Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 11:52 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,527,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
First of all, I'm a she... LOL. The site is a blog, forum, ecommerce and similiar to facebook. I've already checked the competition and there is none locally. I feel 100% confident I will bring business to the people that advertise with me. I've been doing web sites, including ecommerce for many yrs successfully....I'm just expanding. Like I said, the only thing I have never done is sell advertising so that's where I need opinions. I appreciate all the opinions given so far but does anyone have a site and sell advertising? That's who I'd like to speak with if possible. I'd like to know how they set that up and what do they charge in comparison to what I came up with.
If your getting good traffic on your site put up a banner ad saying "ADVERTISE HERE". If you got a lot of traffic that's a good way to get people to advertise with you.

Ebay is an option but I constnatly see people selling banner ads for 99 cents and not selling here's one right now... Banner/Skyscraper Ad On FreeStorageAuctionList.Com Est | eBay

I actually have bought 50k impressions on newspaper sites on ebay before.

Basically you can't compete with larger sites and newspaper sties like CHicagoTribune.com or whatever. You can't compete on trafic or pricing so your giong to have to network with other websites and blogs, try to do banner exchanges so you can run their banner and get one of your own and you dont' have to pay.

Basically it all comes down to reaching out to other sites people aren't going to come to you unless you have a really popular site or huge traffic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 09:58 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,380,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I appreciate all the opinions given so far but does anyone have a site and sell advertising? That's who I'd like to speak with if possible. I'd like to know how they set that up and what do they charge in comparison to what I came up with.
I have. I did a local site with a local yellow pages, reviews, all of it. And I have another one I'm launching now, in my new community. Which is why I feel so strongly about ignoring the cost of advertising on national sites and only looking at other local sites. It's a lot more expensive to advertise on a local site - but the traffic is targeted - local residents and tourists are the only people who will spend any time on the site - and that's exactly who your advertisers want to reach.

Advertising on big national sites is cheap - really cheap - and it's based on number of impressions.

Advertising on small local sites is a lot more expensive - if you only look at impressions - but it's targeted and it's local - and it's generally a lot more effective for local advertisers. So it's worth more! Especially if you end up designing the ads, which you probably end up doing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business