Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 07:10 AM

9,459 posts, read 5,221,264 times

Advertisements

https://vtdigger.org/2020/09/22/city...urlington-cop/

$300,000K to leave the now bespoiled "Queen City?" (LOL). I'll take it!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2020, 12:25 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Maybe we'll be so lucky all of them demand this and bankrupt the cesspool.

Old 09-22-2020, 02:33 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
This thread title got my attention even though I have no ties to VT, other than ancestors that lived there at the time of the American Revolution.

This buy out reads like a "walk away" agreement. Nothing that would prevent the officer from applying for a job in another police or law enforcement jurisdiction, and 3 years additional pension credit (seniority). I don't know if PDs in VT have some kind of statewide pension pool system, but it is good deal for the BPD officer, certainly a way out of the frying pan.

Old 09-22-2020, 06:26 PM

That’s what I thought. Why not take the deal? He’s already been through the PD review of the use of force & possibly disciplined. The mayor said we can’t fire the guy, the matter has already been dealt with. He’s not being ‘fired,’ he’s being asked to leave w/3 yrs pay to appease the protestors!! Why anyone would want to be a cop nowadays is beyond me.

Old 09-23-2020, 07:32 AM

https://vtdigger.org/2020/09/22/with...eed-to-go-too/

It is truly amazing how B'ton city government capitulates to the mob. One could ask where this ends. Part of the reason I moved to VT was the attraction to Burlington as a lovely city. Not anymore.

Old 09-23-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Maybe we'll be so lucky all of them demand this and bankrupt the cesspool.

They don't want to offer the buy out to the other two ..... I guess it's lost on the protestors how much $$ the city is going to shell out if they did so. That town has gone so far downhill in the last 17 years....I don't even go down there anymore unless I absolutely have to. Big hole in the middle of town. Bums and drug addicts hanging around the bus stops, verbally abusing each other and passersby, the encampment in Battery Park that you can smell as you drive by. But hey, I guess this is okay to those folks who live there. You never hear any complaining.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:43 AM

6,344 posts, read 2,898,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
https://vtdigger.org/2020/09/22/city...urlington-cop/

$300,000K to leave the now bespoiled "Queen City?" (LOL). I'll take it!!!
I should apply to be a cop and beat up some thug so I can get $300,000.

Old 09-27-2020, 10:20 AM

5,114 posts, read 2,668,728 times
Quote:

It is truly amazing how B'ton city government capitulates to the mob. One could ask where this ends. Part of the reason I moved to VT was the attraction to Burlington as a lovely city. Not anymore.

How long ago was it a lovey city? I lived there for a short time some years ago. I didn't find it lovely then either. Oh, the landscape and history are appealing in many ways, but quality-of-life... not so much. I also found local government to be completely unresponsive to any concerns. In contrast, I found South Burlington to be better on a number of fronts even though it was lacking the urban feel. Its local government seemed to be much more pragmatic and focused on cultivating an actual community. I could be wrong, but that is the impression I got in the short time (about a year or so) I was there.

Old 09-28-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
How long ago was it a lovey city? I lived there for a short time some years ago. I didn't find it lovely then either. Oh, the landscape and history are appealing in many ways, but quality-of-life... not so much. I also found local government to be completely unresponsive to any concerns. In contrast, I found South Burlington to be better on a number of fronts even though it was lacking the urban feel. Its local government seemed to be much more pragmatic and focused on cultivating an actual community. I could be wrong, but that is the impression I got in the short time (about a year or so) I was there.
...in 2003 when I arrived here it was lovely. IMO it has gone slowly but steadily downhill since then. I blame it on the liberal/progressive political leadership of the city. Thought Miro Weinberger was doing a decent job until the tore a hole in the middle of the city and the project is now stalled. Combine that with the BLM/Black Femmes/We Hate the Police cadre camped out in Battery Park and it is just not an appealing place anymore. I don't know much about S. Burlington so can't really comment. Downtown B'ton was my go to for a day out...a little shopping, lunch, people watch and then head back to the peace of the sticks where Ilive. Many things have changed but I guess change is inevitable. It might not be good change, though.

Old 09-29-2020, 04:52 AM

5,114 posts, read 2,668,728 times
Quote:
I blame it on the liberal/progressive political leadership of the city.

This scenario is playing out in many areas, although I'm not down with the tendency to lump liberal and progressive into one brand, despite the fact that many contribute to the mislabeling including media, as well as progressives themselves. Progressives are generally illiberal in my view and in many cases regressive, but calling yourself liberal is an even better euphemism than progressive. Part of the problem is that actual liberalism is rare in the political arena these days in my opinion. More and more are heading to the other party. That could be the topic of a completely new thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT