Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2007, 03:43 PM

281 posts, read 1,108,194 times

Advertisements

I am trying to secure a slogan I have for a pending business and don't know if I can. I know copywriting doesn't include a phrase, which I would interpret as a slogan and trademarks are usually designs...is there anything out there to protect a slogan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 04:44 PM

726 posts, read 1,229,055 times
To "copywrite" dated/printed, material all one needs to do is mail said copy of dated material to oneself and leave it unopened.
Muse

Old 09-27-2007, 06:23 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,392,121 times
Slogans, tag lines, wordmarks and salesmarks are all trademarkable. You'll need to do a trademark search or hire someone to do it for you to make sure it's eligible and not already in use. Once you know it's clear, you fill out an application and pay your fee. You can start using the pending mark right away; you'll receive an official letter when your trademark is approved and then you can use the register mark.

To copyright written material, file an application with the Library of Congress. It's inexpensive and it affords you full legal protection. If it's something that matters or might someday be open to legal scrutiny, I would go through the proper channels. If you ever have to defend a copyright, you'll need all the protection you can get. I learned this one the hard way. Good luck!

Old 09-28-2007, 12:27 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,837,966 times
To check the USPTO database, start here:
Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS)

You'll want to check classification. See, you can use a slogan in specific categories relevant to your "good or service":

But someone else can trademark it for their shirts:
...now it just happens that Verizon also owns it. But a DIFFERENT company could have trademarked that phrase in a different category.

For example, someone who produces a hearing device could trademark that phrase, and shouldn't run into a problem with "brand dilution" of the Verizon slogan. If it's too close, then the trademark application will normally be rejected by the USPTO office.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:00 AM
JMX

313 posts, read 1,175,025 times
What you're describing could be either a trademark or service mark. Trademarks are used to distinguish products or brands, while service marks are used to distinguish services.

You don't really have to do anything other than start using the slogan in the marketplace. Just place a small TM or SM after the slogan. Filing is optional, but it does provide you extra protection so it is worthwhile.

Here in Arizona, you would file a form at the Secretary of State's office. Pretty simple really. Your state may be different.

File with the USPTO office if you want/need federal protection of your mark. Once the USPTO office approves your application, then you can start using the circled-R symbol to indicate that your slogan is a registered trademark or service mark.

Trademark FAQ

Old 09-30-2007, 08:53 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,372,728 times
Just remember that you can do this yourself. I did. The other posters gave excellent advice. Go to the US patent office after you have done your search. You will be asked for graphic/font/specifics about the slogan - PM me if you need some help. Do make very certain no other entity is using the same slogan. Good luck to you.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 31,314 times
Cool I need to secure a slogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Barnes View Post
I am trying to secure a slogan I have for a pending business and don't know if I can. I know copywriting doesn't include a phrase, which I would interpret as a slogan and trademarks are usually designs...is there anything out there to protect a slogan?
Please tell me how I can secure a slogan that I have.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:25 PM

673 posts, read 2,716,670 times
Why are you trademarking the slogan? So that someone can't prevent you from using it or to prevent someone else from using it? If the latter, you need to consider whether you have the financial means to enforce the trademark through legal action.

As far as establishing the trademark, JMX is right that you can just start putting TM next to your slogan. That's an unregistered trademark. But an unregistered trademark may not be recognized in all jurisdictions.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:53 PM

1 posts, read 21,006 times
i have a slogan that i want to put on hats and t shirts but i dont know how to protect my self i have read all of the post but still confused

Old 12-02-2011, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 17,257 times
Default Please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Just remember that you can do this yourself. I did. The other posters gave excellent advice. Go to the US patent office after you have done your search. You will be asked for graphic/font/specifics about the slogan - PM me if you need some help. Do make very certain no other entity is using the same slogan. Good luck to you.

Hi I'm also trying to trademark a slogan or tag line for a brand. Please let me know the way to go.

Thanks so much for your time. I also want to trademark a jean brand, real estate name, etc. Is there a fee for each name?

Lastly if the tag line goes with the Jean brand do I have to TM them both?

Thanks in advance for our advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business