Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 08:27 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,753 times

Advertisements

Heard on the news last night that North Beach was closed due to toxic algae blooms. Not exactly part of the Old North End but people in that part of Burlington do swim there when it's open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 07:36 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonnomis View Post
hi,
anyone know what the rose st, near cedar area is like (Burlington vt)? I'm thinking of renting an apartment there.
Thanks
Are you a UVM student? That is an area that typically has a larger number of collage students. That may or may not be an issue for you. Anywhere in that section of town I would recommend seeing the place before you put a deposit down. There are many dumpy apartments around there. Pictures are usually unreliable.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:26 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,592,508 times
I can't stand South Burlington. (Just my personal opinion). No car, no kids---the Old North End is fine. It does have the most crime but come on---nothing like other places. Keep in mind I live most of the year in Baltimore.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,640 times
Default ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonnomis View Post
hi,
anyone know what the rose st, near cedar area is like (Burlington vt)? I'm thinking of renting an apartment there.
Thanks
It's the ghetto. Take my word for it, I have lived in Burlington for 17 years. I wouldn't walk on either of those streets you mentioned, after dark.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:43 PM

172 posts, read 289,669 times
Default Old Noth End is fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
I can't stand South Burlington. (Just my personal opinion). No car, no kids---the Old North End is fine. It does have the most crime but come on---nothing like other places. Keep in mind I live most of the year in Baltimore.
This is an area that I have been looking at for awhile, as I did not care for the "new" north end either. It reminds me so much of the conservative suburban sprawl my partner and I are in the process of escaping. We would like to learn more about it though before making a final decision.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:03 PM

180 posts, read 565,974 times
I live in Old North End. It's a working class neighborhood. I've never been the victim of any kind of violence here, and never been fearful I might. It is a poorer area though, and thusly not as nice looking.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:46 AM

24 posts, read 52,741 times
Avoid: Rose, Cedar, Lafountain, Manhattan Dr, from the belt line to North Ave, North St, Spring St, Archibald. North Ave is ok, Willard is fine. You'll want to avoid Intervale too.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:05 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,909,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starryskye80 View Post
Avoid: Rose, Cedar, Lafountain, Manhattan Dr, from the belt line to North Ave, North St, Spring St, Archibald. North Ave is ok, Willard is fine. You'll want to avoid Intervale too.
This is fairly accurate.

The Old North End isn't that bad, and there are a few surprises here and there, but generally this is Burlington's low-rent district. There is crime there, although it's not overly dangerous. It's probably best to avoid Archibald st. and Intervale Avenue, and stay a little south of there. The neighborhoods definitely improve as you go up the hill, away from the lake--Winooski to Union to Willard to Prospect, and with this comes an increase in UVM student rentals..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT