find it here (unless I'm looking in the wrong places!).

Old 08-06-2008, 10:01 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin B View Post
My husband and I are thinking of moving to the Burlington Area of Vermont. We currently live in the North Shore area of Massachusetts which has a HUGE Portuguese community. My husband is from Portugal and was hoping that there would be people that he would be able to talk to when we move there. Does anyone know if there is any sort of Portuguese community in or around Burlington? Any help would be a big help!!
I imagine there are a few, but I've never met any.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:37 PM

102 posts, read 313,175 times
I am sure there are a few "transplants" from the Mass area, but no large population that I know of. My Uncle Joe was Portugese and from that area. What a neat guy he was !

Old 11-07-2008, 01:07 PM

3 posts, read 11,275 times
I don't know how big the overall population is, but there are some Brazilians who are frequent library patrons. In fact, the library is looking into adding a Portuguese collection and would ideallly be able to get input from the community of Portuguese speakers. I'd love to connect with anyone who's interested. in helping out.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:25 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,785,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher Free Library View Post
I don't know how big the overall population is, but there are some Brazilians who are frequent library patrons. In fact, the library is looking into adding a Portuguese collection and would ideallly be able to get input from the community of Portuguese speakers. I'd love to connect with anyone who's interested. in helping out.
Welcome aboard, Fletcher Free Library!

As has been mentioned, there's a significant Brazilian community here. And many many people who have moved here from MA. But I haven't met anybody from Portugal myself...

Old 11-07-2008, 11:03 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,508 times
I wish there was a Portuguese population in the Burlington area. One of the things I miss most about leaving the state of CT was no more Portuguese rolls from the Portuguese bakery(outside of the great italian stores).

Old 11-13-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
Welcome aboard, Fletcher Free Library!

As has been mentioned, there's a significant Brazilian community here. And many many people who have moved here from MA. But I haven't met anybody from Portugal myself...
Do you know if there's any exisiting Brazilian community organization and/or who might be a good contact to work with for input/advice on developing a Portuguese collection?

Old 11-14-2008, 06:02 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,187,384 times
My brother in-law's wife is from Brazil and they are both farmers in Addison County. We'll be heading up that way for Thanksgiving and I'll ask her. One consideration with respect to the Portuguese language is that the dialect spoken in Brasil is somewhat removed from that which is spoken in Portugal. Perhaps even more so than the difference between Quebec French and France French

Sean

Old 11-14-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
My brother in-law's wife is from Brazil and they are both farmers in Addison County. We'll be heading up that way for Thanksgiving and I'll ask her. One consideration with respect to the Portuguese language is that the dialect spoken in Brasil is somewhat removed from that which is spoken in Portugal. Perhaps even more so than the difference between Quebec French and France French

Sean
Thanks Sean! I'm getting the impression there are more Portuguese speakers in the area from Brazil than Portual so I'll be sure to focus more on finding Brazilian literature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT