Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 03:32 PM

35 posts, read 155,731 times

Advertisements

Seriously, what a joke. What am I supposed to do, park in Moderator cut: language Shelburne? Chittenden county needs to grow up. It's heavily congested because this is the most populous area in the state and every time someone breaks ground for a new business or opens new stores, zoners take a hall pass on improving the accessibility from one place to another. We can't save all of the streams, rivers and waterways just because they interfere with roadwork.

We can't continue to thrive as a green place when we are idling in traffic, and if you're a college student all snug in your UVM abode reading this, get real, make a trip out to Shelburne road or Essex rd/Rte 2A at 5pm on a weekday. Just never mind making the trip out on a holiday, i already took care of that one, today.

And, also! ... the hippies in Burlington. Ugh.

Last edited by vter; 09-01-2014 at 03:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 04:01 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
Forum addresses Burlington parking problems - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Did you try the lot between Macy's & Hotel Vermont? That is where I head and always find a spot. But then again I don't head down there when I know its going to be busy.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:04 PM

221 posts, read 346,294 times
The problem with that lot is those who got used to it being free for a couple hours now have to pay and it is hard to change habits. Myself, I drive almost all day almost every day and can't say I've ever had to look for parking for an hour...normally 5 mins max and even that I find ridiculous and annoys me, can't imagine what an hour would do to my nerves.

Essex especially around 5 corners pretty much all day long is not tolerable.

Shelburne road around 5pm is my own personal nightmare.

Main st. in Burlington is pretty bad all day long, too.

The Hippies....yeah what can you do lol

Old 10-04-2014, 08:15 PM

238 posts, read 326,861 times
The traffic problem around Burlington area is because of the Vermont driving, not the congestion.

When the first vehicle at a red light takes 10 seconds to start moving, and then the second or third takes another 5-10 seconds ( andnobody beeps!) then you end up with 3-4 cars getting through each light cycle.

Between the texters, the daydreamers, the stoners, and those who are just in no big hurry to go anywhere or DO anything.....Getting from Point A to Point B anywhere in the area is a Royal Pain in the @ss.

The Burlington area is not the place to be if you need to move around with a purpose in life.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:43 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,143,090 times
Anyone else think this hour was really ten minutes?

Old 10-06-2014, 08:37 PM

221 posts, read 346,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
lol. more than likely. An hour sounds really unreasonable, unless you'll settle for nothing less than a spot for a trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydew View Post
The traffic problem around Burlington area is because of the Vermont driving, not the congestion.

When the first vehicle at a red light takes 10 seconds to start moving, and then the second or third takes another 5-10 seconds ( andnobody beeps!) then you end up with 3-4 cars getting through each light cycle.

Between the texters, the daydreamers, the stoners, and those who are just in no big hurry to go anywhere or DO anything.....Getting from Point A to Point B anywhere in the area is a Royal Pain in the @ss.

The Burlington area is not the place to be if you need to move around with a purpose in life.

While there is alot of truth to that, and I myself hate it when I'm in a hurry and people take their sweet ass time to move their ass, I highly doubt that is the sole reason for the traffic problems. It's a small area, but yet with alot of cars, cause alot of them are not local(tourists and such), the roads are pretty narrow and that adds to the congestion.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:13 PM

43 posts, read 67,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Haha, thought the same thing. I've had to drive around for 10 mins a couple of times to find parking downtown, but its really not that bad.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:41 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times
Drove around for an hour? lolz

Yeah, its all about cars, all about you and your car

I know, bizarre, krazy, foreign abstract theory, but did you ever think about
parking your car and walking a little

Didn't think so

Old 11-05-2014, 02:22 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,640 times
I listened to an AM talk show this past week that discussed the parking situation in Burlington. Kelly Devine, executive director of the Burlington Business Association structured the proposal that the city will adopt. The feeling is the city does not charge enough for parking, so the rates are going to go up. The theory behind this is people park their cars and rate are affordable enough they remain there for the day or for very long periods of time. By increasing rates, people will park for shorter periods of time allowing more parking. The parking occupancy rate in Burlington is near 100% while the national average is about 80%. They are not sure it will work as planned and they say they are open to other ideas if it doesn't.
I feel your pain with the downtown area. Parking stinks, some people are downright rude and pedestrians just walk out into the road expecting you to stop despite the traffic lights. It could burn down and I wouldn't care one bit. I live about 5-10 minutes from downtown and can't tell you the last time I tortured myself going there. It's easier and quicker to drive to Williston or South Burlington to shop. I don't even do that much anymore. With my Amazon prime membership I get products in 2 days with free shipping, a far cheaper price and I don't have to leave my house.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:13 PM

167 posts, read 247,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydew View Post

Honestly?
This. Sounds. So. Good!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT