Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 09:01 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,409,524 times

Advertisements

Can you guys share any benefits or negatives about S-corp versus regular corporations for a small business? If I don't pay myself a salary, is it beneficial to have an S-corp?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 09:39 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,093,812 times
A S-corp is a pass-through entity and the benefits/negatives depend on what you're doing. There is really no way to answer this generally, it depends on the details.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:58 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,215,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Can you guys share any benefits or negatives about S-corp versus regular corporations for a small business? If I don't pay myself a salary, is it beneficial to have an S-corp?
Are you planning on living off of draws from the accumulated earnings of your proposed S Corporation?

The IRS would frown upon this, you always need to pay a reasonable salary if financially able to do so.

S Corporation passes through, limits legal liability, and the earnings will be reported via a schedule k-1.

Losses in an S Corporation are only deductible as long as you have positive accumulated earnings (AAA).

Old 02-29-2012, 10:42 PM

77 posts, read 192,149 times
S Corporation:

You have to pay yourself a reasonable salary (when compared to similar compensation in your industry).

Income and losses flow through to the owner.

You have limited liability like any corporation.

You are limited to the number of shareholders you may have, and who may be an shareholder.

C Corporation:

It is not a pass-through entity so the income gets taxed as the corporate level, and then again when you get a dividend distribution.

None of the s-corp shareholder restrictions.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:01 AM

So, for an S-corp I file personal income taxes w/ an extra form.

For a C-corp I file my personal income taxes and Also file corporate income taxes?

Which one allows me to take the most deductions?

Old 03-01-2012, 10:14 PM

That is not how it works at all. Consult a local CPA.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLemon View Post
That is not how it works at all. Consult a local CPA.
I can't afford a local CPA until I get actual profits. At any rate, thanks for the feedback, guys.

I'll keep the regular corporation and pay myself dividends. If there are any problems I'm sure I'll get to learn the correct method at tax time.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:14 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,093,812 times
Quote:
I can't afford a local CPA until I get actual profits. At any rate, thanks for the feedback, guys.

I'll keep the regular corporation and pay myself dividends. If there are any problems I'm sure I'll get to learn the correct method at tax time.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:

That's a terrible plan. You should figure out the tax consequences now. BTW, why do you want to have your entity be a corporation?

Old 03-04-2012, 04:16 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,795,818 times
Quote:

If that is the case and logic you really should rethink your plan or can it all together. That mentality of taking the gamble is a perfect setup for disaster.

Pay a bit now or pay tons more in fees and fines later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business