Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 04:06 PM

104 posts, read 338,985 times

Advertisements

My answer to this question is definitely YES!! The big chains serve mediocre food, give horrible service and are ruining our environment. So many cities have abandoned shops and warehouses which could be utilized for new stores, housing and shops. Instead of using those spaces the big boxes use more of our resources to build further outside of the city core which requires their shoppers to drive miles to reach. This not only adds to our traffic problems but for all of the perceived savings it can be difficult for some to actually make it to the store because they don't own a car or can't afford the gas. I could go on an on about this problem but in my mind the answer is simple-think globally and buy locally. When my mom raised us on $5/hour she was only able to put food on our table by the small businesses extending her credit-without those generous business owners we would have been on the street. Buy a house in a walker-friendly neighborhood, buy your goods at the local stores and count your blessings that there are still giving the little guy a shot to succeed. Wal-Mart has brainwashed so many people that they are the best value. Do you really, really think they have your best interest at hand? We can vote with our dollars-take a look around your house-do you really NEED that new pair of undies, socks, tv etc? Chances are no-the previous generation was raised to use it, repair it or live without it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 08:01 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
The big box by us does not give people the best value all the time. I am always finding comparable items cheaper at other stores. The quality of the school supplies are often better at the dollar store by us. The big box quality has consistently been getting more "fall apart cheap" over the years. You're not saving money buying that stuff, if you have to buy it twice because the first time it fell apart.
Every time I buy a replacement, it seems that the replacement item (underwear, sox, etc.) is just a little bit thinner (fabric) and cheaper in comparison, each time.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:13 AM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,393,230 times
I have mixed feelings. Although I like all the choices offered by a Lowes or Best Buy, I miss the smaller businesses too. I love shopping at a small hardware store or an old book store where I gradually get to know the people who work there. It creates a more personal experience vs. a consumer experience, and I'm sure that for people working there, they might also find some reward in getting to know their customers and having more impact on their working environment

Although I can understand the convenience offered by a large mega-store, I don't know why chain restaurants are so appealing. I suppose that they offer predictability. If someone eats at a Chillis in Boston, then they'll feel more comfortable with their food decisions if they eat at a Chillis in Chicago. But when I'm traveling, I want to eat at restaurants that are unique to where I'm visiting. I like the thought that perhaps the owner and two other people decided what they were going to put on the menu or how they were going to decorate the restaurant. There is so much of the personal touch that has been lost today.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:30 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,283 times
We try not to use the big box stores and chains if at all possible. I boycott Walmart and everything else the corp. has it's filthy hands in. I would like to see the Mom and Pop stores come back.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:02 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
The odd thing is that I find this to be a somewhat regional issue. Out here in the Northern California area, especially around San Francisco, the big box chains don't really have all that strong a presence. Mom and Pop stores are very strong and pervasive. Same in Philly and Boston, two other areas I know pretty well back east. However, in places like Columbus, Omaha, Kansas City and Cleveland they dominate the markets. Not familiar with Texas or Florida, but I would think they would be strong there too.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:22 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
I remember when Lowes Hardware was one store in Wilkes County, North Carolina. They were notorious for ignoring shoppers even then.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:41 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Wal Mart came into our towns and ran mom & pop out. Now the only choice we have is Wal Mart and they are dirty, unfriendly and crowded. If we want a choice we have to travel 25+ miles one way for it.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:12 AM

404 posts, read 711,512 times
They are larger employers than mom and pop stores. That's a give in. Unfortunately, these superstores are filled with merchandise from China, if they were filled with MADE IN THE USA, they would be even better.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:22 AM

324 posts, read 883,600 times
I do value the smaller, locally owned stores but sometimes I don't have time to go all over the place to get different things. The larger stores have what I need all in one place so it means less stops for me. If I had more time, I would gladly go to the smaller stores.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:30 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
I do value the smaller, locally owned stores but sometimes I don't have time to go all over the place to get different things. The larger stores have what I need all in one place so it means less stops for me. If I had more time, I would gladly go to the smaller stores.
How on earth can you call yourself Shopaholic, yet find it difficult to find time to shop??? I would think that instead, you would find it annoying to set time aside for anything BUT shopping!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business