Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2011, 08:32 AM

243 posts, read 1,207,200 times

Advertisements

I am at a point where I may need to hire someone to manage my inventory. Watching stock, creating PO's, etc. This would be at least part time.

I can do it myself. I have been doing it for 15 years. Problem? I am hitting a wall when I want to start looking for someone with the qualifications?

This may sound crazy but I am not sure what I need to look for in a persons skill set ? Outsourcing options since this is all online sales?

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 10:24 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,769,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyJ View Post
I am at a point where I may need to hire someone to manage my inventory. Watching stock, creating PO's, etc. This would be at least part time.

I can do it myself. I have been doing it for 15 years. Problem? I am hitting a wall when I want to start looking for someone with the qualifications?

This may sound crazy but I am not sure what I need to look for in a persons skill set ? Outsourcing options since this is all online sales?

Thoughts?

Thanks!
I would look for a software solution first particularly since it is all online sales. I don't know what accounting software package you are using but there are tons of integration opportunities for QuickBooks that can automate just about any process. Even simply using QuickBooks point of sale can automate the P.O. process for the most part.

http://marketplace.intuit.com/

Old 07-17-2011, 10:35 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
OCD personalities might work well.

From personal experience, rigid organization and setting par levels are key. In theatres, concession stock and cashier tills are often inventoried multiple times in a day. There is simply no way this is practical or possible without pre-set levels and extreme organization.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:40 AM

243 posts, read 1,207,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I would look for a software solution first particularly since it is all online sales. I don't know what accounting software package you are using but there are tons of integration opportunities for QuickBooks that can automate just about any process. Even simply using QuickBooks point of sale can automate the P.O. process for the most part.

http://marketplace.intuit.com/

Thanks
I have looked into software solutions with minimal luck. I need a package that imports orders from ebay, amazon, csv files. From there it would be easy to do, yes.

Jason

Old 07-18-2011, 08:16 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,996,913 times
I agree with the OCD personality requirement (I don't have it and would completely screw up your inventory).

The best thing you can do is spend a couple days writing down your processes exactly the way your employee would do it. That will help with hiring ("Here's what you will do"), it helps with training and might highlight the most important skills.

Alternatively, you could think about hiring a computer techie on a short term contract basis to get things more automated so you could spend much less time doing it yourself. Lot's of people out there that could do it, and would leave you in control.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:39 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,022,681 times
someone OCD about details and drilling out alternative solutions. (You want someone with the answers, NOT a PITA 'nagger'.

Experienced and creative (I personally would look for an 'early retiree' who has a wealth of broad experience)
Self starter and sufficient (to leave you free to WORK)
Reliable (to free you from worry / covering THEM + YOU)

Honest, integrity.

Someone you can give scenarios to during interview, and they amaze you with their robust and confident solutions.

Complimentary skill set to your own (help in directing the business to new success)

Old 07-23-2011, 03:32 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyJ View Post
Thanks
I have looked into software solutions with minimal luck. I need a package that imports orders from ebay, amazon, csv files. From there it would be easy to do, yes.

Jason
I private msgd you a program I've been using for what seems like 10 years, that does all of what you need.. Importing orders, emailing customers, creating PO's, integrating with postage. I assume I can post the company name here, not being affiliated with them and thus I dont think it would classify as spam.

Stone Edge Technologies

You can tell by reading my other 30,000+ postings that I NEVER promote individual companies, so the fact that I am here, tells you how confident I am with their product. My 1-2 person, internet company does 10,000 sales a week, millions of products in the inventory, and auto creates po's from 2,000 vendors. I couldnt live without this product. Trust me, I've tried.. Qbon

Last edited by pghquest; 07-23-2011 at 03:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business