Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2011, 01:38 PM

8,069 posts, read 12,784,000 times

Advertisements

This is just a little rant. I am working with QuickBooks as a pro advisor. I get a call from a potential client who wants a simple set up service and some training. I charge by the service and would have charged him 260 dollars for the complete set up and two hours training. He starts insisting that I get paid by the hour at his set rate of 15 dollars an hour. He also insists it is going to take three days to set it up and that it must be done at his location.

I tried to explain that if he paid my standard rate it would be cheaper because 3 days at 15 dollars an hour (8 hours) would be 360 dollars. He insisted it be done in his office.

I can probably set his file up in three hours and with the additional two hours training I have invested 5 hours at a rate of close to 50 dollars an hour. (which is the national average charged for this service). This guy wants an independent contractor to work for employee wages AND has no clue how long it will take or what is involved.

I find it humerous that there is an expectation that people will just give away their services. If it is so easy to do he only feels a need to pay 15 dollars an hour I don't understand why he doesn't just do it himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 01:42 PM

525 posts, read 899,891 times
Anytime someone mentions an hourly rate for work that I am in business to do I respectfully decline-thank you- Those customers will be the ones calling you back every time they stub their toenail. Then they want your expertise for freeeeeee.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:45 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
$15 an hour? Funny. Tell him go go down to McDonald's and see if a burger flipper wants the job.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:56 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
This is just a little rant. I am working with QuickBooks as a pro advisor. I get a call from a potential client who wants a simple set up service and some training. I charge by the service and would have charged him 260 dollars for the complete set up and two hours training. He starts insisting that I get paid by the hour at his set rate of 15 dollars an hour. He also insists it is going to take three days to set it up and that it must be done at his location.

I tried to explain that if he paid my standard rate it would be cheaper because 3 days at 15 dollars an hour (8 hours) would be 360 dollars. He insisted it be done in his office.

I can probably set his file up in three hours and with the additional two hours training I have invested 5 hours at a rate of close to 50 dollars an hour. (which is the national average charged for this service). This guy wants an independent contractor to work for employee wages AND has no clue how long it will take or what is involved.

I find it humerous that there is an expectation that people will just give away their services. If it is so easy to do he only feels a need to pay 15 dollars an hour I don't understand why he doesn't just do it himself.
Considering how hard-headed and dumb this guy is, it may indeed take you 3 days to train him.

There is nothing like realizing a potential customer is going to be more trouble than they are worth early on, and declining to get involved. No doubt there are all sorts of service providers, from doctors and lawyers to lawn care people, who can tell some tales of how they would have been better to take the day off than take on a nutjob...

Old 10-14-2011, 04:07 PM

8,069 posts, read 12,784,000 times
You guys are right, it is best to know upfront what kind of client they are.

The reason I referred to him as an idiot rather than a cheap bas***d is that he was insisting he pay MORE than what was required and just arbitrarily pulled the number of hours he thought it would require out of his buttocks.

Oh well, just needed to vent. This isn't the first time it has happened though, just a few months back a guy setting up a new temporary agency wanted help setting up and training his staff how to use QuickBooks and offered to hire me as a temp for 12 bucks an hour.

Maybe the economy is making people unrealistic about their ability to "get a deal".

You are right Heetseaker, clients like that will be on you continuously expecting the same rate. My business model depends on a continued relationship with clients as their needs grow. It is pointless to take on clients that won't be profitable.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:20 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Walk away. A man who disrespects your price so badly is not a man who will value what you do.

In fact, while I have my own billing rate/hour just to help me price assignments, I always quote a flat fee. This actually benefits both the client and me. For the client now has a budget that, as long as the scope of the work remains the same, he can rely on. And I have a financial incentive to be efficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business